GWU/Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepaholic

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview invite from GWU . . . anyone know anything about this program, or georgetown?thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! Go to their website and/or google their program. You might receive some feedback. Good luck on your interview!

I've never seen much posted here on any of the DC programs. The Georgetown page appears quite outdated (list of current residents is for the year 1999-2000!). I think I'll try my chances elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man that Georgetown site is an embarrassment. They should take it down. Or get rid of all the totally out of date material.
:rolleyes:
It is really pretty much worse than no webpage.

I just got an interview invite from GWU . . . anyone know anything about this program, or georgetown?thanks!

Our program (Walter Reed) has a little contact with GWU. They cover AP/CP at the VA in the Washington Hospital Center where we do our clinical chemistry rotation. We also see them on rotations when they come to the AFIP for electives. I don't know much about their program other than they don't see very much derm (they go to the AFIP to see derm), and that they have conferences on Tuesday mornings for several hours (instead of daily). They do their forensic rotations at the DC medical examiners.

cjw0918 is a resident there so maybe you can PM her for some more info.

Our program (Walter Reed) has a little contact with GWU. They cover AP/CP at the VA in the Washington Hospital Center where we do our clinical chemistry rotation. We also see them on rotations when they come to the AFIP for electives. I don't know much about their program other than they don't see very much derm (they go to the AFIP to see derm), and that they have conferences on Tuesday mornings for several hours (instead of daily). They do their forensic rotations at the DC medical examiners.

cjw0918 is a resident there so maybe you can PM her for some more info.

Hey, what is happening with the Walter Reed path program with the restructuring?

I feel so embarrassed for that site...did you see that the Grand Rounds being advertised is for March 2002?

I've never seen much posted here on any of the DC programs. The Georgetown page appears quite outdated (list of current residents is for the year 1999-2000!). I think I'll try my chances elsewhere.
No dis intended, but it seems that mainly the "top programs" have info posted about them. I can't even recall too many interviews mentioned at "lower ranked" programs although you KNOW somebody here has to be interviewing there.

And yeah, the sec'ys don't impress me as the smartest apples on the tree but the faculty and residents seem decent to me, of course giving a premed point of view.

Check out the disinterested pathologist with his head supported by his hand. :sleep:

Hey, what is happening with the Walter Reed path program with the restructuring?

Right now, nothing. Their projected date for BRAC completion varies everytime I hear about it. The earliest estimates are 2010-2012. I'll be long gone by then, and most likely, even out of the Army.

I think everyone agrees that it will be the best thing for almost everyone involved (except drivers, but then again, DC traffic is a nightmare anyway...). For our program, I think it will be a great thing. We split our time between Walter Reed and Bethesda anyway (which is a real pain-in-the-ass sometimes), so moving everything to Bethesda will be a good move for the residents.

But first they have to:
1. Build a completely new hospital in Virginia.
2. Double or triple the beds at Bethesda.
3. Vastly expand parking at Bethesda (which is bad... not Walter Reed bad, but bad enough)

The biggest concern for pathologists is the AFIP. Dissolving the AFIP would be a mistake of monumental proportions (they have 1.5 million gross cases in their archives, 6 million slide cases... really the place is simply amazing). Just about everyone you ask would tell you that. IMO the best thing to do would be to take it from under DoD command and move it to NIH (make it the NIP perhaps?). As long as the military and VA systems still got to consult there for free, and as long as they still guaranteed training spots to military fellows.

This would be the smartest move. Only a small fraction of the AFIP staff are military, and most of those are not chair or senior departmental staff.

But again, they haven't finalized plans for anything, so everybody could forget they did the whole BRAC thing to begin with :)

Funny you all bring up the sorry state of Georgetown's website (actually GW's was out of date as well until recently and still needs to be redone). My spouse is the creative director for a firm in the district and they are in 'conversation' with Georgetown about getting the contract to redo the entire hospital, etc. website. Who knows when this will happen... (And when it does, if it still sucks, I guess you'll know who to blame:) )

I don't know all the details of the GW program, although the resident handbook with the description of each rotation can be found on the website. The residents rotate through the VA, AFIP, Children's, and the Office of the ME.

From my experience the attendings are excellent instructors, friendly, and love what they do. This is one of the reasons why the second year pathology course is one of the students' favorite. The residents do serve as small group leaders for the second year student course.

The volume of surgical specimens has increased with the new hospital as many surgeons have been lured back into operating at GW in the new facility.

From what I understand, Clinical Path isn't as much of a passive experience as it can be at many programs. There are excellent CP attendings.

While research isn't a strong point, there are opportunities if desired (electives at NIH are an option). Also, there is access to an AIDS and cancer tissue bank. I'm not sure about current projects, but in the past there has been activity in AIDS and, I believe, prostate cancer.

There is at least one PA, the current is excellent although will be leaving. And overall, I'd say the atmosphere is benign. Both residents and attendings seem happy and appear to get along well. Attendings have told me that it is a truly collegial atmosphere without the internal competition that can sometimes be present in an academic setting.

In terms of complaints, I would say that the biggest issue is a lack of monetary resources to update equipment and such.

I hope this has been helpful.

-P.

Anyone else have trouble scheduling an interview at georgetown? They didnt include a phone number in the invite, so I emailed them last week. So far I haven't heard anything.