Harvard Class requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeventhSon

SIMMER DOWN
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they REALLY want a full year lab of biology, o-chem, and i-chem? Wtf?

e.g. I am on the quarter system. Lab and lecture classes are decoupled. We only have 2 quarters of i-chem lab even offered. It is standard to just take one quarter of o-chem.

On their website it says "full year class and lab" but until i got their invite it didnt say "1 yer class + 1 year lab" any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

SeventhSon said:

e.g. I am on the quarter system. Lab and lecture classes are decoupled. We only have 2 quarters of i-chem lab even offered. It is standard to just take one quarter of o-chem.

On their website it says "full year class and lab" but until i got their invite it didnt say "1 yer class + 1 year lab" any help would be appreciated.

With your score on the PS of the mcat, I doubt there will be any question of your preparedness in either inorganic chemistry or physics. As for the organic, maybe you should take a semester (or quarter or whatever craziness your school does) of biochemistry, that usually can take the place of additional orgo. You might not have that as an option, however, so I would contact the admissions office and find out the exact answer to your concerns.

Maybe they're trying to weed out people who can't even figure out what classes to take.......

Members don't see this ad :)
SeventhSon said:

Contact the office and ask. Medical schools can and do make exceptions to their academic requirements if you have a good reason for it and can show competency in other ways.

Telemachus said:
Maybe they're trying to weed out people who can't even figure out what classes to take.......

haha... their website says "one year of biology and lab". That's not very clear :\.

Telemachus said:
Yes it is. :)

just curious, do other places use the same language? I hope i'm not screwed everywhere :laugh:

and i thought i was going to get to take 2 classes this quarter...

Most places use similar language.

Do you have a premed advisor you can contact to see how other applicants from your school have handled things?

Some schools do things strangely. For example, I only have one semester of organic chemistry lab, but that's because where I took it, it's a totally separate class from the lecture portion and the lab basically combines both semesters of organic chem lecture into one (and is correspondingly worth more credits). I haven't had any problems so far with schools accepting that I fulfill the year of organic chem + lab requirement.

Good luck! :luck:

ThrustOwnage said:
seventh son, for you, since you are hispanic, i think harvard would let u in if u can spell organic chemistry[/Q

Can you spell racist?

Ashanti Rock said:
ThrustOwnage said:
seventh son, for you, since you are hispanic, i think harvard would let u in if u can spell organic chemistry[/Q

Can you spell racist?
a f f i r m a t i v e a c t i o n

lol...i kid i kid ;)

ThrustOwnage said:
seventh son, for you, since you are hispanic, i think harvard would let u in if u can spell organic chemistry

O-R-G-A-N-I-K

C-H-E-M-I-S-T-R-E-E

hell yeah i'm in, i can decline interviews and save money now! :luck:

ThrustOwnage said:
seventh son, for you, since you are hispanic, i think harvard would let u in if u can spell organic chemistry

I hope this wasn't supposed to be funny, this type of comments are racist, insulting and discriminatory (and also sounds bitter, kick yourself if you can't get an interview at harvard!!!).

doctoresse said:
I hope this wasn't supposed to be funny, this type of comments are racist, insulting and discriminatory (and also sounds bitter, kick yourself if you can't get an interview at harvard!!!).

"I hope this wasn't supposed to be funny, these types of comments are racist,"

i can tell from your grammar that you must be hispanic/native american/black.
have fun enjoying the pain of ur ancestors

Members don't see this ad :)
ThrustOwnage said:
"I hope this wasn't supposed to be funny, these types of comments are racist,"

i can tell from your grammar that you must be hispanic/native american/black.
have fun enjoying the pain of ur ancestors

So only people of those descents have improper grammar! Get a life, and while you're at it, a new future career!

SeventhSon said:

To return to the OP's question:

I think if they were going to be strict about those requirements, then they wouldn't have given you an interview. Since they DID give you an interview, I think you're safe! And congratulations, that's really awesome! :luck:

amandil said:
To return to the OP's question:

I think if they were going to be strict about those requirements, then they wouldn't have given you an interview. Since they DID give you an interview, I think you're safe! And congratulations, that's really awesome! :luck:

Not necessarily. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the requisite classes required for matriculation rather than acceptance?

quantummechanic said:
Not necessarily. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the requisite classes required for matriculation rather than acceptance?

hmmm... possibly. But then, isn't the question kind of jumping the gun? :laugh:

for the record, towards anyone who actually is interested in the topic...

I talked to two people who interviewed already, both of whom said a full year is not required.

Harvard sends a "Requirements Worksheet" that lists requisites and asks you to fill in courses which satisfy those requirements.

My sheet came in a file that is called "REQCKLST[revised].doc" or something, indicating that most likely, an earlier checklist was sent out that may not have had the same language. I'll call the office tomorrow.

Cheers.

ThrustOwnage said:
Wow, what a ******ed comment. You have a way of showing off your brilliance in this post that just amazes.... :rolleyes:

Cool it with the racist comments, Chief.

SeventhSon said:

Seventhson, when I was there they told us that they don't actually look at the requirements sheet until they give you an acceptance. But you are responsible for calling the admissions office to talk to them about your specific case. From my understanding fulfilling the requirements must be done before matriculation one way or another and you probably don't want to spend your last summer before med school studying. :)

ThrustOwnage, you couldn't figure out from people's posts who were of what descent. You're a loser and a f*ckface and you better get off this forum before I find you and kick your ass!

