Hampton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had my interview in early april and still have not heard anything back from this school. Does anyone know if the class is full by now. Everytime I call the admissions office they just say "we are still working on letters", I am so sick of waiting.

I'm sorry to hear that. I waited until the first of June and went through hell with them regarding my letter too. Included with my letter was the form of Acknowledgement of Attendance which needed to be signed and returned before June 15. If you call them again, mention this fact because this date has been long gone, what is taking them so long?

Wishing you lots of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Does Hampton consider all of your classes or just the pre-requisites?

what is the PCAT score range Hampton U consider a competitive applicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
im thinking about applying to hampton but i swear this school is a mystery! nobody knows anything about it and i cant get any info. about the school!

im thinking about applying to hampton but i swear this school is a mystery! nobody knows anything about it and i cant get any info. about the school!

i concur. i have lots of questions but i thought i just start off with one first. lol!

Info about the school and some kind of society there.

http://www.ashp.org/s_ashp/docs/files/HamptonUniv.pdf

website giving information and answering questions about it
http://forum.studentpharmacist.com/index.php?topic=560.0

and of course the main website:
http://www.hamptonu.edu/academics/schools/pharmacy/index.htm

Member Spotlight​
Hampton University School of Pharmacy Hampton, Virginia​
Number of Pharmacy Students​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
There are 239 students.​
For more information [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]and how to get involved, Julie Hughes at [email protected] or Rabiya Laiq at [email protected].​

I applied there. I too sent my application in at the last minute.

I just got a call from HU for an interview. Is anyone else interviewing on March 31st.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten anything yet. What are your stats?

i applied here at the very very last minute. i submitted my app. at 11:58 pm eastern time march 3rd.

how many interviews are they doing, anyone know?

I thought the deadline was March 1 (which was a saturday so you probably should have had everything in by friday afternoon)....I applied and got a call for an interview. I don't know how many they are interviewing.

So they call for the interview invitation? What if they can't reach you by phone? Will they leave messages? Or they just forget you and move on to the next candidate?

I just received a call from Hampton today about an interview. Luckily I was at home. I gave the lady my cell phone number. The best thing to do is call the school and give them an alternate number where you can be reached. Plus I'm sure they can always leave you a message.

For those who received the phone call, do you know who she is? I think it's Ms. James. I couldn't catch her name. Can anybody verify this? Thanks

Has anyone heard any news from Hampton?

Hi everyone,

How are you all doing? I hope you are all doing great. I know getting accepted into pharmacy school is very frustrating, but a word of caution, make sure you do a lot of research on a pharmacy school that you are planning to attend.

I am a student of HUSOP and I'm not liking it at all. A couple of my classmates have thought of transferring out of HUSOP and I am not an exception. The school has been on probation for the last 3 years and no one knows about it. They keep everything very internally, they don't tell anyone about the school's accreditation status. As of right now, they are trying to re-obtain the accreditation and it only applies to the class of 2008. In other words, the accreditation is nowhere to be confirmed for the classes of 2009, 2010, etc. So be careful!!! You can't take the board if you are graduating from a non-accredited institution.

I have read threads on this post and I'm not surprised to hear that you called and got 2 different answers from 2 different people. The administrators don't really know what is going on because all they do during office hours are surfing on the internet, chit-chatting on the phone, talking about their hair and nails.

So how is life in classroom? Not so good!! Please do not be mistaken. I am not talking down or bashing down on a school, I'm just trying to let you all know what you need to know about the school. Remember, you are paying $30K per year, so if you do the math, it is $120K!! It's a lot of money and you want to, at least, be able to pay back the loan once you are done with school. The school itself is very poorly-established. The laboratory is unequipped and the majority of chemical ingredients that we use are beyond expired. We're in the year of 2008 and guess what, most of the stuffs have expired in 2006. The labs are very elementary. Mix this mix that, done!!

In terms of tests and exams, it's ... !! OK, HUSOP made me feel that anyone can be a pharmacist. They utilize a lot of old tests from previous years. Meaning, professors copy and paste their prior years' tests. Students "study" by memorizing the old tests' answers and of course everyone does GREAT on every test. And when asking them about the topic that has already been tested, no one knows the answers even though they aced every time.

So what's about failing rate?!! Unbelievably HIGH!!! This is the stats from other graduates. We started out with 70 students on the first semester of P1 year, ended up with 60 on the second semester of P1 year, and ended up with about 40 students by P4 year. Can you do the math?!! The failing rate is about 45%.

