Had falling out with physician and quit scribe job during Covid19 pandemic. Should I include scribe job in activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1049356

After graduating from uni I worked as a medical scribe in the ED. I started training in June 2019 and worked for a full year until February 2020. I really enjoyed the position, as I was able to learn a lot about working in a busy clinic as well as developing my interpersonal skills when interacting with patients. I also really enjoyed seeing the diverse cases on a daily basis. When I first started, my boss and I had a really good working relationship. Around January 2020, my boss noticed that I failed to document something during a visit and our relationship turned really sour after that. It came to the point where my boss started to state that I do not deserve to be a medical student and that if I put my scribe position down in my AMCAS activities list he will give any schools that contact him a negative review of me even if they just want to verify hours. Should I still put my scribe position down on my AMCAS? I felt like I had a genuine experience working with the patients that I saw and I would like to talk about it, but I also do not want a negative statement from a physician. I am also only asking because I did not have any other manager that oversaw my work to list as a verifier.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
You can list scribe without ever saying where you were a scribe at. That information is not mandatory.

Reactions: 3 users
When it asks you to list a contact you can list HR or the department leader's number.

So sorry you experienced this :(

Reactions: 2 users
After graduating from uni I worked as a medical scribe in the ED. I started training in June 2019 and worked for a full year until February 2020. I really enjoyed the position, as I was able to learn a lot about working in a busy clinic as well as developing my interpersonal skills when interacting with patients. I also really enjoyed seeing the diverse cases on a daily basis. When I first started, my boss and I had a really good working relationship. Around January 2020, my boss noticed that I failed to document something during a visit and our relationship turned really sour after that. It came to the point where my boss started to state that I do not deserve to be a medical student and that if I put my scribe position down in my AMCAS activities list he will give any schools that contact him a negative review of me even if they just want to verify hours. Should I still put my scribe position down on my AMCAS? I felt like I had a genuine experience working with the patients that I saw and I would like to talk about it, but I also do not want a negative statement from a physician. I am also only asking because I did not have any other manager that oversaw my work to list as a verifier.

Yikes! Sorry, you had to go through that. Unless you have sufficient clinical experiences otherwise, you should probably list it. Like said above, list a higher-up manager as the point of contact and when asked about it, try to generally talk about what you got out of the experience. If asked about a time you dealt with conflict, you can talk about the experience except that I would try and avoid specifics. Try not to let your interviewer put the pieces together and make it about the way you changed course and learned from the experience.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user