Hardest class in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoWork91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the hardest class you've taken in dental school so far? Just wondering. I'm a D1.

Members don't see this ad.

Pointless question. Depends on the school and instructors. At my school, most of the hardest classes were 1 or 2 hour courses, not the big 6 and 8 hour ones.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For me it was general pathology which was a year long and then oral pathology which was a semester. I liked oral path significantly more than general which makes sense for our profession.

What did you guys think of anatomy? I HATE the lab portion of it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a D1 as well.
-Morphology was tough because grading for the wax-ups was totally subjective. Several different professors graded different parts of different teeth, and they all had different standards for what qualifies as a "good" tooth. I got a solid B on my first wax-up, a C on my second, failed my third, then an A on my fourth. Crazy.

-I have heard that oral path, internal med, and perio are some of the toughest classes of D2 and D3.

I'm a D1 as well.
-Morphology was tough because grading for the wax-ups was totally subjective. Several different professors graded different parts of different teeth, and they all had different standards for what qualifies as a "good" tooth. I got a solid B on my first wax-up, a C on my second, failed my third, then an A on my fourth. Crazy.

-I have heard that oral path, internal med, and perio are some of the toughest classes of D2 and D3.

Subjective grading so frustrating sometimes....I can relate entirely.

I'm a D1. Dental Anatomy is KILLER at our school; I think last year there were 17 people who had to remediate (in a class of 75.)

Happy to say that I passed :dead:

Removable prosth lab.

Setting denture teeth. Probably the hardest and most frustrating hand-skill-related project we've had to do yet.

The class that required the most studying - hours of just sitting there studying notes and reading - was probably anatomy, physio, and occlusion.

Hard to say, all can be tough in their own way... depends on how you learn. Some find hand skills difficult, some find memorization difficult, some find application difficult, so the hardest to everyone might be different. For me, I would likely say OPath - its a doozy.

Can someone tell me a little about oral path? What's the class like? Is there a lab part. I'm not sure when we have that at my school. I hate anatomy because of the lab practicals. I'm just not good at identifying the little nerves that all look exactly the same and are in the same area...super frustrated.

Can someone tell me a little about oral path? What's the class like? Is there a lab part. I'm not sure when we have that at my school. I hate anatomy because of the lab practicals. I'm just not good at identifying the little nerves that all look exactly the same and are in the same area...super frustrated.

There shouldn't be any didactic science labs besides anatomy. So no histo, phys, biochem, or path labs.
Anatomy lab will be frustrating. You just have to spend a lot of time in the lab after hours to make sure you can identify everything.

not looking forward to pharmacology ..

Gross anatomy, physiology, pathology, and pharmacology are the classes that seem to get mentioned a lot. I can only attest to gross at this point, which is more time consuming than difficult. If you make it a priority to study a little bit every day, you'll be golden. There aren't difficult concepts, just massive quantities of nomenclature to learn. I like using Anki and zipping through a hundred flash cards in half and hour here and there. I learn when I make the cards, then cement it into my memory the second and third time through. A PDF of Grant's + shift-control-command-4 on a mac make creating cards with nice images fairly quick. Easy breezy.

40% of our class just failed an exam in Head and Neck Anatomy. So for the first semester, without a blink of an eye, it is probably the hardest class in my school.

Anatomy was tough for my class but easy for me. Pharmacology was a struggle but I created a great system for doing well in it. I took Biochem in undergrad, an additional Biochem course before dental school, Biochem in dental school and I still stuggled with that. All the classes are doable but the problem will be time management. You can spend so much time focusing on your most difficult classes that you have no time for the "easy" classes. It's so much different than undergrad where you can cherry pick courses, taking an light load one semester to pad your GPA.

Anatomy was tough for my class but easy for me. Pharmacology was a struggle but I created a great system for doing well in it. I took Biochem in undergrad, an additional Biochem course before dental school, Biochem in dental school and I still stuggled with that. All the classes are doable but the problem will be time management. You can spend so much time focusing on your most difficult classes that you have no time for the "easy" classes. It's so much different than undergrad where you can cherry pick courses, taking an light load one semester to pad your GPA.

Could you share your system for pharm? I will be taking it next semester and it worries me.

Could you share your system for pharm? I will be taking it next semester and it worries me.
I try every drug and see which one screws me up the most?