Half Time Nocturnist Gig

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFNI_User

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering a part time .5 FTE nocturnist gig in a saturated area along the east coast. Trying to figure out if this is reasonable or maybe too underpaid position. Its 6-7 shifts /month required (2 of those have to be on the weekend). On with another physician and either take an "admission shift" or "cross cover shift" but there is some overlap between both when things get busy. Cross cover is approximately 100 patients overnight. Not a Trauma or cardiac center, and average admissions numbers range between 2-6 /night. Responsible for running codes/RRTs. Closed ICU with separate APP covering it. Surgery in house 24/7 and any procedures are totally optional. Its 7p-7am.

Any additional shifts above the 6-7 required is at a moonlighter rate that is a little more.

Salary is 140K + bonuses for productivity, discretionary funding, and quality metrics max out at 25K. Full benefits (medical, dental, vision) and retirement 401K matching and education stipend of 3K.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm considering a part time .5 FTE nocturnist gig in a saturated area along the east coast. Trying to figure out if this is reasonable or maybe too underpaid position. Its 6-7 shifts /month required (2 of those have to be on the weekend). On with another physician and either take an "admission shift" or "cross cover shift" but there is some overlap between both when things get busy. Cross cover is approximately 100 patients overnight. Not a Trauma or cardiac center, and average admissions numbers range between 2-6 /night. Responsible for running codes/RRTs. Closed ICU with separate APP covering it. Surgery in house 24/7 and any procedures are totally optional. Its 7p-7am.

Any additional shifts above the 6-7 required is at a moonlighter rate that is a little more.

Salary is 140K + bonuses for productivity, discretionary funding, and quality metrics max out at 25K. Full benefits (medical, dental, vision) and retirement 401K matching and education stipend of 3K.

Don’t know the market for Hospitalist right now.

7 shifts/month * 12 hours * 12 months = 1008 hrs

So 140K/1008hrs = $138/hr

Is that good? Is that bad? I think I made $125/hr 1099 about 10 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should ask for 160k+ the other metrics. If you make another 20-25k with the other metrics, you probably will be in line with where the market is right now.

I am in the east coast but not in a saturated area and nocturnist at my shop make 405k (7 on/off, 7pm-7am) for an average of 8-9 admits per night.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if it’s truly 2-6 admits a night and some of those nights you’re just covering the floor that’s not bad for 140k + productivity and all the benefits but see if they can get you up to 160k with the same productivity and benefits. I would think it’s worth it but only if the low admission count is true.

Hello,

Pay seems low for night shift, but volume seems a bit on the low side too if those numbers are accurate. If the location is truly saturated it may be possible that it's competitive. However, nocturnists in general are harder to recruit so you may have some negotiating room.