Hair today, gone tomorrow?

Started by MtnGntx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MtnGntx

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking for a few honest opinions. My sister refers to me as the "long-haired happy freak." Enough said? Approaching 40, finishing up a PhD in the Health Sciences, strong post-bac and graduate GPA, published in peer reviewed clinical cardiovascular journal, and carrying a prestigious pre-doctoral grant, plenty of clinical shadowing, trained on cadavers and frequenter of invasive cardiothoracic procedures...MCAT as yet unknown.

Reaction formation from a military preparatory school followed by an onerous white-collar management position? Ex-competitive soccer player? General disquiet over all things rigidly conservative? Aversion to sharp scissors, Or, as my sister suggests, hippy lost in time? Regardless, what are your opinions with respect to well groomed non-traditional (male) applicants with long hair supplicating to medical school admissions committees? Risky or risque? Anybody out there with experience interviewing have well-founded commentary?😎
 
Looking for a few honest opinions. My sister refers to me as the "long-haired happy freak." Enough said? Approaching 40, finishing up a PhD in the Health Sciences, strong post-bac and graduate GPA, published in peer reviewed clinical cardiovascular journal, and carrying a prestigious pre-doctoral grant, plenty of clinical shadowing, trained on cadavers and frequenter of invasive cardiothoracic procedures...MCAT as yet unknown.

Reaction formation from a military preparatory school followed by an onerous white-collar management position? Ex-competitive soccer player? General disquiet over all things rigidly conservative? Aversion to sharp scissors, Or, as my sister suggests, hippy lost in time? Regardless, what are your opinions with respect to well groomed non-traditional (male) applicants with long hair supplicating to medical school admissions committees? Risky or risque? Anybody out there with experience interviewing have well-founded commentary?😎


Few 40 year olds, other than Fabio, have pulled off the longhaired look and looked "cool". Rock stars and DJs can get away with long hair after 40, but no one else is going to generate positive words. Cut it off. Welcome to the 21st century.
 
I think long haired men can look quite professional. I'm assuming yours is long enough to keep contained in a braid or ponytail. Also, a bun or folded up "club" style worn at the nape of the neck can look great on a guy and it looks the same regardless of whether your hair is mid-back or floorlength.

You might enjoy this site. And also this one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with Law2doc. Cut it off. I haven't seen it, but it doesn't generate a good vibe for me. I like clean cut professional looking men. Long hair doesn't seem too professional in my opinion and I best many others see the same. Now if you were 22, then maybe.
 
Fabio has NEVER looked cool! That's reason enough to not have long hair for me.

I was being sarcastic.(I guess my sense of humor doesn't translate to the net) Long hair doesn't work once you reach middle age. You will see folks trying to pull off the pony tail look into later years, and it's simply sad.

But even if you like that look, it doesn't play well in a basically conservative profession.
 
Hmm...how long is "long"? Is it thick and luxurious or are you trying to compensate for thinning on the top? Maybe split the difference and cut it to a short ponytail length. I have some classmates (granted--they're in their 20s) who have ponytail-length hair. In the grand scheme of things, it's probably not going to be a deal breaker as long as you don't sound like a stoner during your interview. 🙂
 
not to hijack the thread entirely - but since we're already on the topic of grooming - what about beards? what do you guys think - rather, do you think the adcom/interviewers will care?
 
I gotta go with Dianyla here- if it's cared for and pulled back, I don't see a problem with it. But then, I'm biased. I'm also not on an adcom.

Now, if you tell us it's all blue liberty spikes, you might want to tone it down a bit, but I don't see why if it's neatly braided or whatever it should be a problem. Confined long hair looks just as professional (if not more-so) than most current male styles. Heck, you spend the first two years in a classroom anyway.
 
How come scientists can get away with crazy hair. In some science cliques like the particle physicists, or the theoretical mathematicians, its almost like....you just don't have any game if your hair isn't marvelously unkempt and you don't have a flagrant distaste for fashion.
 
not to hijack the thread entirely - but since we're already on the topic of grooming - what about beards? what do you guys think - rather, do you think the adcom/interviewers will care?
Neatly trimmed kept up, short beards are ok. Long as it isn't long and straggly or looks like critters can live in there, you should be alright. That's my two cents.
 
I'd cut it.
You're basically representing a medical school and then a residency program when you enter. It's the same with dress codes in the corporate world. Generally, they wish to convey a message of professionalism which, in their opinions, should be a person who is clean cut (which, no matter how pretty your hair is, long isn't "clean cut" in this sense).
So, depending upon how badly you want this...is it worth cutting your hair, which *will* grow back. Or, is the length of your hair more important?

Once you're out of residency, and perhaps have your own practice, wear your hair long and a tie-dye coat for all anyone cares. 😛
 
At my school many of the professors have long hair. Mad scientist type hair and a few have burly beards. We have one M1 who has very long hair, it is obvious that he interviewed with long hair and was admitted. I had long hair myself but I cut it short before my interviews fearing judgement by adcom. I think it s better to be safe than sorry and you can grow it out later. I know a handful of M3 and M4 males who now have shoulder length hair and seem to be doing alright. They keep it well groomed and in a pony tail. I know that one of the most respected oncologists at John Hopkins has a long pony tail and rides a Harley and no one can get into to see him because he is booked a year in advance, but I imagine when he was interviewing for medical school he cut it short to be on the safe side.
 
