Hard time finding volunteer work in my small town!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cemetra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I currently work 60 hours per week at a job that’s two hours away round trip. I’m attending two colleges as well - one to get a diploma to become a Surgical Technician (switching from a great paying aviation job to healthcare) and another to complete my undergrad in Biological Sciences. With ~ 30 hours a week of school, this totals to 102 hours per week. I’m also on night shifts, so my schedule is a little off.

I live in a really small town that doesn’t have very many volunteer opportunties to begin with, but I’ve reached out to them all. Regardless, I’m starting a one-for-one company that will donate a bunch of tangible items throughout my county and surrounding cities. I was planning to start this ASAP.

I have 3 years until applying for med school. Do you think me establishing this company and finding some small success while adding less than optimal volunteer hours would help my app?

Members don't see this ad.

How many ways can you make this hard on yourself?? Do you intend to take loans to attend medical school? Are you currently taking any educational loans for your diploma as a surgical tech?

A company that will donate items to the poor is not a volunteer activity.

Frankly, there is no point in being trained as a surgical tech. drop that. Find a brick and mortar school the most rigorous one that will take you and in an area that is rich in opportunities for volunteerism and research, go all in, study, do research, volunteer, graduate 2 years. This is going to mean two additional years of educational loans but it is a better way to get your ducks in a row than trying to work, take classes at two universities and run yourself into the ground without having time or energy for experiences that adcoms expect.
Take the MCAT and apply when you are ready whether that is one year before college graduation or after a gap year. Diddling around with an online school, a vocational education program and a ridicilous commute is not making you a better candidate for admission to medical school, it is making you a sacrificial lamb.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
How many ways can you make this hard on yourself?? Do you intend to take loans to attend medical school? Are you currently taking any educational loans for your diploma as a surgical tech?

Frankly, there is no point in being trained as a surgical tech. drop that. Find a brick and mortar school the most rigorous one that will take you and in an area that is rich in opportunities for volunteerism and research, go all in, study, do research, volunteer, graduate 2 years. This is going to mean two additional years of educational loans but it is a better way to get your ducks in a row than trying to work, take classes at two universities and run yourself into the ground without having time or energy for experiences that adcoms expect.
Take the MCAT and apply when you are ready whether that is one year before college graduation or after a gap year. Diddling around with an online school, a vocational education program and a ridicilous commute is not making you a better candidate for admission to medical school, it is making you a sacrificial lamb.

The literal only thing holding me back from this is my mortgage. After becoming a surgical tech, I could work and gain clinical experience and then have an extra 20 hours per week since I’ll go from 60 hours to 40. Then I’ll have more time to volunteer and whatnot. If I can find the opportunities. I’m a non-traditional student

Members don't see this ad :)
There are certain hospitals that enable you to volunteer there by giving you assignments you are able to complete without being onsite. If you can't find one like such, if the company you start enables you to spend time delivering the items donated, this could potentially be considered community service.

Also, I’m going to Arizona State University, which has a lot of lectures online then I fly out to do the labs in person. I know there are ~ 20 schools that accept online prerequisites and ~ 60 that are “case by case” basis, granted I’m sure I’m deemed less competitive. I do have a very supportive girlfriend, though. I might can transfer from ASU to my local university after some credits and finish strong there. I’ll look into it. Thanks

There are certain hospitals that enable you to volunteer there by giving you assignments you are able to complete without being onsite. If you can't find one like such, if the company you start enables you to spend time delivering the items donated, this could potentially be considered community service.

Awesome thank you, I’ll definitely give it a look!

But you still need some clinical exposure so make sure you get that!

But you still need some clinical exposure so make sure you get that!

Yeah I was either going to work at a clinical job and volunteer in something clinical like Habitat for humanity since I worked construction for a while OR volunteer all my time at clinical and live off loans.

I agree with LizzyM.

Take loans and go to school like a normal student. Sell your house if you need to, and then you can take fewer loans.

Invest in yourself before investing in property that ties you down.

Reactions: 3 users
The literal only thing holding me back from this is my mortgage. After becoming a surgical tech, I could work and gain clinical experience and then have an extra 20 hours per week since I’ll go from 60 hours to 40. Then I’ll have more time to volunteer and whatnot. If I can find the opportunities. I’m a non-traditional student

Are you going to continue to live in that house once you get into medical school? Cut the cord now, pretend it is a 6 year medical school rather than 4 years. It is terrifying as a non-traditional student but getting experience as a surgical tech with the idea that it gives you clinical experience will only box you in. The question will be "why do you want to be a doctor when you are already helping people through science as a surgical tech?" I hate to say this, too, but some people will look down at a tech who aspires to be a physician -- something about knowing your place. Don't let yourself be labeled and then try to rise above it. You have the grades... get into a school that will propel you into medical school and go.

On the other hand, if you are risk adverse and would be happy if you never climb higher than surgical tech, do that and be happy with your 40 hr/wk job.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with LizzyM.

Take loans and go to school like a normal student. Sell your house if you need to, and then you can take fewer loans.

Invest in yourself before investing in property that ties you down.

Well, I live in a mobile home. It’s really nice and I only owe about $13,000 now. I was wanting to pay that off so I don’t accumulate extra loans for rent over the next 4 years. Good idea or no?

Are you going to continue to live in that house once you get into medical school? Cut the cord now, pretend it is a 6 year medical school rather than 4 years. It is terrifying as a non-traditional student but getting experience as a surgical tech with the idea that it gives you clinical experience will only box you in. The question will be "why do you want to be a doctor when you are already helping people through science as a surgical tech?" I hate to say this, too, but some people will look down at a tech who aspires to be a physician -- something about knowing your place. Don't let yourself be labeled and then try to rise above it. You have the grades... get into a school that will propel you into medical school and go.

On the other hand, if you are risk adverse and would be happy if you never climb higher than surgical tech, do that and be happy with your 40 hr/wk job.

I only owe $13k on the home - it’s a mobile home. I think I’m going to take your advice and go to a brick and mortar institution. I’m going to transfer from ASU online after I get 30 credits, so I have about a year left. I’ll take classes other than my prerequisites. Work my ass off for a year and pay off the mobile home. Then live there for the next 4 years while I’m an undergrad and save myself student loans. I live close to the University anyways. Then maybe work part time as a Surgical Tech? Or just ditch that idea all together? I’m currently working 100+ hour weeks, so going back to a normal ~ 40 hour schedule will allow me plenty of time to work here and there, volunteer, research, etc.