H1-B Versus EB2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentj5

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As non US-citizens, I know that two of the ways we can practice in the US after getting licensed are the H1-B visa and the EB2 employment-based green card. As the latter (EB2) sounds way more appealing, I was wondering why would people go through the former if the H1-B process is lottery-based? Any input is appreciated, as I am a bit lost!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

As non US-citizens, I know that two of the ways we can practice in the US after getting licensed are the H1-B visa and the EB2 employment-based green card. As the latter (EB2) sounds way more appealing, I was wondering why would people go through the former if the H1-B process is lottery-based? Any input is appreciated, as I am a bit lost!

Because you cannot apply for EB2 green card until you have a valid H1B visa. and the wait period to actually receive the Green card is different for citizens of different country. If you are a citizen of any asian country, then the wait period to actually receive the Green Card is maybe 100 years or so.

Because you cannot apply for EB2 green card until you have a valid H1B visa. and the wait period to actually receive the Green card is different for citizens of different country. If you are a citizen of any asian country, then the wait period to actually receive the Green Card is maybe 100 years or so.

When I google the requirements for the eB2 green card it never mentions that one needs an H1B visa. How did you get this information? Is it because of the wait time to get the green card? Also, I'm European and the wait time usually is 1-4 years for me. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need to have H1B to be able to apply for EB2 green card but you do need a sponsoring employer who is willing to do your green card. Do you already have a future job offer?

You do not need to have H1B to be able to apply for EB2 green card but you do need a sponsoring employer who is willing to do your green card. Do you already have a future job offer?
No I'm starting dental school this summer (all 4 years) but before deciding which school to attend I wanted more information on the process! Thank you for your answer!

good luck to you. it might also be useful to consult with an immigration attorney. there are lot of attorneys who provide free initial consultation. you still got long ways to go but it's useful to have all that information ready!