Neatly trimmed kept up, short beards are ok. Long as it isn't long and straggly or looks like critters can live in there, you should be alright. That's my two cents.

The one exception to the "long and straggly" rule would be for religious reasons. I have a couple of Muslim classmates who have very long beards. In fact, one of them has what can only be described as a "mane".

As for short beards--no problem at all. My ex-boyfriend, now in med school too, had such a beard and it was a complete non-issue.

Hope this helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that one of the most respected oncologists at John Hopkins has a long pony tail and rides a Harley and no one can get into to see him because he is booked a year in advance, but I imagine when he was interviewing for medical school he cut it short to be on the safe side.

Yes -you absolutely cannot compare yourself to a well respected physician at a major institution. Most likely the administration would have him change his ways in a second if he were a nobody (like premeds and med students are). He probably was clean cut back in the day and had to earn his right to various liberties. As does the OP.
 
Looking for a few honest opinions. My sister refers to me as the "long-haired happy freak." Enough said? Approaching 40, finishing up a PhD in the Health Sciences, strong post-bac and graduate GPA, published in peer reviewed clinical cardiovascular journal, and carrying a prestigious pre-doctoral grant, plenty of clinical shadowing, trained on cadavers and frequenter of invasive cardiothoracic procedures...MCAT as yet unknown.

Reaction formation from a military preparatory school followed by an onerous white-collar management position? Ex-competitive soccer player? General disquiet over all things rigidly conservative? Aversion to sharp scissors, Or, as my sister suggests, hippy lost in time? Regardless, what are your opinions with respect to well groomed non-traditional (male) applicants with long hair supplicating to medical school admissions committees? Risky or risque? Anybody out there with experience interviewing have well-founded commentary?😎

If you can go to your interviews with your hair looking neat and professional, then don't cut it. There are plenty of folks with Y chromosomes that can pull hair back so that it is neat (maybe skirting the edges of professional) but neat is the operative word here. If you have been invited for an interview, your application has made you competitive enough to be considered for entry into the class. Believe me, it won't be your hair, dirty and straggly that will keep you out. Even then, you would have to be pretty obnoxious. (Keep in mind, that I have interviewed a couple of males who had frank body odor; dirty clothing and I couldn't recommend them for admission. There were other problems too but the poor grooming didn't help their cause).

The oldest person in my class (entered at age 53) had a longish beard and long blond hair. He was definitely a well-aged "hippy" but his hair was always clean, neatly pulled back into a ponytail and his beard was well-groomed (nothing scraggly here). He even wore the "John Lennon-type" wire-rimmed glasses.

Again, I don't think that your medical school interview is the time to try out anything radical that makes you uncomfortable. If long hair is your look, then wear it proudly but neatly. 👍
 
I agree that long hair is fine for guys as long as it's well taken care of and neat. The problem is that a lot of guys DON'T take good care of their hair, and then it reflects negatively on all of you. I would suggest having your hair professionally trimmed about a week before your interview (don't do it right before the interview in case you need to have an emergency re-cut!), and wearing it back in a pony tail or another neat style for the interview itself. Also, make sure to dress conservatively (i.e., in a suit and tie) and appropriately, cover up any tattoos if you have them, and take out any jewelry. The advice to bathe, wash your hair, and wear deodorant goes without saying. Best of :luck: to you! 🙂
 
Just wanted to let everyone who responded that I appreciate the comments. Regardless of whether I agree with all of them, they have given me some different perspectives to consider, and that is always a good thing. And those websites really cracked me up.

I would like to remind all of you to try not to stereotype or discriminate based on appearances. Presumably, we all face the "non-traditional" label already and that in itself should be sufficient reminder.

For those who speculated... I dont have tatoos, earings, body-piercings. Hair is full, well-kept, and shoulder length. I regularly attend a University clinic and am very mindful of my appearance and dress because I recognize the perceptions that are before me. I even agree that there is a certain long-haired segment of men that shouldn't be. However, I am vain enough to think that I am in the category of those capable of pulling it off tastefully.🙂

You all have enriched the 'decision-making' process. Thanks again.
 
Just wanted to let everyone who responded that I appreciate the comments. Regardless of whether I agree with all of them, they have given me some different perspectives to consider, and that is always a good thing. And those websites really cracked me up.

I would like to remind all of you to try not to stereotype or discriminate based on appearances. Presumably, we all face the "non-traditional" label already and that in itself should be sufficient reminder.

