Hackensack Meridian vs NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ltg97

Reaction score
Hackensack:

Pros
- 3 year program, can go straight into select residencies within the Meridian system (large NJ system) as a third year
- alternatively, can get an MPH, MBA, do research, do advanced rotations, or obtain a masters in bioengineering after 3rd year
- roughly $100,000 cheaper
- new curriculum is malleable, students have a say in the education
- flipped classroom style
- clinical experiences from beginning of first year

Cons
-
new program, not really sure if the "prestige" is there
- may not have as many residency choices in third year
- May have difficulty obtaining competitive residencies or fellowships later down the line

NYMC
Pros
-
established school and curriculum, which can open doors for residencies
- students seem very happy there, great learning atmosphere
- a lot of clubs, extracurriculars, and enriching experiences outside of the core curriculum
- a chance at competitive residencies

cons
- expensive
- 4 years (as compared to Hackensack's 3)
- traditional curriculum (2 years classroom then 2 years rotation). I was always hoping for more hands on education

I am not aiming for the very top like dermatology, but I do want to keep residency doors open.
I have heard many people say to "go to the cheapest school you get into". I have also heard people say "since Step 1 is pass/fail, go to the best school you get into". My dilemma is, is the established New York Medical College prestigious enough to help me be competitive for residencies (such as ENT, surgery, oncology, anesthesia, radiology, Immunology) or is the 3 years + tuition difference + the guaranteed residency at Hackensack too good a deal to pass up?

Members don't see this ad.

Does the Hackensack system offer established residencies in the more competitive specialties you’re interested in?

It offers some residencies that I am interested, but not all of them. From what I have heard they are planning to expand the options in the coming years.

It offers some residencies that I am interested, but not all of them. From what I have heard they are planning to expand the options in the coming years.
But you’re able to apply out to outside programs too I assume?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I can apply to outside programs if I choose to stay a fourth year, but that would diminish the biggest pro of Hackensack- to do it in 3 years

Yes I can apply to outside programs if I choose to stay a fourth year, but that would diminish the biggest pro of Hackensack- to do it in 3 years
To understand fully, is Hackensack 100k cheaper because it is a 3 year program, or would it still be 100k cheaper if you finish in 4 years?

To understand fully, is Hackensack 100k cheaper because it is a 3 year program, or would it still be 100k cheaper if you finish in 4 years?
It is 100K cheaper if I do it in 3 years, if I take 4 years its 60K cheaper.
If I want to do 4 years of med school I think it makes sense to go to NYMC