Harvard Med Student - AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxPlancker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it.

I remember being a premed and having lots of burning questions, only to get a meh answer most of the time. Ask away for the raw, no filter answers!

Members don't see this ad.

Title says it.

I remember being a premed and having lots of burning questions, only to get a meh answer most of the time. Ask away for the raw, no filter answers!
What's Harvard med school like? Does it matter what med school I attend?

How is the environment among your peers? Collaborative or very cut-throat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any of your classmates stuck up? I’ve heard that’s much worse at UPenn and WashU.

What's Harvard med school like? Does it matter what med school I attend?
For some quick context, there are two distinct tracks, the Pathways curriculum and the Health and Sciences Technology (HST) curriculum. I'm in the larger one, Pathways, which has a 1 year preclinical phase followed by clerkships second year. After that we have advanced rotations and lots of time for research, away rotations, vacation, whatever you want to do really. HST is the smaller more basic science focused curriculum (30 students) with a traditional 2 + 2 curriculum.

Overall, I'm super happy to be here and have no regrets whatsoever. I think the best part is that our preclinical AND clerkships are pass/fail. I didn't fully appreciate how awesome it is to partake in a P/F curriculum until I went through it, especially for clerkships. It really takes a lot of stress and pressure off, and lets you focus on learning at your own pace. Definitely choose a P/F school if you can. Our preclinical was also majority PBL, which means very few lectures. This was great as I was never an auditory learner and would fall asleep in lectures. One thing that really impressed me was how the faculty are super supportive and we have tons of working committees that take student feedback regularly and ACTUALLY incorporate changes into our curriculum as we go. We also get to see a lot of both simple and complex cases, having several major affiliated teaching hospitals as well as community hospitals.

Regarding your second question, yes it definitely matters, but for reasons specific to you. Here's how I would go about choosing a medical school:
1) Choose a P/F school
2) Consider whether you want an accelerated 1 year preclinical vs 2 year preclinical. I think learning really happens on the wards and love having had clerkships MS2. This also gives you an edge for STEP 1 because you've taken so many Shelf exams by that time, you're in the groove, and have a lot of valuable clinical knowledge that can sometimes give you shortcuts on STEP 1.
3) Consider where you want to match for residency, geographically. It's usually advantageous to go to a school in that region, and of course, if you want for whatever reason to match at one specific program, then your best bet is to go to that program's medical school.
4) Consider match lists. This sounds really over the top perhaps, but it's reality. Some schools have names that really open doors for you, even if your scores and evaluations are a bit weaker. Fair or not, it gives you a safety net, so take it.
5) Financial considerations - I personally think that the debt that you go into shouldn't matter at all really, you will pay it off eventually. Don't sacrifice your career prospects for money. Many will disagree, but I think by setting yourself up for potentially a better residency and fellowship and job, that will pay dividends, perhaps not solely in $$$ but in many ways, including giving you the POWER to match where you want to - especially important if you end up with a significant other and you really need to match in a competitive city.
6) Classmates are really hit or miss by year. The culture being collaborative or gunner really varies based on that particular year in my opinion. Go to revisit, but don't let it sway your decision too much. You'll get along.

Reactions: 8 users
How is the environment among your peers? Collaborative or very cut-throat?
It really depends on the year. I think when people say X place is very Y quality, it is a really narrow, simple view, and the specific students in a particular year dictate that year's culture and values. My year is somewhere in between, the year above us is more collaborative, the year below us is gunning balls out.

Overall, there is little incentive to be very cut-throat at a P/F curriculum since there are no honors to gun for. For clerkships, even though it is P/F, there is some incentive to perform better than your peers because you still need recommendation letters and receive written clinical evals for your dean's and department chair letters.

Reactions: 2 users
Are any of your classmates stuck up? I’ve heard that’s much worse at UPenn and WashU.
Yea of course, quite a few of them haha. But again, I think it comes with the territory and also varies class by class. You'll have those people no matter where you go, and it shouldn't really sway your decision IMO

What are the schedules for clinical rotations? Do you have to go in on weekends? Are they 12 hour days like I’ve been reading online? What do you do during your 3rd and 4th year

In your class, who had the most incredible story before getting into Harvard? People always joke about the accepted students having cured cancer for African orphans, started substantial non-profit for the blind, etc., so I was wondering if there were really unique cases like that.

What are the schedules for clinical rotations? Do you have to go in on weekends? Are they 12 hour days like I’ve been reading online? What do you do during your 3rd and 4th year
12 months of rotations, divided up by specialty (3 months medicine, 3 months surgery, and then 1-2 months for the remaining disciplines). Some rotations you do go in on weekends or take up to 30 hour call (surgery rotation). I'd say average day length depends on specialty, but does end up being around 12 hours with the exception of psych & radiology (more like 6-8 hour days).

