Hard time choosing between 2 jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acslater99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working with Job A for a year and a half which the pay is crap. I got an offer from Job B today which the pay is significantly better than Job A. I'm having difficulty quitting Job A because I've made such good friends there and my co-workers are great.

Also I'm having a hard time leaving Job A because I feel as if my opportunity is coming to get a management position, which is a great leadership position. If I choose Job B I'll have to start all over proving to management that I'm worth a promotion. I also want to state that I talked with the manager of Job A today and he told me I'm getting a pay raise which passes the pay rate I was given from Job B. I'm not sure if that's a tactic to convince me to stay at Job A, but he did tell me he'll give me the actual amount tomorrow morning.

Job A is 30 minutes from where I live, Job B is 10 minutes from where I live.

Whats the best route to go? Lose a (future) management position with a raise or take the new job which does include incentives (tips).

Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

dont sacrifice your happiness because you think it will look good on your application

Reactions: 1 users
Job A.

The friends you've made and the potential of a managerial position sounds way better than the prospect of scraping up tips.

Members don't see this ad :)
Job A.

The friends you've made and the potential of a managerial position sounds way better than the prospect of scraping up tips.

scraping up tips? i bring in almost $1,400 a week just on tips alone. dont underestimate tips lol

Job A seems to be more appealing. Having a management position is also going to make essay writing a whole lot easier if you lack substantial leadership experience.

You can always do Job B at some other time, perhaps during the gap year of application cycle. And perhaps with the management position on your resume, you can go directly to a management position at Job B in the near future for better pay. Does that sound reasonable?

Publix vs Costco?:D

choose the place where you will be happy

Job B. Less time to get there and better pay. You may not get the promotion at job A.