Happy Belated Earth Day...Recycling in the Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score

Thought I'd share this insightful video and open things up for discussion on recycling, reusing, and reducing in context of Pharmacies.

We've got a drug disposal unit set up here and nearly all places implement organization of wastes (HIPAA, plastics, strong pak, etc.). Over the years, working in a pharmacy has justified my absolute hatred of excessive packaging and influenced my life towards minimalism and rethinking my consumer habits (stainless steel, alloys, etc. for more long lasting consumer goods, avoiding plastics when/if possible)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Huh I literally just watched that. I guess we have similar YouTube feeds.

I am pretty skeptical that our garbage problem is actually that big of a problem. Surely we can just dump it into the Grand Canyon or something if it gets too bad?

Hmmm....that dumping in a volcano seems like a viable option...I'm sure it contributes negatively to air quality though

The bottom line is that everyone holds accountability for the 3 Rs, with more emphasis on the whole Reuse and Reduce parts of the equation...those corporate fat cats just put on a facade of helping by only focusing on the corporate responsibility of recycling (nothing about reuse or reduce for obvious financial interest)

The main criticism of recycling is the lack of organization, regularity, and confusion from not having any uniform set of rules or standards (I'm looking at you big brother govt....local vs state vs federal..><.). Recycling becoming more mainstream has simply led to more disorganization/chaos and continued justification of excessive consumption. Seems inevitable to have to recycle to some degree though...food product waste, cardboard boxes/packing material, etc. Recycling becomes extremely complex of an issue when one breaks down the logistics and economy of

The message at the very end really speaks to me...omit the word 'recycle' and keep the words 'reuse' and 'reduce'

This message has been sponsored by captain planet (quite shocked there hasn't been like a reboot on this yet?)
1619452317581.png

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah but two problems:

1. Much 'recycling' was basically sold to China and India who would turn around and dump in the ocean. You'll taste it in your sushi eventually but whatever.

2. For the energy input and cost, recycling plastic just isn't environmentally friendly enough.

Solution, try not to buy disposable plastic. For most consumer electronics, just throw them in the trash.

I love 'environmentalists' who overconsume as hypocrites. If you aren't saving money by your choices, you're going about it wrong. There are plenty of easy choices to make that are high yield without a noticeable sacrifice.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmmm....that dumping in a volcano seems like a viable option...I'm sure it contributes negatively to air quality though

The bottom line is that everyone holds accountability for the 3 Rs, with more emphasis on the whole Reuse and Reduce parts of the equation...those corporate fat cats just put on a facade of helping by only focusing on the corporate responsibility of recycling (nothing about reuse or reduce for obvious financial interest)

The main criticism of recycling is the lack of organization, regularity, and confusion from not having any uniform set of rules or standards (I'm looking at you big brother govt....local vs state vs federal..><.). Recycling becoming more mainstream has simply led to more disorganization/chaos and continued justification of excessive consumption. Seems inevitable to have to recycle to some degree though...food product waste, cardboard boxes/packing material, etc. Recycling becomes extremely complex of an issue when one breaks down the logistics and economy of

The message at the very end really speaks to me...omit the word 'recycle' and keep the words 'reuse' and 'reduce'

This message has been sponsored by captain planet (quite shocked there hasn't been like a reboot on this yet?)
View attachment 335644
Volcano dumping was actually tried. It works as well as an unfiltered incinerator with resulting environmental effects around the caldera. India and Mexico tried that. Thank you Dow Chemical, Tata Steel, and Petrobas for proving externality economics. You might as well just use an industrial incinerator.

I'm sure that cartoon can't be made with a straight face now. Duke Nukem representing the Japanese Government is about to dump radioactive water into the Pacific, and it's supposedly safe! Where's Captain Planet to the rescue?

• Haha
Gotta be careful saying that recycling is bad. Will Witt with PragerU already did a video on this - so it'll be called a GOP way to ruin the world and help speed up global warming.

Volcano dumping was actually tried. It works as well as an unfiltered incinerator with resulting environmental effects around the caldera. India and Mexico tried that. Thank you Dow Chemical, Tata Steel, and Petrobas for proving externality economics. You might as well just use an industrial incinerator.

I'm sure that cartoon can't be made with a straight face now. Duke Nukem representing the Japanese Government is about to dump radioactive water into the Pacific, and it's supposedly safe! Where's Captain Planet to the rescue?

• Haha
I always cringe at the amount of waste in hospitals, every pill U/D, every alcohol swab U/D, every pre-soaped sponged U/D, a huge majority of stuff disposable......I don't like it, but I don't think there is a better alternative.