Hand Felloships/Mayo Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ACrazyWrestler

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gidday

Im a final year medical Student from Australia.

i will hopefully be doing Plastics in a couple of years. With a couple of research projects done along the way, I'm hoping to do a fellowship in either Hands or FaxMax, depending upon my interest.

How can an Australian trained Surgeon do a fellowship in The US? I don't want to go through the entire exam system (USMLE), especially if I'm already qualified. Is there a way around it? Research experience? There are fellowship options in Austrlia of course, but id like to complete on in the US or England. From what I understand, the only way to do it is through USMLE, in which case i may as well sit the exam asap at the beginning of my traning and complete it in teh US, which will be much easier. Can somebody give me some advice?

Cheers
 
As far as fellowships go, especially in hand surgery, you should be able to obtain a spot without too much difficulty (once you've finished training in Plastics, Orthopedics, or General Surgery). You will need to take and pass all three portions of the USMLE before you start fellowship. Almost all fellowships require you to have a personal medical license. If you're just taking the USMLE to be licensed, it isn't too hard.
 
I see

So i can get training here, sit the USMLE, and jump straight into a US Fellowship program?

Cheers
 
The US has some reciprocating relationships with other countries (Canada & the UK) about these things. I don't know if that extends to Australia or not. For accredited fellowship (as opposed to residency) training programs, I'm not sure that you have to pass the USMLE prior

The Kleinert Clinic in Louisville,Kentucky usually has 20-25 hand fellows at a time from all over the world. I don't believe most of them had taken the USMLE exams.