Now the question is WHY such a high failing rate?! First, most of the pharmacy students at HUSOP do not have a BS degree so they don't have prior knowledge about biology or science-related. Can you imagine sitting in a PharmD class, and your classmates (aka PharmD candidates) don't know what PCR, electrophoresis, Gram Stain, ELISA, and other common science-related tests are. That's pathetic!! Second, the professors at HUSOP go at such a slow pace as if you are still in high school, trying to understand what Geometry is all about. Third, most of the professors at HUSOP are pretty inexperienced. They are mostly fresh graduates from other pharmacy schools thus no residency, no strong experience about pharmacy either. Fourth, HUSOP is not paying professors that well therefore, often times, each professor teaches more than 2 classes at a time. This is a problem. They don't have time to prepare detail lectures on a topic thus the class lecture is very general. Also, they are assigned to teach classes that they are not specialized in so no detail knowledge about it either.

There are a lot more to say about HUSOP and I am going to stop right here because I think it is enough for you to PLEASE RE-CONSIDER and DO MORE RESEARCH BEFORE ATTENDING HUSOP!!!

Sincerely,

Hi there,

At first, I didn't want to post that thread because I was afraid that some students might get offended but then I felt that it was necessary for you all to know about it before wasting your $$$. But luckily, you guys are very understanding and accepting. I'm not saying HUSOP is a bad school, it might get better in a couple of years but as of right now, NO!!!

So how to keep up with a school's accreditation? Normally, the school should keep the students up-to-date about their school's accreditation, but not at HUSOP. So it's best to call ACPE if you want to find our more about a school's accreditation.

And yes, some of the professors at HUSOP are fresh grads. The faculty profiles that you see on that link are not applicable at this time because a number of professors are leaving after May 2008. So the list of faculty will get even shorter.

Good luck to all of you.

Thanks for the info, RX1984! :thumbup:

It sucks because I had already submitted the necessary requirements for their pre-pharmacy program yesterday! :( I thought about going to VCU but it's a 2-hour drive from where I live (Hampton University is only a 45 min. drive) and I don't want to move.

Has any school -EVER- lost its accreditation status?!? I should probably drop by there next week and talk to some students. Just when I thought I had everything planned... :/

EDIT: How do I keep track of HU's accreditation status? Talk to students? Or is there a website where I can monitor whether or not they'll keep their status (like the AACP, for example)?

EDIT2: Found this.

Hi everyone,

How are you all doing? I hope you are all doing great. I know getting accepted into pharmacy school is very frustrating, but a word of caution, make sure you do a lot of research on a pharmacy school that you are planning to attend.

I am a student of HUSOP and I'm not liking it at all. A couple of my classmates have thought of transferring out of HUSOP and I am not an exception. The school has been on probation for the last 3 years and no one knows about it. They keep everything very internally, they don't tell anyone about the school's accreditation status. As of right now, they are trying to re-obtain the accreditation and it only applies to the class of 2008. In other words, the accreditation is nowhere to be confirmed for the classes of 2009, 2010, etc. So be careful!!! You can't take the board if you are graduating from a non-accredited institution.

I have read threads on this post and I'm not surprised to hear that you called and got 2 different answers from 2 different people. The administrators don't really know what is going on because all they do during office hours are surfing on the internet, chit-chatting on the phone, talking about their hair and nails.

So how is life in classroom? Not so good!! Please do not be mistaken. I am not talking down or bashing down on a school, I'm just trying to let you all know what you need to know about the school. Remember, you are paying $30K per year, so if you do the math, it is $120K!! It's a lot of money and you want to, at least, be able to pay back the loan once you are done with school. The school itself is very poorly-established. The laboratory is unequipped and the majority of chemical ingredients that we use are beyond expired. We're in the year of 2008 and guess what, most of the stuffs have expired in 2006. The labs are very elementary. Mix this mix that, done!!

In terms of tests and exams, it's ... !! OK, HUSOP made me feel that anyone can be a pharmacist. They utilize a lot of old tests from previous years. Meaning, professors copy and paste their prior years' tests. Students "study" by memorizing the old tests' answers and of course everyone does GREAT on every test. And when asking them about the topic that has already been tested, no one knows the answers even though they aced every time.

So what's about failing rate?!! Unbelievably HIGH!!! This is the stats from other graduates. We started out with 70 students on the first semester of P1 year, ended up with 60 on the second semester of P1 year, and ended up with about 40 students by P4 year. Can you do the math?!! The failing rate is about 45%.

