Hair issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone mentioned piercings and i was wondering how unprofessional those appear... I have a very small (0.01 carat white diamond stud) nose piercing but it's cultural... I got through med school interviews fine, but is it possible that patients/supervisors will think me unprofessional?

hot. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Anything out of the realm of "conservative" will invariably be talked about by someone in the medical establishment at some point, and unfortunately no one ever knows when they're going to run into that person. "Small nose studs" are acceptable at my school, but stories abound about the people who have actually tried that in clinical settings. Ditto for any hint of cleavage, tasteful tattoos, obviously dyed hair . . .

The other aspect of this thread I was suprised no one mentioned: I don't know where the OP lives, but in my (heavily Asian population) area, Asian girls who dye their hair blonde are considered . . . how shall we say . . . "of questionable morals" and tend to be the butt of a lot of jokes. Blonde highlights are okay, but full blonde is thought of as, well, kind of trashy. The OP might want to take the temperature of the cities that she applies to, because at least where I live, people tend not to take girls like this too seriously.

Where are you from? I'm from Oregon and I know a few Asian girls with a blonde hair. Most dye their hair brown, but that's only a result of how hard it is to get it blonde, lol. I understand how it may make me look of.. questionable morals though.

Just to let everyone know.. I've decided to make it easier for myself and if an interview for me ever comes.. I'll dye my hair brown! Brown is okay, right? =)

Critical Mass: :love: I think you're the nicest person on the forum I've met so far, lol. :laugh: Your love is appreciated. Thanks for loving me and my blonde head!

Where are you from? I'm from Oregon and I know a few Asian girls with a blonde hair. Most dye their hair brown, but that's only a result of how hard it is to get it blonde, lol. I understand how it may make me look of.. questionable morals though.

I'll PM you. I get a little paranoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
the first day of med school they talk about openness and being accepting

every day after that its an issue of professionalism. they want their doctors to be trimmed, clean, in shape people.

that said - if its cultural (nose piercing on indian-asians, etc.) it's fine. people at this level are worldly enough to understand. however non asian-indians with piercings such as that distastefully done (ie huge dumbell piercings through the septa, etc.) are not well received.

hypocritical? maybe. but it happens. if you are naturally blond, fine. if not, you may want to rethink it. it also depends if ur tryna get buddy buddy with someone in a field who's ultraconservative.

ive had facial hair for years. one doc here im getting buddy buddy with for a recommendation is ultra-conservative. the facial hair is now gone. i think its a fair trade off; play the game appropriately. it's not like i need the hair to live. just have to shell out a little more money on razors. so make your decisions appropriately

I know, I feel like I'm going to ask a stupid question again, lol.

Alright, here goes.. are there any professional guidelines by how your hair should look during med school/rotations and such. I'm Asian and I have blonde hair. I personally never thought it was a big deal, but some people find it unprofessional. While volunteering, people have always been hesitant because I'm Asian and I have blonde hair. I know, this is dumb, but does it really matter? Will it affect how others, physicians and what not, will think of me?

There ya go.

But since you're still in undergrad, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do whatever you want with your hair. In a few years you might prefer a different color/style.

If I could jump in on this discussion for a minute...as you can see in my avatar I have a chest tattoo...along with six others, all tasteful text in various ancient languages (a personal hobby) that range from the highly visible (forearms) to otherwise. The tattoos garner a real mix of responses, but generally people are disarmed and love to chat about WHY I have x y or z tattooed on my arm/clavicle/etc....professionally speaking I've actually found my tattoos to be a positive effector: curiousity is a great stimulus. Which doesn't exactly pertain to hair color...but I think confidence is key.

Anyone have any opinions on tattoos?

If I could jump in on this discussion for a minute...as you can see in my avatar I have a chest tattoo...along with six others, all tasteful text in various ancient languages (a personal hobby) that range from the highly visible (forearms) to otherwise.

I'm going to have to see these before I can give you my opinion.

Wait, even I barely noticed my "roots" in that pic. :laugh: I usually do a good job of getting my roots covered up. I try to get it done when it gets out to an inch.

Now, I have asked my pharmacy advisor about it, and she said I shouldn't worry too much right now. Apparently, a lot of blonde Asians have gone off to pharmacy school, not too sure about medical school though.

