Harvard Med Student - AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does Harvard really not give out merit scholarships? I mean money that's completely separate from need-based or very niche scholarships (ie. for veterans). I always wonder if they actually do give money under-the-table to convince people who may have full rides elsewhere to go to Harvard.
 
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions!

1. I was wondering if you could offer a little clarification on how P/F during second year works - when I was at revisit, some of the 3rd and 4th years mentioned that it's P/F, but comments from your teams will still go on your residency application that generally indicate what "grade" they would've given you. How exactly does that work? Does it still really feel P/F even with the comments?

2. You mentioned that it's a bit luck of the draw with how good of a team you get on certain rotations. If you've had a less than positive experience with a team, how did you manage that and how did it impact your overall learning experience?
 
Does Harvard really not give out merit scholarships? I mean money that's completely separate from need-based or very niche scholarships (ie. for veterans). I always wonder if they actually do give money under-the-table to convince people who may have full rides elsewhere to go to Harvard.
It's all need-based aid, and if there was under-the-table money then they have a big table cloth because I've never heard of it!

There are different names attached to the financial aid (which is mostly scholarship, part loan), so when someone here says they were awarded the XYZ Scholarship that should read "Aid Based Award that I'm Trying to Make Sound Fancy" Scholarship.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions!

1. I was wondering if you could offer a little clarification on how P/F during second year works - when I was at revisit, some of the 3rd and 4th years mentioned that it's P/F, but comments from your teams will still go on your residency application that generally indicate what "grade" they would've given you. How exactly does that work? Does it still really feel P/F even with the comments?

2. You mentioned that it's a bit luck of the draw with how good of a team you get on certain rotations. If you've had a less than positive experience with a team, how did you manage that and how did it impact your overall learning experience?
1) The transcript grade is P/F but you receive written summative evaluations of your performance. There is no code word in the summatives, so the indication of your "grade" is really whether it sounds great or not. Having read tons of my classmates evals (lot of us share out of curiosity), its essentially impossible to distinguish because every summative is written with so much superlative. One clerkship director put it as basically "It's unfortunate because it doesn't always represent how you do, but if we don't do that then all the other schools do and you'd be at a disadvantage." So rest assured, they have your back - it is in the interest of the school to have you match as well as possible. The only exception to this is if you're among the best your attending has worked with - they will note that then it stands out a bit. It feels P/F depending on who your rotation partner is - if they're chill then yes, if they're not then it feels less so but at the end of the day, it has no real impact.

The key thing here is to make sure to ace your sub-internship as that determines the grade you get (combined departmental summative grade, which they will tell you later, nothing to worry about now).

tdr; it's impossible to have a safer curriculum than here...

2) It sucks and the best you can do is try to be nice as possible to everyone even if you hate them because showing it is only going to make things worse. It's not pleasant but I do believe a good learning experience on dealing with other people - it will happen throughout your career, so might as well get experience handling it now. These teams are rare IMO though. Overall learning-wise, it actually motivated me more to excel clinically lol.
 
Socially, do people not living in Vandy miss out?
I do feel that they do somewhat just because a lot of the events and hanging out occur there, and it can be a hassle to commute there. However, I think this applies less to the people you become really good friends with, more to just getting to know all 135 people (since also during class you're somewhat isolated to your society of 40ish people).
 
What were your ECs like?
The only ones that mattered were national sports champion, winner of one of the big international scholarships, and a first author basic science pub. It seems like a lot but basically everything that you do extremely well paves the road (snowballs) for future things, the scholarship was a result of the other two things, not de novo.
 
How hands-on are your rotations? Do your notes count in the EMR (cosigned by the resident and become the actual patient's note)?
 
Depends on the hospital, but yea at the big affiliated hospitals they passed a new rule last year that allows med student notes that are co-signed to become the actual note.
 
Is everyone really into research? Are there students that attend that don't do research ?
 
