GWU vs. Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to choose between George Washington University and Georgetown by the 15th, but I'm having a tough time making this decision. Here are my thoughts:

At Georgetown I really like the emphasis they place on the Cura Personalis philosophy (care for the whole person, etc.) Also, whether or not it's a good thing, the better "name" is a factor that makes me want to choose it. However, I don't have a sense as to how happy students are or how well they are listened to.

At GWU the students appear to be pretty happy so this is less of a mystery here. Also, I very much want an MPH, and GWU offers an MD/MPH dual degree in 4 years, which would be great to be able to do.

Does anyone have any advice they can offer me? It would be great to hear what you know, especially about Georgetown since it remains a bigger mystery to me than GWU (GWU has much better marketing). Thanks a lot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

i dunno. i was rejected by GU, so i can't say much there. GW has a really sweet new hospital though. that might be something to think about.

At GWU there is a Metro stop literally in front of the medical school and hospital. The closest Metro stop to Georgetown is at Rosslyn, VA approx. 1 mile from Georgetown. Georgetown operates a shuttle, but there is often a large wait to cross the Key Bridge so add another 25 minutes to your commute.
GWU is all about the $$$$. GWU never lets you forget that you (the students) are viewed by the administration as just another financial instrument to generate income. The administration uses its education mission to gain some legitimacy as it pursues increasing its real estate holdings but as an undergraduate student, GWU gives you the impression that education is just a booger it would like to flick. If money and your financial stability as a student is a cause of stress in your life; do not attend GWU. They will only aggrevate your stress.
"Where's my two dollars?!" :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked both when I interviewed there. However, overall if I had to choose I would pick gtown. It seemed to me that the people were cooler there, and the surroundings are awesome (although the med. school itself is kind of a hole). Cura personalis isnt bad either, but my experiences from undergrad where they had a "catchy" philosophy tell me that it probably isnt that unique in practice.

i would pick gwu.

gravy4thebrain said:
At GWU there is a Metro stop literally in front of the medical school and hospital. The closest Metro stop to Georgetown is at Rosslyn, VA approx. 1 mile from Georgetown. Georgetown operates a shuttle, but there is often a large wait to cross the Key Bridge so add another 25 minutes to your commute.
GWU is all about the $$$$. GWU never lets you forget that you (the students) are viewed by the administration as just another financial instrument to generate income. The administration uses its education mission to gain some legitimacy as it pursues increasing its real estate holdings but as an undergraduate student, GWU gives you the impression that education is just a booger it would like to flick. If money and your financial stability as a student is a cause of stress in your life; do not attend GWU. They will only aggrevate your stress.
"Where's my two dollars?!" :smuggrin:

Bitter, party of one?

Brickhouse said:
Bitter, party of one?

My sentiments exactly Dr. House...

I don't know about GU's program, however, I met both GW and GU students at a party when I went there. The GU students were very happy there (however I don't remember why... sorry... I was a bit liquored up at the time) Have you spoken to GU about a second look? I chose GW cause of the facilities/technology and the people... oh yeah and I'll be doing the 4 year MD/MPH too... we could be classmates in that too!

Best of luck in your decision. I think either way you'll have a wonderful and enriching 4 years. Let us know what you decide!

Go with GWU. And when G-town asks why you withdrew say, "Because you rejected Chamelonknight...he was a cool guy." :p

chameleonknight said:
Go with GWU. And when G-town asks why you withdrew say, "Because you rejected Chamelonknight...he was a cool guy." :p

no way ! I'm sorry to hear! Looks like we won't be roommies??? :(