Is my blonde hair important to me? I don't know. I've been blonde for three years now, it feels like it's just me. However, for the sake of medical school, I would def. be willing to darken up the color.
I also noticed your roots and your two-toned thing going on at the bottom. I think the color is very nice, but two toned is a bit too much especially since, yes your natural hair color would be closer to a brown. Dye your hair if you want, but keep it simple.

If I could jump in on this discussion for a minute...as you can see in my avatar I have a chest tattoo...along with six others, all tasteful text in various ancient languages (a personal hobby) that range from the highly visible (forearms) to otherwise. The tattoos garner a real mix of responses, but generally people are disarmed and love to chat about WHY I have x y or z tattooed on my arm/clavicle/etc....professionally speaking I've actually found my tattoos to be a positive effector: curiousity is a great stimulus. Which doesn't exactly pertain to hair color...but I think confidence is key.

Anyone have any opinions on tattoos?

As long as you can cover them up, you are fine. Some docs somewhere along the line may find it unprofessional, notwithstanding the responses you get, so to be safe you might consider long sleeves. As mentioned earlier, the patient base in the US is getting dramatically older as the aging baby boomers hit senior citizen status, and so the positive views of the current generation toward tattoos are not going to be relevant -- outside of peds/OB, your patients will be old, uninked conservatives. Try to work in VAs as much as possible, as all those older military dudes have lots of tattoos.

Ahh, how are they going to know if you have your tongue pierced? ;)

Unfortunately, they see it when you talk :( Mine's not a particularly showy tongue piercing (just a black stud), but I've had enough docs ask me to take it out that I don't even try to wear it to the clinic anymore. (Note that it's the docs with the problem... never had an issue with a patient.)

Unfortunately, they see it when you talk :( Mine's not a particularly showy tongue piercing (just a black stud), but I've had enough docs ask me to take it out that I don't even try to wear it to the clinic anymore. (Note that it's the docs with the problem... never had an issue with a patient.)

Really? Thanks for the info -- I guess I never notice when other people have tongue piercings unless they're sticking out their tongue and showing everyone, so I thought most people wouldn't notice. There goes the idea about getting my nose re-pierced. Well, maybe I could do it in the summer, which will give it enough time to heal so I can take it out for a few hours at time during clinical stuff for 2nd year.

As long as you can cover them up, you are fine. Some docs somewhere along the line may find it unprofessional, notwithstanding the responses you get, so to be safe you might consider long sleeves. As mentioned earlier, the patient base in the US is getting dramatically older as the aging baby boomers hit senior citizen status, and so the positive views of the current generation toward tattoos are not going to be relevant -- outside of peds/OB, your patients will be old, uninked conservatives. Try to work in VAs as much as possible, as all those older military dudes have lots of tattoos.

I don't know if I buy that entirely. One, the aging baby boomers are going to be a more liberal elderly population than what we have right now. Hating tattoos and body piercings isn't a function of age, it's a function of your culture. Two, having upright kids who have a piercing or tattoo would probably change how they feel about providers with those attributes. For example, my parents hate tattoos and hated my nose piercing, but if they see a youngish person with a tattoo or a weird piercing, they don't automatically think that person's a reprobate. They think it's just a weird thing that younger people do and probably wouldn't have any problem with a physician with a piercing or tattoo.

Really? Thanks for the info -- I guess I never notice when other people have tongue piercings unless they're sticking out their tongue and showing everyone, so I thought most people wouldn't notice. There goes the idea about getting my nose re-pierced. Well, maybe I could do it in the summer, which will give it enough time to heal so I can take it out for a few hours at time during clinical stuff for 2nd year.

If you're going to do it, the summer is definitely the time. I'd do it early though, when I pierced my nose it took MONTHS to heal.... (so long that I actually ended up having to take it out permanently because the hospital I was working for grew really impatient with waiting on it and basically told me it was the piercing or my job).

EDIT: I forgot though, we didn't do anything clinical first semester of 2nd year, so it's actually not that pressing unless they change things for you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on how you pull it off. At my school, interviewees are docked for lack of professionalism. If you're hair color/piercings/tattoos look unprofessional, it will count against you.

