hair color makes a difference? what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LupaCupcake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you take a quick look to the left you will notice that I have red hair. I was told by someone that I should dye my hair chocolate brown because it will make me more approachable and when it comes time for interviews that may help.

Really?

I am somehow not approachable because my hair is red?

I mean I thought my tattoos made me not approachable more than my hair color hehe (I can hide all of them, no one would know I was tatted until it was too late and I was already admitted:laugh:)

Anyone ever tell you to change your hair color for med school?
(even if you tell me to change my hair to chocolate brown I probably won't listen, I love being a redhead)

Members don't see this ad.

!!! I think you're fine. (I mean, daaayyyummm girl, you fine!)

It's not like your hair is lime green.

If you take a quick look to the left you will notice that I have red hair. I was told by someone that I should dye my hair chocolate brown because it will make me more approachable and when it comes time for interviews that may help.

Really?

I mean I thought my tattoos made me not approachable more than my hair color hehe (I can hide all of them, no one would know I was tatted until it was too late and I was already admitted:laugh:)

(even if you tell me to change my hair to chocolate brown I probably won't listen, I love being a redhead)

I'm going to be blunt, because I can't think of any other response: that's got to be the stupidest advice I've ever heard, and if any med school interviewer would judge your approachability based on your hair color, you don't want to go to that school anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be blunt, because I can't think of any other response: that's got to be the stupidest advice I've ever heard.
Agree.

OP, whoever told you that has discredited themselves as a legitimate source of any and all advice concerning medical school applications. Feel free to disregard them completely. As for tats, even that's not that big of a deal these days. Cover them up for interviews as much as you can, because some of the old-timers might not like them. Ditto for once you hit the wards, but that shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't have them on your face or neck. Also, it looks like you have your bottom lip pierced; if so, take that out for interviews too. Same reason.

Yea...I was kinda like "huh?" I didn't think it was legitimate, but I was curious if anyone else said stuff like this to you.

Honestly...I think she was hatin on me, total hatin! brought out the hatorade
(yes you can call me a dork for saying that)

I say that because she said some other stuff in the past that was a little passive aggressive.

That's kind of crazy... I think you have beautiful hair. I think the main thing is to follow business guidelines, the hospital I worked for just didn't want anyone to have unnatural hair colors, like blue or pink.

Agree.

OP, whoever told you that has discredited themselves as a legitimate source of any and all advice concerning medical school applications. Feel free to disregard them completely. As for tats, even that's not that big of a deal these days. Cover them up for interviews as much as you can, because some of the old-timers might not like them. Ditto for once you hit the wards, but that shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't have them on your face or neck. Also, it looks like you have your bottom lip pierced; if so, take that out for interviews too. Same reason.

hehe..yes my lip is pierced, so is my nostril and my earlobes are stretched to a 0g. I hide all of it very well though, I know it is not professional. All tats are in areas easily hidden by clothing unless I sport tank tops or shorts. I have flesh colored retainers for all piercings so you can't even see a hole, just looks like skin. I have fleshy plugs for my earlobes as well that I can put normal earrings in, I pop those in and slide a small pair of pearl studs in the plug. No one can tell. I hide my body art/decor everyday for my daycare business.

I would never walk into an interview or work with my piercings or tats visible, I know better than that.:)

OP, whoever told you that has discredited themselves as a legitimate source of any and all advice concerning medical school applications. Feel free to disregard them completely.

+1

Literally made me laugh out loud. :laugh:

Really?

No way! Be who you are! As long as your hair isn't electric purple or something (some unnatural dyed color) it's perfectly fine. Don't hide who you are.

Really?

Last edited:
If you are a natural red head or a 'natural looking' red head, then that is indeed stupid advice.

On the other hand, if you have obviously died hair that is too brash/garish/etc to be taken 'seriously', then the person may have a point. This may not be a popular comment, but it is a fact. I'm a natural brunette with olive skin... if I showed up with tasetful highlights it would probably not impact my interview one way or another. on the other hand if I showed up with bleach blonde hair or brassy red hair I would look stupid and I bet you anything it would negatively impact the interviewers impression of me.

Fellow redhead here. It's memorable in the sea of blonde and brunette...I think it's fair to say that my looks have never interfered with my ability to get a job, get into PA school, get into med school...no worries. Just give them more positive things to remember you by (in addition to your lovely hair). ;)

<---that is me
My hair is not brash or :eek:OMG LOOK AT MY HAIR :laugh: