Harvard Medical School Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barsoum.michael

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I've been reading throughout the forum that it is very hard to get into HMS. Im going to be a freshman in college. I know that getting into ANY medical school is good but I want to try for those top tier schools. For those rare few who got an acceptance letter what should I do? How much does the name of the undergrad you went to matter when it comes to applying to HMS? I plan to do cancer or heart research starting soon. I also plan to do many hours of shadowing. I also plan to study for my MCATs starting now along with the science course I am taking now. I also want to get involved with law making when it comes to medicine. I know a few people who did that and went a program pertaining to laws about medicine. I also plan to keep my GPA above a 3.8 and get a high MCAT score. Can you guys give me a rundown of what to do? Thank you so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

It is a bit too early to be shooting for top-tiers much less HMS. Take it one step at a time. Even people with perfect stats are rejected from HMS. For now, just figure out what your passions are.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
school name (unfortunately) does matter despite popular belief on this forum. however, it isn't impossible to get in to an HMS or similar program from a state school.

Reactions: 3 users
@jturkel in what way does it matter? I know that for example if you go to John Hopkins undergrad you have a greater chance at their medical school.

@jturkel in what way does it matter? I know that for example if you go to John Hopkins undergrad you have a greater chance at their medical school.

not sure if THAT specific situation is true. i think wash u, for example, only accepts like 2% of their undergrad applicants to their med school. it is not automatic. coming from a big name/top notch undergrad gives you/your application more credibility when applying to medical school with regards to your abilites/achievements, (even though i don't necessarily mean that someone going to a harvard is better than someone going to a state school). that's just the way it is. and it works that way for medical students applying to residency as well.....dont let the those first, sescond, or third yr medical students tell you otherwise. school name DOES matter in getting top residency interviews

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sorry but I vehemently disagree with the first response to this thread. One step at a time sounds extremely short-sighted. If you're dead set on getting into HMS, the time to prepare is now.

-Develop good study habits,
-Mark up the overlapping content in the MCAT materials you said you plan on buying for later recall
-Take the same Professor and develop a rapport in your introductory classes that are in series (Chances are you won't see the same Professor again as you cycle through very specialized courses later on) for LOR and research opportunity purposes.

Studying hard, making good choices, and bearing an intellect are all typically pieces of the puzzle that equate to getting into medical school. Getting into HMS is an entirely different task altogether. You can possess all of the aforementioned and still get rejected without hesitation. It's going to take an extraordinary effort on your part coupled with a good amount of luck to get in. While it's very hard to gauge what it will take, it is a given (I don't even have to tell you this) that a sterling academic record would be a good starting point.

By no means am I saying to stress over the issue to the point where you cannot focus, but it will be best to chart out NOW what you will need/have to contribute to at least merit consideration. I can't give you the answer to the formula that will get you in, but I can tell you that anything less than the following will diminish your chances exponentially unless you have some extraordinary achievement to bolster your resume: 4.0 GPA, pristine MCAT, countless hours of volunteering/research, and a BA/BS/MS from a top/reputable institution.

Moreover, you don't get into HMS by accident. The school knows damn well that the individuals they admit will go on to matriculate - an issue further compounding admission difficulty. Like I said, if you're dead set on going there have a plan of attack. Anything is possible as your just beginning the journey. Whatever happens at the end will be a result of your culminated efforts starting now.

Last edited:
It's never too early to start. Focus on getting good grades. You want to at the very least have a 3.5 and no C's in your first semester. You ideally want a 3.8+. 3.8+ potential is a must. Trust me, those students getting into HMS with lower grades have 3.8+ grades I'm their upper levels.

Start figuring out what you like and seeing what interests you for extra curriculars.

Start thinking about research. It's required for academic research oriented medical programs. It doesn't have to be biomedical science, although it's preferred. Getting in a lab early is great.

Make time for yourself. Put on FIFA 2014, play basketball, go lift. Do whatever makes you happy.

Never illegally drink alcohol or weed on campus. Go to a friends house of campus.

Don't do anything that falls under the institutional action umbrella.

Manage your relationships well. Don't let a significant other distract you from your work and don't ignore someone that cares about you.

Start shadowing.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello. I've been reading throughout the forum that it is very hard to get into HMS. Im going to be a freshman in college. I know that getting into ANY medical school is good but I want to try for those top tier schools. For those rare few who got an acceptance letter what should I do? How much does the name of the undergrad you went to matter when it comes to applying to HMS? I plan to do cancer or heart research starting soon. I also plan to do many hours of shadowing. I also plan to study for my MCATs starting now along with the science course I am taking now. I also want to get involved with law making when it comes to medicine. I know a few people who did that and went a program pertaining to laws about medicine. I also plan to keep my GPA above a 3.8 and get a high MCAT score. Can you guys give me a rundown of what to do? Thank you so much for your time.
Might as well start studying for the boards now too. ;)

But for real, I agree with the "take it one step at a time" advice. Finding something you're passionate about gives you a good place to start -- you need to stand out if you want to get into HMS... and it's hard to stand out if you're not enjoying what you're doing. Start research ASAP, volunteer, and keep up your grades.

Yes, the name of your undergrad matters. Everything on your application matters to some extent!

Reactions: 2 users
Kids are so cute. Probably will change his mind about premed after chem 1.

Reactions: 14 users

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

meh. organic is the weeding out class

I agree. Your typical SDN premed has already taken General Chem (i.e. AP Chemistry) in high school. Organic Chemistry is when the screws are tightened.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, you need to be a leader in your school/society. Pursue a leadership activity and spearhead some new programs that will make a difference in peoples' lives. Those are the types of things that will make you stand out, because there are a lot of students out there with a 4.0 GPA and 36+ MCATs. Leadership is a MUST. You also need extensive clinical experience, so I would start volunteering at a local hospital early and be consistent with it. You can volunteer in the ER like everybody else, or you can do something somewhat different and get your certification and volunteer as an EMT-B.

Physician shadowing is important, but not something you need extensive experience with. 40 total hours of shadowing various specialties is sufficient. Don't forget to shadow primary care physicians because they are the type of doctors that are in great need in our society, but also shadow 3 or 4 various specialties to get a good taste. This is not something you need to focus too much time on. Get 40-60 hours of experience and be done with it.

As for the MCAT, the hardest section, for many, is the verbal section. If your English comprehension is not naturally great, than I would start reading newspapers and general articles every week. As for the sciences, the best way to prepare right now is to take your general science courses very seriously. You won't need to focus on the specific content until 3-4 months prior to your exam date.

And of course, you need to get straight A's. The easiest way to do that is to be organized, and NEVER fall behind. If you have an exam, you should start studying at least 4 days prior.

You can do a little research on the schools you are applying to in order to get an idea of what they specifically look for in their applicants. That way, you can start early and pursue activities that are geared towards that school's needs. For example, if one of the school's missions is to prepare students to serve in underserved communities as a physician, than go out and teach refugee students or mentor immigrant families. Do whatever experiences you get yourself involved in consistently over the course of several years so that they see your passion and commitment.

Right now, focus on getting straight A's, do research, volunteer, and then later do your physician shadowing and preparing for your MCAT. Again, I can't stress the importance of leadership activities.

Last edited:
Have a GPA of 3.9 and an MCAT of 36+, some research and some neat ECs. That ought to do it.

Reactions: 12 users
You're a freshman in college and you're just now starting to prepare for HMS? Dude, if you haven't been planning since seventh grade, you're boned. Let me tell you about some schools in the Caribbean.

Reactions: 20 users
Have a GPA of 3.9 and an MCAT of 36+, some research and some neat ECs. That ought to do it.
there is no guarantee. i know someone with a 32 who got in and someone with a 40 who didn't. it's a whole package thing, and a LUCK thing. bottom line is, do your best academically and in your areas of interest whatever they may be (clubs, community service, sports, music, etc). be involved...be a leader

My 2 cents.