Is everyone really into research? Are there students that attend that don't do research ?
A good number of people are, and most have SOME research, but I wouldn't say that everyone has tons of research. From before med school, in my class, perhaps <5 with first author clinical papers, 2 with a first author basic, 1/3 with some low-authorship pub? Having a first author definitely would make you stand out.
 
To add^

Is research a passion of most students? or for most is it just seen as a requirement?
Unfortunately, I get the sense that for most its more of a requirement. It does trigger me when classmates say they're doing it only to match etc because then in front of residency interviewers etc they essentially lie and sing about how much they love it. There are definitely a number who are incredibly passionate about it - and these are usually the ones with the first author pubs and power research profiles since a lot of it is a function of time/effort.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Title says it.

I remember being a premed and having lots of burning questions, only to get a meh answer most of the time. Ask away for the raw, no filter answers!
How does Harvard or other MD schools view taking Harvard or UC extension courses to pull up sGPA from 3.5 to 3.75. I have 519 MCAT. Worried about how it is viewed.
 
How does Harvard or other MD schools view taking Harvard or UC extension courses to pull up sGPA from 3.5 to 3.75. I have 519 MCAT. Worried about how it is viewed.

your GPA is high enough that you don't need to keep padding the GPA. Just a waste of time and money. If the rest of your app is in order, apply as-is.

If you really want to go through the great expense/time investment of padding your sGPA, formal postbacc coursework is better advised.
 
I do feel that they do somewhat just because a lot of the events and hanging out occur there, and it can be a hassle to commute there. However, I think this applies less to the people you become really good friends with, more to just getting to know all 135 people (since also during class you're somewhat isolated to your society of 40ish people).
Do you know how many of your classmates have a spouse/children and how life is in general for HMS students with families?
 
How does Harvard or other MD schools view taking Harvard or UC extension courses to pull up sGPA from 3.5 to 3.75. I have 519 MCAT. Worried about how it is viewed.

If you need to for a post-bac or to finish up reqs then great. GPA is on the low side so without stellar app otherwise, that GPA will hurt a lot at top schools. I wouldn't spend extra year+ to raise the sGPA since any med school will help you become a great doctor, and the chances of getting into top schools is slim for almost everyone.
 
Do you know how many of your classmates have a spouse/children and how life is in general for HMS students with families?
A few do but not very familiar with how they manage it except they are usually not at class party events, and probably not spending as much time on ECs.
 
A few do but not very familiar with how they manage it except they are usually not at class party events, and probably not spending as much time on ECs.
Gotcha, thank you for helping anyway! It is difficult finding info because the pool of Non-trads who do well enough to consider top schools is so low.
 
the pool of Non-trads who do well enough to consider top schools is so low.

This may be true, but I would guess nontraditional students are more likely to have stronger ties to a particular region and be more limited by finances, so are therefore more likely to matriculate at their state schools.
 
Have you ever seen:

  • NASA rocket scientists
  • US Congressmen
  • Knighthood recipients
  • Navy Cross recipients
  • Full tenured professors
  • MacArthur Genius Grant winners
  • North Koreans
  • Paralympic medalists
as classmates at Harvard?
 
@MaxPlancker Thanks for this thread. It's very informative if sobering for us aspiring pre-allos.

I gather from the highlights that you posted that you took at least two, perhaps three gap years?

Is it common for HMS matriculants to have taken at least two gap years?

How would taking three gap years to do additional research (for example, as a postbaccalaureate fellow at NIH) and get more publications be looked upon by HMS?

How do the profiles of Pathways and HST matriculants differ? My impression is that HST is typically for those from engineering backgrounds. Is my impression correct?
 
Not the OP, but more research is always good. It might be better if you did something like Peace Corps or Teach for America, though.
 
1/3 went straight, 1/3 took a year off, 1/3 took two or more years off according to one of our Deans

Three years with publications would likely be looked upon favorably but there is always the risk of not obtaining pubs and that would look odd if you took three years off. The answer is not taking more time off, though a year or two likely turns out beneficial, but rather getting the most out of that time you spend elsewhere.

HST is more research focused and probably slightly more stat focused. I do think there naturally turns out to be more engineers perhaps but I don’t think that is selected for purposefully.

Lastly, I don’t think research is always good. If it’s not your thing, better to spend time on other things and you’ll not only have a better time but also probably be more productive because you are inherently motivated to do it. Most of our class does not have pubs as you might initially imagine.
 
@MaxPlancker Thanks for this thread. It's very informative if sobering for us aspiring pre-allos.

I gather from the highlights that you posted that you took at least two, perhaps three gap years?

Is it common for HMS matriculants to have taken at least two gap years?

How would taking three gap years to do additional research (for example, as a postbaccalaureate fellow at NIH) and get more publications be looked upon by HMS?

How do the profiles of Pathways and HST matriculants differ? My impression is that HST is typically for those from engineering backgrounds. Is my impression correct?
Not OP, but I’ll be starting in August. I personally took 2 years, and gap years are VERY common. Over 100 students (~2/3) in the incoming class are over the age of 23 – we also have 2 33 year old students beginning. Most of the people that I met at Revisit took 1-2 gaps years and worked in some sort of community service (Peace Corps, AmeriCorps), academics (Rhodes, Fulbright, etc), or in research (clinical/basic science).

What you do in your gap year is up to you, just make sure you do something productive and is something you can speak passionately about – this is the most important part. Like @MaxPlancker said, most people don’t have publications. I didn’t even after working 2 years in clinical research.
 
Not OP, but I’ll be starting in August. I personally took 2 years, and gap years are VERY common. Over 100 students (~2/3) in the incoming class are over the age of 23 – we also have 2 33 year old students beginning. Most of the people that I met at Revisit took 1-2 gaps years and worked in some sort of community service (Peace Corps, AmeriCorps), academics (Rhodes, Fulbright, etc), or in research (clinical/basic science).

What you do in your gap year is up to you, just make sure you do something productive and is something you can speak passionately about – this is the most important part. Like @MaxPlancker said, most people don’t have publications. I didn’t even after working 2 years in clinical research.

I get the impression that AmeriCorps - though doing important work -- is more common than Peace Corps, Rhodes, Fulbright, etc. In light of that, how does HMS admissions regard AmeriCorps work?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you express desire (whether during your interview or writing) to do research in med school or as a physician? If so, how important was it that you knew which field or topic of research you wanted to do? Given that Harvard is such a research focused school, no doubt they want applicants to be interested in research. I’m just wondering to what extent do expect us to have thought about it.
 
Did you express desire (whether during your interview or writing) to do research in med school or as a physician? If so, how important was it that you knew which field or topic of research you wanted to do? Given that Harvard is such a research focused school, no doubt they want applicants to be interested in research. I’m just wondering to what extent do expect us to have thought about it.
Not important at all - it's hard to really know even if you've shadowed and worked a lot in X field as a scribe etc, until you really dive into rotations. Most students change their minds multiple times during medical school about their specialties. Schools know this.

As for a general desire to do academic medicine, you need to express what you want to do so that you are 1) genuine 2) come off passionate and 3) your application supports what you're saying.
 
Do you know about the admissions process through the Harvard undergrad house and the HMS student tutors? Does the committee make direct recs to HMS?

I feel like you’d be better off asking your premed advisor or someone else at your undergraduate school familiar with the process.
 
Do you know about the admissions process through the Harvard undergrad house and the HMS student tutors? Does the committee make direct recs to HMS?
I've been a tutor for several years now so I have some insight into this. There are no direct recs to the adcom and the composite letter written by your individual premed tutor is vetted, edited, and proofed by the resident tutor and at least 2 faculty before it is signed off and uploaded - so I wouldn't worry about any bias carrying over.
 
Do you know how many from your class come from Non-HYP ivies like Columbia or UPenn? I'm a high stat applicant (4.0/526) from one of these schools with solid ECs and a few 2nd/3rd author pubs in some mid-impact journals. However, as a traditional ORM applicant, I lack that "wow" factor that you mentioned earlier in the thread. Just tryna gauge my chances lolol.
 
Do you know how many from your class come from Non-HYP ivies like Columbia or UPenn? I'm a high stat applicant (4.0/526) from one of these schools with solid ECs and a few 2nd/3rd author pubs in some mid-impact journals. However, as a traditional ORM applicant, I lack that "wow" factor that you mentioned earlier in the thread. Just tryna gauge my chances lolol.
Related but opposite question: is first generation Army reserves lab tech from podunk U enough of a wow factor? Lol (3.66/3.97/521)
 
Related but opposite question: is first generation Army reserves lab tech from podunk U enough of a wow factor? Lol (3.66/3.97/521)
Being first generation is a wow factor? How are you going about explaining that? Wondering cuz I’m first generation too. And I think I speak for everyone when I say that the usurper of Asgard needs to come back
 
Being first generation is a wow factor? How are you going about explaining that? Wondering cuz I’m first generation too. And I think I speak for everyone when I say that the usurper of Asgard needs to come back
Nah, first generation is not a wow factor in and of itself. My application just kinda throws all the buzzwords out there to see what sticks lol

Although, first generation with high stats is extremely rare (only 112 people are first gen and >520)
 
Do you know how many from your class come from Non-HYP ivies like Columbia or UPenn? I'm a high stat applicant (4.0/526) from one of these schools with solid ECs and a few 2nd/3rd author pubs in some mid-impact journals. However, as a traditional ORM applicant, I lack that "wow" factor that you mentioned earlier in the thread. Just tryna gauge my chances lolol.

This is amazing still! Youll def get in somewhere great haha
 
Do you know how many from your class come from Non-HYP ivies like Columbia or UPenn? I'm a high stat applicant (4.0/526) from one of these schools with solid ECs and a few 2nd/3rd author pubs in some mid-impact journals. However, as a traditional ORM applicant, I lack that "wow" factor that you mentioned earlier in the thread. Just tryna gauge my chances lolol.

So LizzyM = 83 according to the LizzyM calculator ...
 
A question to the OP and any other HMS students lurking on this thread:

How many of you used SDN as a resource prior to applying to medical school and in what ways, if any, did you find SDN to be helpful in your application journey?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nah, first generation is not a wow factor in and of itself. My application just kinda throws all the buzzwords out there to see what sticks lol

Although, first generation with high stats is extremely rare (only 112 people are first gen and >520)

Where do you find data like this?
 
Do you know how many from your class come from Non-HYP ivies like Columbia or UPenn? I'm a high stat applicant (4.0/526) from one of these schools with solid ECs and a few 2nd/3rd author pubs in some mid-impact journals. However, as a traditional ORM applicant, I lack that "wow" factor that you mentioned earlier in the thread. Just tryna gauge my chances lolol.
The past few years, there have been about 70 different institutions represented so there's definitely a good ~1/3 or so coming from schools outside the top 10. Not everyone needs to have a "wow" factor in the strict sense of having won an Olympic medal, there are many ways, including the story and hurdles you've overcome in life.

Related but opposite question: is first generation Army reserves lab tech from podunk U enough of a wow factor? Lol (3.66/3.97/521)
Could be interesting if there's a neat story/theme to your application. Not sure how much standalone value, but there is a recent push to enroll more veterans.
 
A question to the OP and any other HMS students lurking on this thread:

How many of you used SDN as a resource prior to applying to medical school and in what ways, if any, did you find SDN to be helpful in your application journey?

There used to be an interview questions list for a lot of the schools. Other than that, just browsing and accumulating knowledge over time about the process in general helps especially since most pre-med advisors are bad.
 
Where do you find data like this?
520 is 99%, 80,000 test takers a year means 800 >520. First gen only makes up 14% of applicants, meaning 112 first gen >520. It isn’t a wow factor of sorts, but it is rare.