Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Hard decision

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by NDGirl, Apr 17, 2007.

1. NDGirl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I am looking for anyone’s thoughts, opinions, or ideas. Here is my story...

I am engaged to a man in the Air Force. We found out on Feb 8th that he was being transferred to Tampa. As it was so late, I was only able to apply to LECOM Bradenton. I still haven't heard back from them yet. I had also applied to UMN (waitlisted) and NDSU (accepted).

Mike has to leave for Florida on May 1 and I do not yet know if I will be accepted to school there. So my question is...would you stay here (in North Dakota) for four years (without him) knowing that you already got into school. Or, would you go with him not knowing if you would get into school. If I did get in- woohoo. If I didn't get in, I would find a job as a pharm tech for a year, get Florida residency (hopefully) and apply again next year.

My stats (in case anyone wants to know)
    3.93 GPA
    98% PCAT
    BS in biology and chemistry
    Pharm Volunteer experience
    Leadership/extracurricular
    Undergrad Chem TA

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    With those stats, you could get into any Florida school easily any year. So, it's just a matter of whether or not you want to handle a long distance relationship.

I don't know anything about Air Force assignments, but I wonder if he could be transferred somewhere else even if you do get into a Florida school.

4. GoldenPharmD

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    WOW! Good stats. I don't think you will have any problem of getting in at a Flordia school next year or this year for that matter. You could wait out your chances and wait for the flordia school. I say if your a religious person PRAY. Talk to family, friends and especially the older more experienced persons in your life. Even talk to professors too, they can provide excellent advice. Many of them have gone through similar experiences.

5. nerv12345

nerv12345 ...
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    you should definitely apply to florida next year...you'll definitely get in, like the above posters have said.

besides, even if there's a slight chance that you won't get into florida next year, you'll still get into the other schools you'll have applied to (assuming you'll have applied to back up schools)

6. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Of course it depends on what he's getting into. My bro went to tech school for missle maintenance and then got stationed in WY for 3 years. If you go to FL, what's to say Uncle Sam doesn't ship him somewhere else 1 year later

Point is consider carefully based on his situation the likelihood that he'll be staying put for four years and make your determination based on that. You leaving him in Florida while you're somewhere else will be just as fun as him being stationed somewhere else and you being left in FL without any options.

7. fmbzp5

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I agree that 1 he can be sent off to another location at any time, that and second is the school near the air force base or will you be on a totally different part of the state? Given that ends up being a long drive instead of a flight but it would still be a distance issue.

8. pharmgrl14

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I would take the acceptance. I have friends in the air force and they are always moving around. So going to school in florida would just get you stuck when he leaves. If you attend school this year, you will be a year ahead and closer to being able to move where ever you want.

9. guestxyz

guestxyz But my lips hurt real bad
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hi NDGirl,

Like the others stated, I don't think you'd have any problem getting into a FL school with your stats. If you're looking at UF, you should ensure you will be able to get residency status by the time you apply (not when you matriculate). As a former military spouse, I believe you can gain residency status if you are married to a military member who is assigned to FL (not that I'm advocating getting married right away, but I believe this is a way to gain residency status in time, but check it out for certain before really considering it as a course of action).

My ex-husband was in the Air Force and stationed at the same base, MacDill, as your fiance in 1988. He didn't get orders to transfer until 2002. He was a pharmacy tech at the base. So I believe that it depends on what field your fiance is in as to whether you will have to worry about him getting transferred. For the past couple of decades, the military has tried to limit transfers, again depending on the field, as a cost-saving measure.

Also, the pharmacy at MacDill is staffed with many volunteers (most of whom are retired military members along with their spouses), so it may be a good place for you to volunteer, but you may have to have base privileges first (again, marriage would accomplish this).

Also, if I were you, I would ask myself: Do I want to spend the next four years in Fargo? I believe you grew up in North Dakota, right? So did I. IMO, Fargo :sleep:versus Tampa :hardy: is a no-brainer... Tampa!!! Also, once you graduate from pharmacy school (I'm no expert on this topic), wouldn't you need to be licensed in the state you want to practice pharmacy? So if you went to NDSU, you'd then have to get licensed in the state of Florida, assuming you would follow your fiance.

Having said all this, I honestly think that if I were in your shoes, I'd wait a year and try for a Florida school close to MacDill (LECOM-Bradenton or UF - St. Pete campus). But I'd have to be really, really, really sure this is the guy for me.

But, then again, if I was your parents, I probably wouldn't feel the same way. Are you relying on them for any financial support during pharmacy school? If so, are you willing to forego their support and provide your own financial support? I was never one who really cared much what my parents thought about how I lived my life, but perhaps you are different.

Having gotten married myself at age 19 (my ex- was 18), and divorced later, I'm not an advocate of young marriages. I'd say wait at least until you're in your mid-20's. But then again, I don't really have any regrets of my first marriage. It just wasn't meant to last, I think. I have two beautiful daughters from my first marriage, and he and I are still friends. My life has turned out great, and my second husband is the BEST!!! (This is a bit unrelated to your question, but I wasn't sure how old you are, so I thought I'd mention something about getting married too young.)

Good luck with your decision!!! I hope I haven't confused you even more... :)

I kind of view this situation like the Robert Frost poem "The Road Not Taken":

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

10. ageldred

ageldred Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Have you tried calling up Lecom-Bradenton? I applied there but turned down their interview because I got accepted to Nova. And then they called me again for an interview two months later, very strange. I don't think they're very organized. Your stats are far more impressive than mine so I don't know why they haven't contacted you yet! I am a FL resident however I don't believe they give preference. Best of luck to you, relationships in school are very tricky,

11. The Fargoan

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Only you know if Mike is worth moving across the country for 4 years. Your post sounds like you don't question that aspect at all, which suggests to me that it would be worth the move. I think other posters are correct in pointing out the uncertainty of Mike's future transfers. Good luck in your decision!

12. eelo

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You do have a difficult decision, one that will follow you throughout your relationship with a military member.

I think you should ask Mike how long his tour in FL is expected to be. He may be assigned there for two years, maybe three, possibly four. If he's only on two-year orders, do you want to be faced with this decision again when you're halfway through school?

You aren't be the first military spouse to experience a long absence/separation, and you certainly won't be the last. That thought probably doesn't help you right now, but this is one thing that you will have to get used to. You don't have to like it, but you do have to get used to it.

I wish you strength in making your choice.

13. davyjone96431

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    take the acceptance and run!

14. RX student

RX student NSU-WPB campus
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey girl,
    I think you should call LECOM and ask them what in the heck is taking so long. Definately pay the deposit at your state school and wait. If you get into LECOM, then go there (if your man will be there for the next 4 years). If your man isn't going to be in Tampa for 4 years, then stay in your home state. Atleast pay the deposit, then you will have a little longer before you have to make your decision. Good luck and just go with your gut!!

15. ATP Synthase

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Wait and apply to Florida...you will get in easily!