1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Hardy Weinberg problem?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by teefRcool, Nov 24, 2005.

1. teefRcool

teefRcool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm having problem with this question.

Using Hardy-Weinberg principle, they gave me p and q outright, saying p=.7, q=.3, what is the percent of heterozygotes?

Could someone explain how this works and what the answer is and also some other scenarios that you might think they would other types of problems that deals with hardy weinberg.

Thanks guys, I just get lost when it comes to these problems.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mitshi

mitshi Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

p and q are simply allelic frequencies. They need to appear in pairs in order to constitute individuals [ i.e., homozygous (p^2 or q^2) or heterozygous (pq) ]

p + q = 1 ----- (1)

Squaring both sides of (1),

(p + q)^2 = 1^2

p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1 ----- (2)

From (2),

2pq = 2(0.7)(0.3) = 0.42 ==> 42%

If you understand what I meant, post your answers here for percent of each homozygote...

(Note: Questions of this type in the real DAT seldom involve calculation. They will usually be phrased with some other unrelated stuffs to test your basic understanding on Hardy-Weinberg principle. I remembered a repeated DAT question on the cheetah population has been well explained in DAT Achiever, a great program that had helped me a lot.)

Good luck to you then ... :)

4. teefRcool

teefRcool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks mitshi, i understand a little. So if we were given pq and q we could find p by itself by using the p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1 right?

5. mitshi

mitshi Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

That's right. However, thorough understanding to the principle is of utmost importance. The algebraic stuff is just simple math not to be confused with. For instance, they can give you the percent of the dominant homozygotes as 49 % and asking you to determine the recessive allele frequency. Then:

p^2 = 0.49

Square-rooting both sides,

p = 0.7 ==> q = 0.3

6. teefRcool

teefRcool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thank a ton mitshi!!