Now the question is WHY such a high failing rate?! First, most of the pharmacy students at HUSOP do not have a BS degree so they don't have prior knowledge about biology or science-related. Can you imagine sitting in a PharmD class, and your classmates (aka PharmD candidates) don't know what PCR, electrophoresis, Gram Stain, ELISA, and other common science-related tests are. That's pathetic!! Second, the professors at HUSOP go at such a slow pace as if you are still in high school, trying to understand what Geometry is all about. Third, most of the professors at HUSOP are pretty inexperienced. They are mostly fresh graduates from other pharmacy schools thus no residency, no strong experience about pharmacy either. Fourth, HUSOP is not paying professors that well therefore, often times, each professor teaches more than 2 classes at a time. This is a problem. They don't have time to prepare detail lectures on a topic thus the class lecture is very general. Also, they are assigned to teach classes that they are not specialized in so no detail knowledge about it either.

There are a lot more to say about HUSOP and I am going to stop right here because I think it is enough for you to PLEASE RE-CONSIDER and DO MORE RESEARCH BEFORE ATTENDING HUSOP!!!

Sincerely,

Thanks for the info!
Doesn't haptom require the prepharmacy courses (before entering the professional years) because you mentioned that most students don't have prior knowledge about biology or science-related material?
Also, have you or any one of your friends applied for transfer into another pharmacy school yet? Have you talked to recent undergrad of hampton - if so, were they competent?
Best of luck to you

Thanks for the info!
Doesn't haptom require the prepharmacy courses (before entering the professional years) because you mentioned that most students don't have prior knowledge about biology or science-related material?
Also, have you or any one of your friends applied for transfer into another pharmacy school yet? Have you talked to recent undergrad of hampton - if so, were they competent?
Best of luck to you

HU, like other schools, does require pre-pharmacy courses but these courses are so elementary that they don't really help much while the students are in the professional PharmD program. Thus this is the reason why most of the students don't have much of prior science-related material. And thus this is also a reason why professors at HUSOP go at such a turtle-pace in order to keep up or I guess keep-down with the students' level. I think it is the best idea that one must obtain a BS first before applying to the PharmD program. You know what I mean, you cant run if you haven't really learned to how to walk yet.

Yes, we applied to other pharmacy school and we both got in and we are really ecstatic about it :D.

Yes, i have also talked to recent HU grads and to be honest with you, most of them don't have any nice things to say about HUSOP. I have also talked to other pharmacists who graduated from other schools and that have worked with HU grads. They also said that they are not really impressed with HU grads!! So in other words, HU grads are not as competent as other pharmacists who graduated from other schools.

I hope this helps. Once again, I'm not bashing on the school. I just feel that you guys need to know this because I've been there and experienced everything. I don't want you guys to waste your $$$ and can't even sit for the board :)

Take care

Has anyone heard from this school yet? Acceptance, Denial, waitlist ....

No. But I called them Monday and they said they were going to start sending out letters that day. If anyone gets a letter can they please post a reply. Thanks!

No letter yet. I called them monday as well and she said they were sending letters out tuesday. Hopefully we will know something in the next few days.

Got my letter today.. Rejected...
Good luck to everyone else.

I received a letter of acceptance on Friday. I am going to decline. Good luck to everyone else.

I reviewed most of your comments and did a little research of my own. I was suprised to see that many top pharmacy schools are awaiting accreditation application for the upcoming year. Most of these schools have to get re-accredited every year. When i first read all this it really did sound like Hampton was the worse but if you do your own research you will note that all pharmacy schools go through similar changes. Also, there are new teachers coming and going but (again research) if you look up other schools faculty info, a lot of them change administration on a yearly basis. Do you thing their students know everything????? It's possible some of the negative may be your own personal feelings but you should have really done your homework before making such negative postings about Hampton's Pharmacy program. Are you guaranteed to finish at another transfering university or will everything be perfect there? NO. I would suggest anyone reading this info to talk to students, faculty, and also faculty in other departments at Hampton. If you have concerns then address them. If comments others make scare you from your goals then you never wanted to be a Pharmacist anyway. By the way, I was accepted into the Pharm-D program and I will be a proud Hampton Grad in four years. Remember, a goal without a plan is just a wish.......... God bless all of you and good luck............

Hi everyone,

Sincerely,

Hmmm well...really sad to hear all that stuff about hampton.....hope it gets better.....
but first....let's set the record straight..... HOWARD is the REAL HUSOP...not Hampton....u guys will have to figure out another abbreviation...lol:D:D

And also...i kinda find it conflicting that everybody aces tests and exams which are all repeated verbatim.....yet the failing rate is so high!!.....care to clarify??