Harvard Extension vs. Bryn Mawr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any input? Harvard Extension allows the possibility to work while taking classes, though Bryn Mawr seems to have much better advising and a community feel.

Members don't see this ad.

From my knowledge, Harvard Extension is a completely do it yourself program. You can take courses individually while applying for the formal premed postbac program. Most people in the program take 2 classes per semester with someone going up to 4. The benefit of being in this program is that you can branch and take other courses, but that is on your own time from the premed program, but it's an option. For the most part, I know a lot of people take low key jobs and most of them only do part time so they can allot time and energy in their classes.

Bryn Mawr is a structured program that requires students to commit full time. I am less famliar with that program, but I don't believe people can work at all. They have direct linkages to several universities whereas Harvard Extension does not. You are correct in that Bryn Mawr is more community-oriented because the students all are on the same course schedules.

In my Bryn Mawr interview, the students mentioned a suggested ~10 hr/wk upper limit on volunteering or shadowing activities. It didn't seem like any of the people that I talked to had jobs, even part-time ones. Obviously, a current or former student would be better able to speak to the pace of the experience, but I think that this gives an idea of how academically focused the students are while in the program. They did also mention that there are interest groups, e.g. wellness, Philadelphia activities, so there must be some free time, and everybody seemed very happy and well integrated with their cohort.

I don't know much about HES because it wouldn't have been a good fit for me, but I imagine that the decision between these two kinds of programs would come down to what timeline you want, how many prerequisites you have already done, how competitive an applicant you already are, and how much advising you think would be helpful.