I'm kidding about the latter but not the former.

Oh, and is my grammar good enough for you?
btw, I'm African-Canadian.

silverjelly said:
ThrustOwnage, you couldn't figure out from people's posts who were of what descent. You're a loser and a f*ckface and you better get off this forum before I find you and kick your ass!

I'm kidding about the latter but not the former.

Oh, and is my grammar good enough for you?
btw, I'm African-Canadian.

"You're a loser and a f*ckface, and you better get off this forum before I find you and kick your ass!"
you need that comma there, because it is a compound sentence. better luck next time.

As a member of a minority, I am appalled to see that people actually think this way about others.

Last edited:
i e-mailed the office today and they didn't respond. Should have called i guess. GrRrRrRrR

SeventhSon said:
for the record, towards anyone who actually is interested in the topic...

I talked to two people who interviewed already, both of whom said a full year is not required.

Harvard sends a "Requirements Worksheet" that lists requisites and asks you to fill in courses which satisfy those requirements.

My sheet came in a file that is called "REQCKLST[revised].doc" or something, indicating that most likely, an earlier checklist was sent out that may not have had the same language. I'll call the office tomorrow.

Cheers.

Hey, are you interviewing for HST or NP or both? And when? I interviewed on Tuesday for HST (no NP interview). Good luck! Hopefully we both have success with the big H.

SeventhSon said:
i e-mailed the office today and they didn't respond. Should have called i guess. GrRrRrRrR

You'll be fine- one of these days you'll be passing racist post-ers in the hallway- you in a whitecoat, them with a broom.

Good luck to you, my friend! :luck:

themadchemist said:
Hey, are you interviewing for HST or NP or both? And when? I interviewed on Tuesday for HST (no NP interview). Good luck! Hopefully we both have success with the big H.

both... 1/23-4, NP/HST/MD-PhD

best of luck to you!!

ThrustOwnage said:
[removed by moderator]

and if he didnt put that he was hispanic on his mdapplicant profile, you'd think he'd have no chance at harvard right????

I mean a 37 mcat, a plus 3.9 gpa with research and clinical experience is not sufficient to be considered for hms on one's own merit?

go away...

quantummechanic said:
and if he didnt put that he was hispanic on his mdapplicant profile, you'd think he'd have no chance at harvard right????

I mean a 37 mcat, a plus 3.9 gpa with research and clinical experience is not sufficient to be considered for hms on one's own merit?

go away...

Quantum, well said.

quantummechanic said:

go away...

quantum, believe it or not, there are a lot more ppl than u think who have 3.9 gpas and 37 mcat. just because most of the ppl on SDN are ******s and get 33- mcat and 3.5 gpas doesnt mean every pre-med student is as unqualified

ThrustOwnage said:
quantum, believe it or not, there are a lot more ppl than u think who have 3.9 gpas and 37 mcat. just because most of the ppl on SDN are ******s and get 33- mcat and 3.5 gpas doesnt mean every pre-med student is as unqualified

I guess I'll answer this, whereas up to this point I've been mute because his posts have been blatantly inflammatory. You know what? Yes, being a member of an under-represented minority definitely helps my application immensely, and I wouldn't have the opportunities to interview at the places I am without that fact.

At the same time, however, I don't feel a need to apologize for that fact because it is something over which I have no control. There are many people that have beef with the fact that URM's are given more leniency in applying to medical school, especially with respect to numbers, but that is not under any of our control but rather the control of Admissions Committees who hold the view that there are huge portions of the US that suffer from a lack of healthcare (who often happen to be minorities) and that there are positive effects to be gained from diversity in a student body, where diversity includes but is not limited to race and ethnicity.

I have nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of, and I identify my ethnicity on mdapplicants because it is my sole intention to display my candidacy as openly as possible so that it is informative to those who view it. I openly acknowledge that being a member of a URM greatly strengthens my application and that has something to do with the interviews I am getting on mdapplicants. I feel lucky that I, unlike other URM members of this board, don't get badgered on MDapplicants about where I get interviews because my gpa/MCAT are competitive with the averages at all of those institutions.

I don't take anything you are saying seriously because I assume you are just enjoying being a troll, but I still think you should stop because you must agree by this point that you have humored yourself as much as you're going to.

Cheers.

P.S. People who don't have 33+ MCAT are not ******ed by any means. Even a 30 is well over the 80th percentile, isn't it?

SeventhSon said:
.I have nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of
QUOTE]

And you shouldn't. Your numbers are awesome, your demeanor towards this jack@ss is calm despite his words, and your head is right where it should be. Not up your arse, like everyone's can be at some point.

You will make a great doctor.

Comeon guys, grow up.

The guy is clearly trying to do nothing but piss you off, and you fell right into his plans like suckers with your replies that only fuelled his troll fire.

ThrustOwnage said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i smell flamebait

kimmcauliffe said:
SeventhSon said:
.I have nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of
QUOTE]

And you shouldn't. Your numbers are awesome, your demeanor towards this jack@ss is calm despite his words, and your head is right where it should be. Not up your arse, like everyone's can be at some point.

You will make a great doctor.

Haha, I love it that you can already tell that someone will be a great doctor based on page-length post on a public forum and a peek at their statistics.

kdburton said:
kimmcauliffe said:
Haha, I love it that you can already tell that someone will be a great doctor based on page-length post on a public forum and a peek at their statistics.

And you can tell from a page-length post that he won't be?