Harvard HST vs New Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bostonienses

Tripping on lactic acid
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I looked at the HMS website, trying to figure out the difference between the HST and new pathway. Can anyone explain to me the differences between these guys?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

for the HST, u take some classes at MIT and u do research and work on a thesis, thats about all i know

Most students do New Pathway - it's the problem based learning, emphasis on independent study kind of thing. HST, as I understand it (I'm not applying for it), is the program with MIT that is more research based, lots more lecture time - it's kind of for people with more of a hardcore science/math background or interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, guys. That link was very helpful, I missed it somehow... I guess I've been spending waaay too much time in the lab!
:sleep:

Originally posted by Bostonienses
Thanks, guys. That link was very helpful, I missed it somehow... I guess I've been spending waaay too much time in the lab!
:sleep:

That might be a reason to apply to HST...very research-based (for example, almost ALL MD/PHD students at Harvard are in HST).

Uff, after clicking "refresh" 5 times I finally get to post!!
Yeah, I read more about that HST thing. I am currently a PhD student at BU Medical, and I think I might be able to defend in the summer of 2004 (just in time to start med school, am I crazy or what?!)
I like doing research and I do think that I would be a good candidate for HST. At the same time, I would really enjoy to take part into problem based learning; after slaving in lab for soo long, the last thing I want to do is feel like all I am doing in going to class... Does this make any sense?
Another question: Do you guys feel that it would be to my disadvantage (being that I am a PhD candidate) if I decided not to go for HST?
Thanks!