3rd and 4th year are for advanced electives, such as SubIs, away rotations, exploring fields like Derm, Rad Onc, IR. You also have lots of time for other non-clinical pursuits such as research.

Are you doing clinical research? If so, are you published?

12 months of rotations, divided up by specialty (3 months medicine, 3 months surgery, and then 1-2 months for the remaining disciplines). Some rotations you do go in on weekends or take up to 30 hour call (surgery rotation). I'd say average day length depends on specialty, but does end up being around 12 hours with the exception of psych & radiology (more like 6-8 hour days).

3rd and 4th year are for advanced electives, such as SubIs, away rotations, exploring fields like Derm, Rad Onc, IR. You also have lots of time for other non-clinical pursuits such as research.
Can you explain what a typical day is like doing rotations? Maybe your average day in surgery, let’s say. Do you get in a 5am leave at 5pm? How often are your breaks .. sorry these are oddly specific I am just trying to get a better idea.

And if you go in on weekends is it the full day?

In your class, who had the most incredible story before getting into Harvard? People always joke about the accepted students having cured cancer for African orphans, started substantial non-profit for the blind, etc., so I was wondering if there were really unique cases like that.
Yea there are some really crazy people, but those are rare (more like 1 per several years). There's two guys at our school who have about 60 pubs each, majority first author in journals such as Nature, Science, JAMA, Lancet, NEJM. More than most full, tenured profs (lol). Again, those are about 1 every 2-3 years at most.

Then there's about 10% of the class who have stellar ECs, whether it be Rhodes Marshall Fulbright Olympian Professional Athlete First Author basic science Actor/Model (fairly well known) combat veterans, etc.

The next 40% are very solid ECs that have demonstrated lots of passion in one specific area that if you were to meet them, you'd say they're the X person. I would put legacy and URM students in this group.

The remaining 50% or so really don't have anything that stands out like crazy but are solid all-around. These people are IMO the "lottery picks", since the other 50% top schools will always want, and then the rest of the class is filled with very solid but not extraordinary candidates. Put another way, the top 10% are essentially guaranteed admission, the 40% extremely good chance (70+%), the last 50% probably 10%? All just my guesses.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain what a typical day is like doing rotations? Maybe your average day in surgery, let’s say. Do you get in a 5am leave at 5pm? How often are your breaks .. sorry these are oddly specific I am just trying to get a better idea.

And if you go in on weekends is it the full day?
Weekends are typically full days, but again may vary depending on the specific rotation or service/hospital you're at.

The content of a day varies by rotation and setting (outpatient or inpatient) but the typical day is inpatient starting with pre-rounding (where you talk to your patients about overnight events and see any new patients), rounding (chatting about all the patients on the team about the plan for the day eg getting labs, imaging, procedures, discharge, etc), and then afternoon is usually filled with conference/teaching/work hours where you work on the tasks that your team came up with during rounds that morning. Surgery can be as bad as 4pm IN, 9pm OUT; medicine is more reasonable, like 5:30-6am IN, 6pm OUT, psych was 8:30am IN, 4pm OUT for me.

Breaks totally vary on the amount of work for a day, how nice your team is, etc. Usually not too much!

Reactions: 1 user
how long did it take you to publish?
Depends on what stage of the project you come in on, the field of research (even within clinical), the type of research (review, met analysis, primary research), etc etc. A lot of it is luck but if you do clinical research you should be able to produce something (idea to publication) within a few months at most if you work hard. A lot of research is waiting around on other people's inputs, data collection, etc which take time but don't necessarily take up much of YOUR time. Basic on the other hand, you'll need to really put in the work and though more impressive if you publish, you may most likely not end up with anything with med school hours.

Weekends are typically full days, but again may vary depending on the specific rotation or service/hospital you're at.

The content of a day varies by rotation and setting (outpatient or inpatient) but the typical day is inpatient starting with pre-rounding (where you talk to your patients about overnight events and see any new patients), rounding (chatting about all the patients on the team about the plan for the day eg getting labs, imaging, procedures, discharge, etc), and then afternoon is usually filled with conference/teaching/work hours where you work on the tasks that your team came up with during rounds that morning. Surgery can be as bad as 4pm IN, 9pm OUT; medicine is more reasonable, like 5:30-6am IN, 6pm OUT, psych was 8:30am IN, 4pm OUT for me.

Breaks totally vary on the amount of work for a day, how nice your team is, etc. Usually not too much!
Wow that is intense for surgery. How do people have the stamina to do that for 3 months straight

Which of the hospitals do students prefer for rotations?

Which of the hospitals do students prefer for rotations?
All the prestige ****** want MGH or BWH when they first arrive, but then they soon realize that the nicest and best teaching site is BID so that becomes the most popular site for the advanced electives and sub-Is, of course with some variability depending on what specialty. For some context, this year most of the medicine subI slots went unfilled for MGH.

Not that MGH and BWH are bad, it's just that BID really has a culture of teaching more so than those two hospitals. Getting bad teams can happen at any hospital and is kinda luck of the draw.

How much do you think the Harvard name helps in terms of prestige/opportunities being open to you vs another T10 school?

How is the mentorship from faculty and teaching at hospitals? Are there big differences between MGH, BWH and BID?

Do many of your classmates come from HYPSM institutions? Or does the name of your undergrad truly not matter?

How much do you think the Harvard name helps in terms of prestige/opportunities being open to you vs another T10 school?

In terms of matching for residency, I think Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins are in a league of their own if you look purely by their Match lists. Outside that, I don't have objective data to back it up but my impression is that if you were advertising services to the average US citizen, they would probably choose those graduates over some of the other great T10s like Michigan, even though the school really has nothing to do with how great you are clinically. I think without a doubt the H takes the win if you're considering foreign countries. How much this actually matters, I'm not sure. One tangible example is the psychiatrists here feel that coming from McLean, it's very doable to set up a thriving private practice in a few years. So really, the benefit is specific to what realm you're dealing with, but generally, I do think having the lay-prestige of the Harvard name can only help.

How is the mentorship from faculty and teaching at hospitals? Are there big differences between MGH, BWH and BID?

BID is known as the "nice, teaching-focused" hospital among all the students. However, you still get great teaching at all the hospitals, the main difference is whether you end up with a resident/attending team that seems to enjoy teaching students. My hunch is BID has this reputation because their clerkship directors seem to go the extra mile in setting up their programs - more didactic lectures, has an in person end of rotation feedback session which they use to change clerkships for the next batch, etc.

The mentorship is excellent across all institutions and very accessible! The advisors that I've had really lay down good advice for my career and also make sure that I've thought about all the options before settling. Even my super busy research mentor at MGH makes time weekly to meet with each person in the lab, not to talk science but about life and careers.

Having a big wig from MGH or BWH probably goes further if you're strictly speaking benefits like residency letters, but I haven't noticed differences in accessibility, openness, receptivity to students.

• Love
Do many of your classmates come from HYPSM institutions? Or does the name of your undergrad truly not matter?

Numbers vary year-to-year, but the past few years, these have been the approximate numbers:

135 Pathways Students
30-35 Harvard
10 MIT
5 Princeton
5-10 Yale
3-5 Stanford
5-10 UC Schools
~70 undergradaute institutions over all

So doing some math, HYPSM = about 40% the class, then if you add on the other schools like UMich, Vandy, Duke, they often have about 2 people from each school on average. So a huge proportion is from brand-name institutions, and HYPSM is definitely overrepresented.

I think the reason for this is 1) obviously going to the UG institution helps your chances 2) students at these schools on average end up with better grades, ECs, etc 3) the unique ECs these people had to get into college actually help a **** ton if they've kept up with it, for med school admissions because at the tip top institutions its more about how you bring a special piece to the class rather than intellect.

Edit: I will also add that while 30 is a huge proportion, and skewed by the fact that it is the UG here, if you actually think about 5-10 from the rest of YPSM, that probably means they were among the top 10 pre-meds applying from those institutions, which kinda is not that much, as these schools have a huge number of premeds (Harvard UG has >300 yearly). So just going to these schools doesn't guarantee you anything and could be even more stressful if you put in perspective the people you're "competing" with.

Last edited:
Hi thanks so much for doing this! I’m an admitted Pathways student still very torn about whether or not to attend. I have a few questions:

1. You mentioned that there is more flexibility in your 3rd and 4th years where students go on vacations or do away rotations for example? I’m from CA originally and my entire support system is here so I’m extremely anxious at the idea of setting out on my own and moving my life to Boston. To top it off, HMS has very short breaks (ie no 4 wk summer after MS1... only 1 week!!!). Is it possible to take an extended vacation in your 3rd or 4th year? Can I do aways in CA? Can I conduct research in CA? Ultimately, I would like to do my residency in CA and practice here too so it would be awesome to have some time to go back to CA in my 3rd and/or 4th year.

2. What were your thoughts about the 1 year condensed case based learning curriculum? Do you feel like you were prepared going into the wards? I’m apprehensive that you have to study so much on your own without any faculty direction... and then the quality of your learning must really depend on your small groups right? And I feel like group learning is always hit or miss...

3. How frequently did you have exams during your first year? Did the exams require you to spend a lot of time studying? Did you supplement your curriculum in the first year with outside resources or did you save the outside resources for third year while studying for Step?

4. People say the culture of medicine on the East Coast is a lot more cutthroat than that on the West Coast... do you feel like the quality of clinical education across all hospitals really prioritizes student learning in a non-toxic, non-demeaning manner? I know you mentioned Beth Israel really prioritizing student learning, but is that also true at the other hospitals?

5. Surgery rotation seems long and as someone who is not even remotely interested in surgery, do they cut you some slack on your rotation? Or is it still brutal?

5. Did you move out of Vandy? If so, how is housing in the area? I’ve heard it can be super expensive... any neighborhoods you recommend? Do you need a car for rotations? Or can you rely on public transit?

6. Does rotating at MGH, BWH, and/or BID allow you to serve underserved populations? That is really a priority of mines along with engaging in health equity work and I’m worried the patient populations at these hospitals aren’t as diverse...

Thank you for this!

Based on your observations, do you feel Harvard’s admissions is truly holistic?

Specifically, in terms of GPA/MCAT, do your classmates all have very high stats or was there a wide range ( on the website, it says 519 Mcat and roughly 3.9 gpa). Also, do individuals with lower GPAs or MCATs have a legitimate shot of acceptance provided everything else is stellar?

Thank you for this!

Specifically, in terms of GPA/MCAT, do your classmates all have very high stats or was there a wide range ( on the website, it says 519 Mcat and roughly 3.9 gpa). Also, do individuals with lower GPAs or MCATs have a legitimate shot of acceptance provided everything else is stellar?

Not OP, but you can see the spread for who was accepted on the MSAR. Harvard could easily fill their entire class with 523+ and have a tight 25-75 that looks like 521-528. But they don’t. The reality of holistic admissions is that a very large number of candidates have spotless transcripts, high test scores, AND stellar ECs.

Hi thanks so much for doing this! I’m an admitted Pathways student still very torn about whether or not to attend. I have a few questions:

1. You mentioned that there is more flexibility in your 3rd and 4th years where students go on vacations or do away rotations for example? I’m from CA originally and my entire support system is here so I’m extremely anxious at the idea of setting out on my own and moving my life to Boston. To top it off, HMS has very short breaks (ie no 4 wk summer after MS1... only 1 week!!!). Is it possible to take an extended vacation in your 3rd or 4th year? Can I do aways in CA? Can I conduct research in CA? Ultimately, I would like to do my residency in CA and practice here too so it would be awesome to have some time to go back to CA in my 3rd and/or 4th year.

2. What were your thoughts about the 1 year condensed case based learning curriculum? Do you feel like you were prepared going into the wards? I’m apprehensive that you have to study so much on your own without any faculty direction... and then the quality of your learning must really depend on your small groups right? And I feel like group learning is always hit or miss...

3. How frequently did you have exams during your first year? Did the exams require you to spend a lot of time studying? Did you supplement your curriculum in the first year with outside resources or did you save the outside resources for third year while studying for Step?

4. People say the culture of medicine on the East Coast is a lot more cutthroat than that on the West Coast... do you feel like the quality of clinical education across all hospitals really prioritizes student learning in a non-toxic, non-demeaning manner? I know you mentioned Beth Israel really prioritizing student learning, but is that also true at the other hospitals?

5. Surgery rotation seems long and as someone who is not even remotely interested in surgery, do they cut you some slack on your rotation? Or is it still brutal?

5. Did you move out of Vandy? If so, how is housing in the area? I’ve heard it can be super expensive... any neighborhoods you recommend? Do you need a car for rotations? Or can you rely on public transit?

6. Does rotating at MGH, BWH, and/or BID allow you to serve underserved populations? That is really a priority of mines along with engaging in health equity work and I’m worried the patient populations at these hospitals aren’t as diverse...

1. Yes you can do an extended vacation if that's what you want! There's an elective called Vacation we sign up for. The minimum is to have 3 Harvard-based classes/rotations every 6 months, so that leaves you with 3 months each half year to do aways, research, vacation. However, most students don't take off 3 months for vacation because they're doing research usually, or aways. The one exception is if you intend to match into a highly competitive surgical specialty, i.e. ortho or neurosurg, then you won't be able to vacation since you will need to do ~3 away rotations.

You can definitely do aways in CA, but the politics of aways are complicated. For less competitive specialties, we're advised not to do aways since it only hurts you (it's really hard to shine on aways despite everyone thinking they're the one that will). For more competitive specialties, you need to do aways where you want to match, and if you want to match at UCSF, you shouldn't rotate only at UCLA since then UCSF thinks "why did he rotate at UCLA but claim he wants to match here?" You can circumvent this by doing multiple aways in Cali, but this is something to worry about later. It's a pretty political process for smaller specialties so aways are definitely something to think about before doing.

HMS has an excellent track-record of matching students to California, probably the best besides going to a Cali school. So definitely wouldn't limit you geographically. Last year about 1/4 of the class matched to Cali.

2. My own philosophy is that learning has to be something that you rely on yourself first and foremost for. It's not something you should trust to your profs or peers. The curriculum is very fun and engaging, but due to the PBL nature, you will need to study yourself beyond the class if you want to feel prepared for wards. Class is 8-12:30pm so you have a lot of time outside class... The PBL focuses on more complex concepts and application of concepts so I think its far superior to sitting in lecture. I don't think any med school curriculum, if you only did that, would make you feel completely prepared going onto the wards, if that's something you're looking for.

3. Exams varied by module but generally around one exam per 2 weeks. But each exam covers multiple subjects, since we do multiple subjects in parallel. But we don't finish a subject in 2 weeks, so you will divide the subject amongst 2-3 exams.

4. It really depends on the team you're with, regardless of any institution in the world you're rotating at. I do think at BID specifically there hasn't been a single team that wasn't great. The other hospitals also have many great teachers and teams, but some more hit or miss. I wouldn't really think about this as a factor too much, it's too variable TBH. Classmates are generally not super cut throat on the wards since it's P/F.

5. Surgery rotation is brutal but something everyone has to go through. No way out. Good thing is that since it's P/F you won't have to try as hard and that does go a long way in specialties you don't care for. However, I think it's definitely important to explore all the specialties in depth since you never know if you'll like it or not until you really get into the nitty gritty of it.

6. Not as much but there is a longitudinal clerkship at Cambridge Health Alliance that is primarily underserved populations. It is a lottery to get selected for this (12 spots with about 1/3 of the class entering the lottery).

Ultimately, I think this is how I would simplify your decision:

1) All these micro details matter less than you think once you're in the flow of things.
2) The key curricular details I'd focus on is a) Do I want a 1 year preclinical? b) Do I want P/F (yes 100% you do)?
3) Where do I want to match for residency? By far, if there is ONE specific institution you want to match at, eg UCSF, there is no school that will give you a better chance than that specific school. However, if you're not limited to one school but rather geography (Cali), then certain schools such as HMS will not limit you whatsoever. In fact, I'd recommend HMS since its brand will take you a long way, even more than the Cali brands (perhaps Stanford's brand is similar), and you'll end up in Cali anyways so why not kill 2 birds?

Thank you for this!

100% yes. Ditto @Lucca. A lot of people do have high stats because a lot of top applicants have the stats and ECs, but I don't believe that the stats alone got them through.

Yes, lower GPA MCATs definitely have a shot. The caveat is that what one considers stellar is usually not stellar enough relative to other applicants. Stellar can mean top 10% of EC's, but really to put it into perspective, what stellar means for the top schools is "top 200-1000 ECs" out of 50K applicants.

To put it into perspective, one class may have the following:
6 Rhodes 2 Marshall 8 Fulbright 1 Gates-Cambridge 1 Mitchell
So just from those prestigious fellowships, they've filled about 15 spots out of 135.
Add on 10-20% URMS (this is essentially a top EC ), 5-10% legacies or famous ppl, you're down to 80-90 spots.
Add about 10-15 college athletes, maybe a few professionals, we're down to 70 spots.
Add a dozen for their amazing research meaning first author basic science, high impact pubs, down to ~60 spots.
Add on a dozen for their amazing artistic skills that led them to play in Carnegie Hall etc, Down to 50.

Usually by this time, the remaining 50 are kind of the "lottery" where they're very solid all-around but nothing eye-popping. All of these will have interesting stories, background, excellent interviewing skills, superb stats, etc.

Of course, none of these EC's guarantees anything, but it's the type of stuff that is truly "stellar".

If you have subpar stats, absolutely possible, but you have to keep in mind that you have to be a bit more stellar than someone with higher stats, otherwise if all else equal, why not take the higher stats?

Edit: This is why the cliche follow your passions really hold true if you want to top schools, because doing great in 10 activities doesn't impress anyone here. What impresses them is if you're the best at one thing and really show your passion for it. Unfortunately a lot of it is out of one's control because kids grow up learning how to play X Y Z and have this huge time advantage. So in a sense, it is quite unfair.

That being said, the "easiest" way to really get on this EC level is probably to excel in academics and particularly research because you have SOME control over that. Find the labs that publish frequently, high impact, gives you a lot of independence, your own project, etc. Of course, this means you will have to grind really hard long hours (essentially making up for the hours others spent over 10 years in their childhood LOL, not literally but yea you need to put in more work).

Last edited:
Just a reminder that a “holistic” review doesn’t mean your stats don’t matter...

Thanks so much for doing this!
Two questions: (1) What were your overall thoughts / impressions on the required daily classes? In particular, did you find that it enhanced or inhibited you in time for Step 1?
(2) (If you did rotations) How did you deal with sleep deprivation (e.g. 24, 30 hour calls) on more challenging rotations? Did you 'practice' or just get used to it?

Plenty of 528 and 4.0 that are nothing short of gods.

Thanks so much for doing this!
Two questions: (1) What were your overall thoughts / impressions on the required daily classes? In particular, did you find that it enhanced or inhibited you in time for Step 1?
(2) (If you did rotations) How did you deal with sleep deprivation (e.g. 24, 30 hour calls) on more challenging rotations? Did you 'practice' or just get used to it?
1) The time for daily classes is 8am-12:30pm so there's a lot of outside time to spend however you wish, with most students studying 2-6 hours each day. Nobody that I know of really starts studying hard core for Step 1 during first year though many review related Step 1 material parallel to the course, but if that's what you want to do then there are about 12 hours in a day after class, so it's doable.

2) You just chug coffee and deal with it cause otherwise you're in trouble lol. I guess the fear of being kicked out if you just shut down gets you through.

Plenty of 528 and 4.0 that are nothing short of gods.

I don't think my classmates are on average that much smarter than students at a top 50 school, they just happen to have something unique about them that is usually non-academic. The main difference is they grind more for what they want; more time = more output more often than not. There are certainly a few really smart people though. I'd guess there is no more than a handful of 528/4.0 students in our class.

I don't think my classmates are on average that much smarter than students at a top 50 school, they just happen to have something unique about them that is usually non-academic. The main difference is they grind more for what they want; more time = more output more often than not. There are certainly a few really smart people though. I'd guess there is no more than a handful of 528/4.0 students in our class.

What differentiates the people that you'd consider really smart compared to the average HMS student? Photographic memory?

1. What percent of the class went to a top 30 undergraduate school? (Not just HYPSM)

2. What percent of the class would you say have high stats but just “cookie cutter EC”. (Obviously impressive research, clinical, etc. but nothing exceptional.)?

1. What percent of the class went to a top 30 undergraduate school? (Not just HYPSM)

2. What percent of the class would you say have high stats but just “cookie cutter EC”. (Obviously impressive research, clinical, etc. but nothing exceptional.)?
1) Not sure, would have to go through and count through the whole list of UG institutions and then through UG rankings...my guess is probably at least ~3/4?

2) Perhaps around 1/3? I'm including having high-stats cookie cutter EC app with URM/legacy/Harvard UG/power parent* as "exceptional" since for all intents and purposes that's what it counts as. There are a surprising number of students who are not legacy but their parents are big shots either at a HMS affiliated hospital or Boston academic institutions. Of course this not to say that all people in this category are less "exceptional" by virtue of being legacy etc, but it certainly helps!

• Wow
What differentiates the people that you'd consider really smart compared to the average HMS student? Photographic memory?

Smart means different things for different people. For me it means they grasp difficult concepts very fast/easily, have great but not photographic memory, and most importantly are superb at applying medical concepts to clinical care of non-standard cases. Very few people have a true photographic memory, medicine is more about how much effective effort that you put in. The work-hard, above average intelligence but not super smart kids are the ones who have a good knowledge base but struggle when cases deviate from straightforward or content they haven't learned yet. Or they repeatedly regurgitate material in similar but distinctly different contexts.

One theme that seems to emerge in medicine is that the "smarter" students on the wards have very good verbal skills. Communicating a coherent organized plan reflecting logic and backed with evidence is more difficult than you think and they do it superbly (honestly, better than most residents I see).

Are there students even at HMS who don’t match and have to SOAP? If so, are the admin super helpful in getting the students into a program?

How many people in your class do you think have a doctor has a parent?

Are there students even at HMS who don’t match and have to SOAP? If so, are the admin super helpful in getting the students into a program?
There are rarely students who don't match. Eg this year 2 didn't match into Ortho, 1 ended up in Gen Surg, 1 didn't match at all. It's usually the people who apply into the very competitive specialties and (my guess is) rank extremely aggressively (eg only MGH BWH and nowhere else). Otherwise, people seem to do very well.

1) Not sure, would have to go through and count through the whole list of UG institutions and then through UG rankings...my guess is probably at least ~3/4?

2) Perhaps around 1/3? I'm including having high-stats cookie cutter EC app with URM/legacy/Harvard UG/power parent* as "exceptional" since for all intents and purposes that's what it counts as. There are a surprising number of students who are not legacy but their parents are big shots either at a HMS affiliated hospital or Boston academic institutions. Of course this not to say that all people in this category are less "exceptional" by virtue of being legacy etc, but it certainly helps!

Interesting.

1. So if we were to define “exceptional” as having one of the below characteristics then you would say that only about 1/3 of your class does not contain any of them?

1. URM
2. First generation undergrad
3. Legacy
4. Family has a Connection
5. Family is a Donor
6. Applicant is a Celebrity or has a Celebrity family
7. Rhodes scholar etc
8. Veteran
9. Super Unique accomplishment

2. If you would say that 3/4 of your class attended a top 30 university for undergrad, then: what percent of your class would you say does not fall under any of the above categories as being exceptional AND did not go to a top 30 university for undergrad?

3. I think you get what I’m asking at: If you don’t attend a top 30 undergrad, and your not exceptional in any way (one of the 9 things listed above), do you actually have a solid chance of attending a top 10 school like Harvard for medical school? Is pretty much everyone in your class either from a top tier undergrad, or if not, exceptional in some way?

@LizzyM would appreciate your input as well. I know that you sometimes post that if you have a GPA above 3.9 and a MCAT in the top 2%, as long as you have decent cookie cutter research, teaching, clinical, volunteer, leadership, etc. that you have a solid chance at getting into a top 10 school. Is this true for students who attend any undergrad? Or would you say that this is more true for people who attend a top 30 university for undergrad?

Last edited:
Interesting.

1. So if we were to define “exceptional” as having one of the below characteristics then you would say that only about 1/3 of your class does not contain any of them?

1. URM
3. Legacy
5. Family is a Donor
7. Rhodes scholar etc
8. Veteran

2. If you would say that 3/4 of your class attended a top 30 university for undergrad, then: what percent of your class would you say does not fall under any of the above categories as being exceptional AND did not go to a top 30 university for undergrad?

3. I think you get what I’m asking at: If you don’t attend a top 30 undergrad, and your not exceptional in any way (one of the 9 things listed above), do you actually have a solid chance of attending a top 10 school like Harvard for medical school? Is pretty much everyone in your class either from a top tier undergrad, or if not, exceptional in some way?

@LizzyM would appreciate your input as well.

n = 1 of course... but I did not come from a top 30 undergrad and I would not consider myself exceptional in any way, and I was accepted this cycle. I definitely think you have a solid chance so long as you are able to communicate to Adcom what you’re passionate about in an authentic manner.

Interesting.

1. URM
3. Legacy
5. Family is a Donor
7. Rhodes scholar etc
8. Veteran

@LizzyM would appreciate your input as well. I know that you sometimes post that if you have a GPA above 3.9 and a MCAT in the top 2%, as long as you have decent cookie cutter research, teaching, clinical, volunteer, leadership, etc. that you have a solid chance at getting into a top 10 school. Is this true for students who attend any undergrad? Or would you say that this is more true for people who attend a top 30 university for undergrad?
1) I would also include overcoming "exceptional" life experiences/circumstances. "Super Unique" as you call it does not mean something only you have. I'd call it more exceptional achievement under your given circumstances; if you had really tough circumstances growing up, then what is expected of you is "less". If you're from Alaska, maybe you didn't have as many resources to get a high impact publication as a lead author. If you grew up as a single mother with a dysfunctional family and had to work your way through college, maybe you didn't have the time to volunteer as much. If you don't have exceptional life circumstances or bring some coveted form of diversity, you don't need to be a NFL-level football or world champion chess player, but rather a very high level of achievement (successful on a high college or national scene, but not necessarily champion level). Few things are "truly" unique, I'd consider this http://blogdailyherald.com/2014/02/...franco-16-5-cast-member-abc-familys-vineyard/ among the more unique. Perhaps unique isn't the right word, but it gets tossed around as a surrogate word for exceptional achievement. You would be considered "unique" if you played piano (very common) and played at Carnegie Hall. I guess there are some people who also are defined as unique because of some wacky interest they have, not quite related to achievement but those are really more rare IMO.

2/3) I think a top 10 school is a different game from top ~3. The rankings don't necessarily linearly correspond to how competitive a school is to get into. Taking account the yield of ~80%, if you're the #1 coveted school you basically have your pick of the top 200 students in 50K applicants...

Re the last few posts, also adding:

There are a lot of other factors that adcoms take into account, like geographic diversity. So I think if you come from a lesser known state like South Dakota, it does help a bit and that itself contributes to your "uniqueness". "Uniqueness" can also mean non-standard: if an Asian plays basketball on a high level, that is quite unique because Asians typically don't do that. If a Hispanic applicant played piano exceptionally, that's also atypical. In other words, going against the stereotypes of one's race is another way to be "unique". For better or worse, this seems to be the case. So all the tiger parents forcing their kids to play piano kind of end up hurting their kids in more ways than one...

There's no limit on it, but I think the one common way to assess your "uniqueness" is to ask yourself "How many other people would have X attribute or be able to do X at Y level?"
- Piano player? Tons of people play the piano well, so am I at a clearly exceptional level (not your parents saying you did great, it has to be backed up with awards)?
- Veteran double amputee - This is rare and someone like this pursuing medicine is even rarer

Here's a list of the things of people at our school that stick out and become their "thing", trying to exclude the bigger categories such as URM, H undergrads, big awards, etc.
- Competitive surfer
- Spent whole summer hiking the Appalachian trail solo
- Mushroom hunter
- Professional actor/model
- Pro soccer player
- Double amputee veteran
- Top graduate of airforce academy
- Large Nonprofit founder
- Division 3 football captain
- Firefighter for a decade+
- Silver Star (for saving a life in combat in Afghanistan)
- Person from Alaska, Iowa, etc
- Yearly boston marathon qualifier
- Worked at CDC for 3 years
- Consulted for several top companies eg Bain, McKinsley
- Professional dancer
- Equestrian
- College tennis capt
- Super good looking dude
- Cancer survivor
- Veteran w/ multiple Middle East tours
- Funded an African village with oil paintings of community members
- Really good music, athlete, other stuff
- Perfect MCAT (yea it's rare even here)
- 60+ pubs in NJEM, JAMA, Nature, et al
- Forbes 30 under 30

Of course having that one thing didn't get them in but its the combination of academics, something they're very passionate about and excelled at, and interpersonal skills, and always, a healthy dose of luck.

In the end, there's so many qualified people for medical school, the top schools seem to value as much what you do non-academically as your academics. But again, it's kind of come to the point where admissions becomes more and more ridiculous every year, and your goal shouldn't be to attend X institution, but rather to become the best physician, which is in the end, the ultimate goal. A lot of people who have these exceptional things worked really hard (skipped parties, etc) and sacrificed a lot that you may not appreciate on the surface and would not want to do just to attend X top school...You have to find a happy medium for how much you want to work - you could put in 10,000 hours to become a national level XYZ but does that make you happy? Would you risk your life in combat to save someone? Would you live in Alaska foregoing the city life you know? Always exceptions but seems like majority of people here who excel or have something special did it for the right reasons. Somehow it seems they weeded out the ones who were forced to do it pretty well. Clinical/medical school training doesn't vary that much from School #1 to School #143.

Don't have something extraordinary? You still have a shot, you just have to be a bit better than others at X institution in terms of numbers, interviewing (if you have only cookie-cutter ECs, numbers and can interview like Roger Federer and make people comfortable, then IMO you'd have a great shot of getting in), etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Re the last few posts, also adding:

There are a lot of other factors that adcoms take into account, like geographic diversity. So I think if you come from a lesser known state like South Dakota, it does help a bit and that itself contributes to your "uniqueness". "Uniqueness" can also mean non-standard: if an Asian plays basketball on a high level, that is quite unique because Asians typically don't do that. If a Hispanic applicant played piano exceptionally, that's also atypical. In other words, going against the stereotypes of one's race is another way to be "unique". For better or worse, this seems to be the case. So all the tiger parents forcing their kids to play piano kind of end up hurting their kids in more ways than one...

There's no limit on it, but I think the one common way to assess your "uniqueness" is to ask yourself "How many other people would have X attribute or be able to do X at Y level?"
- Piano player? Tons of people play the piano well, so am I at a clearly exceptional level (not your parents saying you did great, it has to be backed up with awards)?
- Veteran double amputee - This is rare and someone like this pursuing medicine is even rarer

Here's a list of the things of people at our school that stick out and become their "thing", trying to exclude the bigger categories such as URM, H undergrads, big awards, etc.
- Competitive surfer
- Spent whole summer hiking the Appalachian trail solo
- Mushroom hunter
- Professional actor/model
- Pro soccer player
- Double amputee veteran
- Top graduate of airforce academy
- Large Nonprofit founder
- Division 3 football captain
- Firefighter for a decade+
- Silver Star (for saving a life in combat in Afghanistan)
- Person from Alaska, Iowa, etc
- Yearly boston marathon qualifier
- Worked at CDC for 3 years
- Consulted for several top companies eg Bain, McKinsley
- Professional dancer
- Equestrian
- College tennis capt
- Super good looking dude
- Cancer survivor
- Veteran w/ multiple Middle East tours
- Funded an African village with oil paintings of community members
- Really good music, athlete, other stuff
- Perfect MCAT (yea it's rare even here)
- 60+ pubs in NJEM, JAMA, Nature, et al
- Forbes 30 under 30

Of course having that one thing didn't get them in but its the combination of academics, something they're very passionate about and excelled at, and interpersonal skills, and always, a healthy dose of luck.

In the end, there's so many qualified people for medical school, the top schools seem to value as much what you do non-academically as your academics. But again, it's kind of come to the point where admissions becomes more and more ridiculous every year, and your goal shouldn't be to attend X institution, but rather to become the best physician, which is in the end, the ultimate goal. A lot of people who have these exceptional things worked really hard (skipped parties, etc) and sacrificed a lot that you may not appreciate on the surface and would not want to do just to attend X top school...You have to find a happy medium for how much you want to work - you could put in 10,000 hours to become a national level XYZ but does that make you happy? Would you risk your life in combat to save someone? Would you live in Alaska foregoing the city life you know? Always exceptions but seems like majority of people here who excel or have something special did it for the right reasons. Somehow it seems they weeded out the ones who were forced to do it pretty well. Clinical/medical school training doesn't vary that much from School #1 to School #143.

Don't have something extraordinary? You still have a shot, you just have to be a bit better than others at X institution in terms of numbers, interviewing (if you have only cookie-cutter ECs, numbers and can interview like Roger Federer and make people comfortable, then IMO you'd have a great shot of getting in), etc.
@Walter Raleigh get in here.

Last edited:
  • Haha