Half Life Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Queen Beach

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Sdn,

I want to start out by saying that I appreciate all the science help and you guys are the best!

Ok, so here are my questions....

Chromium-48 has a short half-life of 21.6h. How long will it take 360 g of chromium-48 to decay into 11.25?
I get how they got the answer, but according to the explanation "1/32 of the original quantity has remained..." How do you get 1/32?

the other question:
Iodine-131 has a half life of 8 days. What fraction of the original sample would remain at the end of 32 days?
I have no clue how they got 4 half-lives because I get 3?

Edit: so for the 2nd ? Do you just go 32/8 then that's how you get 4?
I was doing it like it
32
16
8 that's why I thought 3 half-lives?
 
Last edited:
Half life = time it takes for the 50% of the mass of the isotope to decay.

Time it takes to decay = half life * number of half lives the isotope went through

started with 325g of cr-48. Decayed into 11.25g.

1) How many half lives did cr-48 go through?
first, do final mass/original mass to find the fraction of mass remaining
11.25/325 ~ 1/32 (remember, in GC you have no calculator so round!)

second, figure out how many half lives would be needed to get to 1/32 of the original mass.
1/ (2^x) = fraction of mass remaining, where x = # of half lives
1/ (2^x) = 1/32, x = 5

5 half lives * 21.6h (half life) = your answer


second problem:
half life = 8 days (meaning, every 8 days, the mass will decrease by 50%)
32 days has passed
32/8 = 4 half lives have passed (day 8, day 16, day 24, day 32)

1/2^4 = 1/16th the original mass should remain