Hand written or typed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatdapho

MS-I
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For secondaries, should we them out by hand writing our answers or should we type them? Since we download the secondaries in a word doc format, I guess we can type our answers but I just wanted to know what other people were doing for their secondaries. Off this topic, any USUHS applicants out there? USUHS is my top choice for med school. Thanks for the help. Good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad.

whatdapho said:
For secondaries, should we them out by hand writing our answers or should we type them? Since we download the secondaries in a word doc format, I guess we can type our answers but I just wanted to know what other people were doing for their secondaries. Off this topic, any USUHS applicants out there? USUHS is my top choice for med school. Thanks for the help. Good luck everyone

i typed my secondaries and saved a couple hard copies of them for interviews later.
yobynaes

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the helps guys...sorry for the trivial question but at this point in the game every little bit helps

I typed all of the secondaries that had typable fields and hand-wrote all the ones that did not. My handwriting is legible and I highly doubt the thing that will keep me out of med school is the fact that I did not want to buy a typewriter.

And so far, all of the applications that have had essay prompts where they tell u to put it in the space provided have been typable. So it's not like i've hand written any essays, just my name and address =)

I would type it. Even if you're handwriting is great, its still much easier for the review committees to read a typed application.

What about for secondaries that are .pdf's? I am haveing trouble typing on the lines given, so I assume I am supposed to print the forms and handwrite... or would adcoms (LizzyM?) still rather see that I print a paper with the answers and attach it?

str8flexed said:
What about for secondaries that are .pdf's? I am haveing trouble typing on the lines given, so I assume I am supposed to print the forms and handwrite... or would adcoms (LizzyM?) still rather see that I print a paper with the answers and attach it?

I've never seen anything handwritten. (6 years, thousands of appies) Usually, if the application is such that there isn't a way to enter the information from your keyboard & then print the document, then applicants print their material from a word processing document (or a spreadsheet -- depending) and literally "cut and paste" onto the form (this was more common when people were mailed a paper form rather than these days when much is sent electronically or available online from a secure site.).

If the "boxes" are big enough and you are very clever at setting the margins on your word document you can print directly onto the paper form (always do a test run first, stack it against the form & hold it up to the light to see if it lines up correctly).

LizzyM said:
I've never seen anything handwritten. (6 years, thousands of appies) Usually, if the application is such that there isn't a way to enter the information from your keyboard & then print the document, then applicants print their material from a word processing document (or a spreadsheet -- depending) and literally "cut and paste" onto the form (this was more common when people were mailed a paper form rather than these days when much is sent electronically or available online from a secure site.).

If the "boxes" are big enough and you are very clever at setting the margins on your word document you can print directly onto the paper form (always do a test run first, stack it against the form & hold it up to the light to see if it lines up correctly).

The doctors I work with were telling me about how when they applied everything had to be done by a typewriter. Since we are lucky enough to have computers now, I'm sure it is no different and you shouldn't handwrite anything

For those of you who have gotten the loyola secondary, the green "evaluation inventory form" says to "Please return this form (printed clearly) and your Supplemental to:"

Do you think that I should find a type writer or mess with printing on the hard copy when I only have to enter my name, date, amcas id, ssn and university? What have the rest of you done?

What does "printed clearly" imply??

Thank you!!

leahmaria said:
For those of you who have gotten the loyola secondary, the green "evaluation inventory form" says to "Please return this form (printed clearly) and your Supplemental to:"

Do you think that I should find a type writer or mess with printing on the hard copy when I only have to enter my name, date, amcas id, ssn and university? What have the rest of you done?

What does "printed clearly" imply??

Thank you!!

Leah,

When I get it I am literally going to type up my essays, and then cut them out, and paste them on the original papers. I haven't seen the forms but I bet you could cut and paste your typing into the spaces and then make a photocopy of the whole thing. Voila!

Jackie

jackieMD2007 said:
Leah,

When I get it I am literally going to type up my essays, and then cut them out, and paste them on the original papers. I haven't seen the forms but I bet you could cut and paste your typing into the spaces and then make a photocopy of the whole thing. Voila!

Jackie

Jackie,

There is a link to the secondary online, so you can type them up and then print out the application and send it in. The only think that would have to be typed/printed/handwritten is a few blanks on the form you send with it...I might cut and paste, but I'll have to go buy some pastel green paper :D you know who'll be at office max tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Leah, do you have the link?

BTW it is easy to cut and paste. The other way you can do it (make a few copies of the app first!) is to type whatever you need into a word document (play with the spacing) and then feed the app into your printer. You can print a test page and then hold the page you printed up to the light with the app to see if the letters line up...make sense?

Jackie

for USUHS secondary, did you guys use font size 10 or 12?

jackieMD2007 said:

BTW it is easy to cut and paste. The other way you can do it (make a few copies of the app first!) is to type whatever you need into a word document (play with the spacing) and then feed the app into your printer. You can print a test page and then hold the page you printed up to the light with the app to see if the letters line up...make sense?

Jackie

I think this is what I may end up doing...I'll need to make lots of copies of the app first!!

the link is http://www.meddean.luc.edu/supplementalapplication

You need to enter your name, amcas id, date of birth and due date in order to access the online application...so the only thing you don't have yet is the due date. Mine is August 17th. The online app is just the questions previously listed and boxes for the answers. Plus residency, contact information and who your letters are coming from.

Um, I don't have a due date so I can't access the questions.
Could you PM the questions to me?

:)

You probably only need one-two copies of the application to make sure it prints right. Print the little words on regular paper while you are trying to get it right, and then hold the two up to the light. Sometimes a space bar here or there will make it happen for you.

jackieMD2007 said:

Jackie

lizzy wrote that already

You're right. Mea culpa. I think it helps to know that other applicants are actually going to DO what Lizzy said, but maybe not. And I am sure that Lizzy, I, and others are not the first to have that idea.

Law2Doc said:
A purple crayon is the preferred mode of choice - particularly if pediatrics might be in your future. :D
so does that mean pink glittery gel pen would be preferred for future ob/gyn?

(jk if someone gets offended for me assuming that ob/gyns are usually female)

Type. If you have to, you can open the document in Photoshop or something similar and just add text boxes. Acrobat writer too.

This is expensive software, but if you jot down your answers by hand first, you can take it down to Kinko's or somesuch and pay about $5 and do it on their computer.

I agree.. Acrobat is the way to go to simplify the process. It costs ~$90 for a legit academic version. But it saves a major headache.

whatdapho said:

Try to type all your responses. It looks nicer and easier for people to read.

I am typing everything I can. However some PDF files are not modifiable. For those I am typing the essays and pasting them on. However I am handwriting my name because I really don't think that will make much of a differnce, and I will feel like one of those people who makes ransom notes by cutting out letters from a magazine if I cut and paste my name, adress and AAMC ID. Let's hope this is not a big mistake.

This is why i :love: online secondaries.

DEFINITELY TYPE!!! I know that Florida State University COM asks you to handwrite one essay on their secondary-I don't know the exact reason for this, but perhaps they analyze your handwriting to see what kind of personality you have-though hiring a professional analyst wouldn't be cost-efficient. haha.