Harvard Divinity School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AticusHolmes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to Harvard Divinity School for their Masters in Theological Studies program. I have the MCAT and academic credentials to be competitive at these schools. I was just curious as to what the impact was of having a masters degree from there on my admission chances. Is it a plus? or not a big deal.

I obviously applied there because I have a deep and profound in interest in theology (comparative religions), but I am curious as to whether or not there are side benefits or not.

peace....

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted to Harvard Divinity School for their Masters in Theological Studies program. I have the MCAT and academic credentials to be competitive at these schools. I was just curious as to what the impact was of having a masters degree from there on my admission chances. Is it a plus? or not a big deal.

I obviously applied there because I have a deep and profound in interest in theology (comparative religions), but I am curious as to whether or not there are side benefits or not.

peace....

wat

Its Harvard. Go do your MTheol. Think about Med school later. It won't hurt your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your question is "will having a MTS from Harvard Divinity School improve my chances of getting into Harvard Medical School?". If you are as good or better than the average Harvard med school student and you have that unusual hook (MTS) then, yes, perhaps you will have something that sets you apart from the pack and helps you stand out among the thousands of other highly qualified applications.

Last edited:
Just make sure your application to med school makes it clear you want to become a clinician eventually. This is coming from someone who also had a fringe interest like this with a masters before med school.

If you truly have a deep interest in Theology and aren't just anxious to put "Harvard" on your resume...yeah, I'll buy it. But if you ultimately want to be a clinician, why pay 2 years worth of tuition (and div school isn't cheap!) before applying? Just because you think it would better your chances? I can think of a million and one other ways to "better" your chances that don't involve two years tuition. If you really love theology, contact a prof and do independent research with them. Get something published that way. It'd be much cheaper and you could still use it as a "hook" in your application.

The ivy league div schools aren't particularly competitive. Of course there is value in spending time learning about what you love. But I sense you might want to do this because you think it will give you an edge, a possible backdoor acceptance to Harvard med or similar. There are cheaper ways to give yourself an edge.