For example, my parents hate tattoos and hated my nose piercing, but if they see a youngish person with a tattoo or a weird piercing, they don't automatically think that person's a reprobate. They think it's just a weird thing that younger people do and probably wouldn't have any problem with a physician with a piercing or tattoo.

That depends on their perception of their kids. The vast majority of kids in this country do not become members of the medical profession, so parents of tattooed kids might not want a doctor who does all the same weird thing their kids do.

There's also a noticeable loss of enunciation in many tongue-pierced individuals. The person with the piercing doesn't always seem to notice, but others often do.

Thanks guys. I usually do my best to come off professionally. Generally people don't mind, maybe those incidents were just with really pricky people..

Well, voila, the most recent picture. There's brown on the bottom, but it's all blonde now. Not too bad, right? :)

hairlol.jpg

Are you related to Dennis Rodman?

You say that like it means something, as if you're trying to say, "whatever, the crotchety old men attendings are too up-tight, but my tongue rod doesn't hurt how my patients perceive me at all".

Just because they don't complain doesn't mean they have no preference. Most patients don't want trouble and wouldn't complain if their doctor was wearing a dog collar.

There's also a noticeable loss of enunciation in many tongue-pierced individuals. The person with the piercing doesn't always seem to notice, but others often do.

Ha! The thing that bugs me is when they slurp with it! I finally had to point out to a friend that she fiddled with her tongue jewelry - she hadn't noticed and made a lot of spit noise while doing it!

You know, you'd think in this bastion of East Coast conservativism, things like nose piercings and the like would be a problem. Not so far that I've seen - I can think of at least two girls in the school currently with nose piercings (small and tasteful, of course) and at least 4 people in my class alone with tattoos (granted, they're on 1) back 2) scapula 3) hip and 4) ass respectively) and another one that's seriously considering (upper inner brachium). I've had red and obviously faux dark brown hair at various points this year and while neither of which were totally out of the realm of possibility, they weren't exactly natural looking either. Also one girl has really really short hair (like, she basically plops gel in her palm and rubs it around all spiky-like to get ready in the morning - looks hot, too). I'm vaguely considering getting one of my favorite piercings re-done (daith, left ear) but am wondering if the time has passed. . . also vaguely considering going back to blonde, but it's been a good 5 years since I was last that light and I'm scurred. :)

To the OP: from what I can tell I think all-blonde is/would be pretty and it would certainly depend on the school as to whether it would be an issue. UCSD? Probably not a problem. Georgetown? Maybe a little moreso. I personally removed 13 piercings from my ears a month before interviews began. They weren't huge or anything, they were just in odd parts of the ears (rook, daith, snug, antihelix, conch - each a different part of the folds on the inside if you're unfamiliar with the lingo ;) ) and there were a number of them. In an ideal world it wouldn't be an issue but hell, this isn't an ideal world by any stretch of the imagination. As much as it sucks, there is some validity to the question that some others have said - why make it more difficult than it has to be?

I personally removed 13 piercings from my ears a month before interviews began. They weren't huge or anything, they were just in odd parts of the ears (rook, daith, snug, antihelix, conch - each a different part of the folds on the inside if you're unfamiliar with the lingo ;) ) and there were a number of them. In an ideal world it wouldn't be an issue but hell, this isn't an ideal world by any stretch of the imagination. As much as it sucks, there is some validity to the question that some others have said - why make it more difficult than it has to be?

Now, I only have 3 holes in each ear (and thinking about getting another), but should I take mine out as well?

mrg, idk. can you take them out JUST for the interview or will they close up? Mine weren't the leave-out-for-a-day-able variety, so it was all or nothing. if you've got, like, 2 lobes and a cartilage piercing in each or something you might be able to just leave in 1 pair and I'm sure they won't bother asking about the not-healed holes.

People will always judge based on looks, but compensating by knowing what you are doing will even the playing field.

The class under ours are practically a load of abercrombie models, but they are also fiercely competitive.

seriously people, stop bringing up 4 year old threads. This is getting ridiculous.

seriously people, stop bringing up 4 year old threads. This is getting ridiculous.

The person who did apparently was banned and had his/her post removed (it was the one prior to my ":thumbdown:"). I wouldn't resurrect a 4 year old thread, much less with something as uninspired as ":thumbdown:" ;)