For those who speculated... I dont have tatoos, earings, body-piercings. Hair is full, well-kept, and shoulder length. I regularly attend a University clinic and am very mindful of my appearance and dress because I recognize the perceptions that are before me. I even agree that there is a certain long-haired segment of men that shouldn't be. However, I am vain enough to think that I am in the category of those capable of pulling it off tastefully.🙂

You all have enriched the 'decision-making' process. Thanks again.
Post a pic and let the SDN non-trad ladies be the judge. 😉 In all seriousness, it sounds like you'll be fine based on what you said. Good luck. 🙂
 
Post a pic and let the SDN non-trad ladies be the judge. 😉 In all seriousness, it sounds like you'll be fine based on what you said. Good luck. 🙂
Seconded. 😉

My (late) two cents. If you get a rejection, you will never know if it was the hair or something else. If you are the sort of person who can live with that, keep the hair. If you are the sort of person who would be kicking yourself five years down the road wondering, "What if I had just cut it?" then you probably should just cut it.

Good luck!!
 
Looking for a few honest opinions. My sister refers to me as the "long-haired happy freak." Enough said? Approaching 40, finishing up a PhD in the Health Sciences, strong post-bac and graduate GPA, published in peer reviewed clinical cardiovascular journal, and carrying a prestigious pre-doctoral grant, plenty of clinical shadowing, trained on cadavers and frequenter of invasive cardiothoracic procedures...MCAT as yet unknown.

Reaction formation from a military preparatory school followed by an onerous white-collar management position? Ex-competitive soccer player? General disquiet over all things rigidly conservative? Aversion to sharp scissors, Or, as my sister suggests, hippy lost in time? Regardless, what are your opinions with respect to well groomed non-traditional (male) applicants with long hair supplicating to medical school admissions committees? Risky or risque? Anybody out there with experience interviewing have well-founded commentary?😎
This sounds just like a personal ad from the Westword, or like a horoscope by Rob Brezny.

There's only one guy I knew who could pull off the 'older guy with long hair' look without any problems. He had a Nobel prize and revolutionzied the field of physics and quantum mechanics. In short, get it short.
 
There's a NOVA special on Google Video about an older guy switching careers from something like motorcycle mechanic to doctor. It's called

NOVA: Survivor MD: Tattooed Doctor
[http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2556567782208160065&q=nova+doctor&hl=en]

Highly recomended, but he cuts the hair...I hear for you dude, I've got some long hair too...but I've got some time before the intereviews. Hair grows back, even when your older.
 
Hair grows back.

Interview time is not the place to be trendy, cutesy, or to "make a statement". If the advice to women is to be conservative with their hair and dress, I'm throwing the same thing back at the men. I agree with Law2Doc that at a certain age, it's time to be completely professional and grow up.

But, if one must keep the long hair, I totally agree with njbmd to keep it neat and clean. It's annoying to see women and men with long hair do the hair-flip or constantly brush it out of their faces.
 
Heh,

Along these same lines, Organic chemistry is making me grey at a pace not to my liking. I'm thinking about having it "taken care of". It's just a few sprinkles at the temples and a small "skunk patch", but it's starting to bug me.

Any comments?

Oldie
 
How come scientists can get away with crazy hair. In some science cliques like the particle physicists, or the theoretical mathematicians, its almost like....you just don't have any game if your hair isn't marvelously unkempt and you don't have a flagrant distaste for fashion.

aren't u kinda stereotyping scientists? they're not all crazy "mad" looking....
 
i feel like it's better safe than sorry, better to play the game than to be turned down because of your hair. Regardless of anyone's position and their willingness to admit it, EVERYONE is somewhat superficial.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dude, cut it off. I know right now it seems like it's a huge deal, and you'll even miss it for a while after you cut it, but in the end you'll realize your self-worth or even self-image isn't really contained in your hair. Or...I hope so anyway.

Hell, I cut my hair just to land a job after college.

Oh and washing and drying your hair will become super easy again. If you've had long hair for a while you've probably forgotten this benefit.

The downside is that your head will actually be colder lol. Sounds stupid but seriously, I could feel it. So buy a hat or something if it's cold where you live.

I'm even trying to lose some weight before interviews start. That's not the real reason I'm doing it (mostly for my own health) or I'd probably never actually succeed, but it's one of the myriad of reasons. For one thing just being fat kinda makes you an automatic hypocrite of sorts as far as health goes. Kind of like being a smoker (speaking of which, I met a smoker who was applying for med school this year the other day, and decided that the fact that he kinda reeked of cigarettes would probably not help in interviews).

So...cut your hair to something clean and neat, dress up in nice formal clothing, make your breath smell nice and don't smoke. Then one day when you're an established doctor who's so good that nobody can help but come to you you can feel free to grow your hair back out as long as you want 😉
 
I had long hair for 12 years, and kept it during my interviews to med school. Not a deterrent. I cut it off between 1st and 2nd year.

On one hand you'll stand out, and like it or not it does lead to connotations everyone will assume (the hippie, as you say). On the other hand that's not necessarily a bad thing at the right school. At Ivy's/Top 10 I'd be a little more careful.
 
depends paramoron- is it going to be pasty pale and glow in the dark?

Don't do anything you won't be comfortable with. If you're self-concious about your hair, you won't be as focused on the interview as you need to be.