Hard time scheduling my classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chill Pill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Here is my situation

I have a Physics course that is 7:00 - 9:50 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The only other Physics course at a different time is 9:00 - 10:15 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays also.

However, an Organic Chemistry learning community class (recitation) is on Thursdays at 9 AM.

If I swap those Physics classes and count out the Organic recitation I will have evenings free. This enables me to attend Pharmacy Technician classes at a local technical school.

Would you give up a study group session for Organic Chemistry so you could get Pharmacy Tech training?

Sorry for the long post, I am having trouble deciding and hopefully I can read some opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

If you think that the study group session for Ochem will improve your comprehension and grades for Ochem I would forget about the technician training. School is much more important than technician training. Have you considered working as a pharmacy clerk instead?

Pharmacy tech classes at a technical school??? lol, skip em. Plenty of retail places will hire you right off the street and teach you everything you need to know. Go get a trainee license if that's what your state offers. Heck, go take the PTCB exam, its not really that hard if you just study out of a study guide.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the pharmacy I applied to said I need the certification.

So I should save my money and buy a study guide? I am looking at Mosby's Pharmacy Tech book and some flash cards of the top 200 drugs. Would that be sufficient for the PTCB?

So I should save my money and buy a study guide? I am looking at Mosby's Pharmacy Tech book and some flash cards of the top 200 drugs. Would that be sufficient for the PTCB?

How long until you apply? I would say skip both organic study group and tech study session and enjoy your time. I like to study on my own though but if you want to choose the more beneficial one, choose organic study group. If you fail the certification test who cares, take it again but if you do bad in organic chem that could hurt you because it will be on your transcript.

Less risk involved if you drop the certification class, ochem grade is more important. Get the PTCB book, I have heard many people say it was plenty for them.

Some pharmacies require certification even if state law does not. Check out your state law to find out if you really need certification to work as a tech in your state. Tech school is alot of money and time. If you want to be a tech, maybe go for it. If you want to be a pharmacist, don't bother. Go for what really matters, good prereq grades and PCAT scores. If you need a pharmacist reference and have to be a certified tech to get hired, try volunteering instead. It'll be cheaper in the long run compared to paying for tech classes.

hello, i have some ptcb stuff that you can buy if you are interested. i passed the ptcb exam and i studied for it for about 4 hours (i am not kidding - i seriously thought i was not going to pass, but i guess i prepared well for math (lots of drug conversions) - so you should be fine if you are good at math and memorized your drugs)

feel free to send me a private message =)

I would say you should drop the pharm tech class... like others said before, unless your state REQUIRES certification before getting a pharmacy job, there's no point in getting PTCB certification. In my experience, on-the-job training supplemented with personal desire to learn the job is all you need to do great in a pharmacy job.

When I took organic chemistry in college, I sat in during another ochem professor's lecture in addition to my registered class to supplement my understanding of the course material. I really felt like I didn't have to study as much since the extra hour of attending the other prof's lecture was just reinforcing the study material for the exams. If your college offers multiple sections, that might be a better choice instead of attending a study session - study groups can often times be distracting and detrimental to your success in your course depending on your group.

I would say you should drop the pharm tech class... like others said before, unless your state REQUIRES certification before getting a pharmacy job, there's no point in getting PTCB certification. In my experience, on-the-job training supplemented with personal desire to learn the job is all you need to do great in a pharmacy job.

When I took organic chemistry in college, I sat in during another ochem professor's lecture in addition to my registered class to supplement my understanding of the course material. I really felt like I didn't have to study as much since the extra hour of attending the other prof's lecture was just reinforcing the study material for the exams. If your college offers multiple sections, that might be a better choice instead of attending a study session - study groups can often times be distracting and detrimental to your success in your course depending on your group.

that is such a smart idea. how come i didnt think of that =)

maybe i can do that when i get into a pharm school =)

thanks for the tip