The biggest pitfall for pre-meds, is ATTRITION. Avoid it at all costs and keep your goals in mind all the time. Your planning should be long term and goal oriented.

Yes, your undergrad institution matters, there is such a concept as "feeder schools". In simple terms, when you deviate from their average matriculant,
your achievements and your story will have to make up the shortfall.

Also, I'm not sure why you have fixated on certain topics for research before you've even gotten there, it's much better to find a research project that can
get you a publication.

Pony up and acquire the MSAR, it's a bit early but it's not too early to know what you're up against.

Let's focus on avg's and not outliers. Having a 32 MCAT, and getting into Harvard is not very realistic, although not impossible.

there is no guarantee. i know someone with a 32 who got in and someone with a 40 who didn't. it's a whole package thing, and a LUCK thing. bottom line is, do your best academically and in your areas of interest whatever they may be (clubs, community service, sports, music, etc). be involved...be a leader

Reactions: 5 users
You're forgetting the curing cancer/poverty/those-moments-when-you-open-the-fridge-and-yogurt-drops-and-spills.

I'd suggest you start by taking your own picture down as your avatar and not using your full name (although the kid is super cute!)

Reactions: 14 users
If your dad has a few hundred million to donate to build the Wing of Zock, that might help.

There are a lot of applicants to HMS with 3.9 GPA, 36+ MCAT, and neat ECs who are not invited to HMS interviews.

Last edited:
With so many qualified applicants with 3.8+ and 36+MCAT, I think most of the tops schools resort to coin flipping.

There are a lot of applicants to HMS with 3.9 GPA, 36+ MCAT, and neat ECs who are not invited to HMS interviews.
There needs to be something special about you. That is why I said leadership extracurriculars are super important. You need to have a big impact in your school/society.

Am I the only one for whom this is reminiscent of the infamously hilarious "Should I Wait To Go To Harvard" thread? :D

The OP from that thread:
I got a 3.5 undergrad, 3.3 grad, 21 and 19 on the Mcat 2 years ago. I want to go to Harvard medical school. Do you think it is worth it to do a post bacc and try to get a 3.9 GPA then take the mcat early next year and then apply to the 2009 cycle @ Harvard. I really want to go to Harvard MED. The past 7 years I just spent to much time working and supporting my family, I didn't realize how much I was hurting my education and my shot at getting into Harvard.

Can any one tell me the things I must do to get into Harvard Med? I'm willing to start over.

After residency, I want to match into Orthopedic surgery and I'm not sure how other schools will prepare me to match into that particular field. I know Harvard has the reputation for being the best.

And the blue ribbon response goes to....
dont listen to anyone on this thread. listen to me. You are willing to start over? so DO IT. drive around your neighbor hood and find the most colorful preschool. enroll yourself. now, dont just be a normal kid, EXCEL in preschool. draw pictures better and faster than any of those ****** infants.

then, get into elementary school. Try to shield your face and hunch when you walk so that people dont get suspicious of your age. once again, EXCEL IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. dont just raise your hand, but KEEP IT RAISED, and if your hand gets tired, do a switcharoo, but drop your hand only AFTER the other one is raised.

during recess, dont just play kickball, BUT PLAY HARD. make sure you kick the ball farther and faster than any other ****** elementary school kid.

if you make it to 3rd grade, pick up an instrument. make sure you are the best.

when you go to middle school. EXCEL IN EVERYTHING. be better, faster, stronger, be all that you can be and all that army motto $hit. during gym class, WORK HARD. during class, WORK HARD. make sure you get A's in geography and pre-algebra (mutiplication can be very tricky). Also, if you can find time to read, make sure you read curious george, roald dahl, charlotte's web, etc etc.

if you make it to high school, make sure you make varsity football as a freshman. By now, all the other idiot kids will have caught up to you physically, so make sure you hit the gym. Also, as a freshman, get a SENIOR girlfriend. everyone will respek you after you hit that. Thats what getting into harvard is all about, RESPEK.

also, take MAD APs and do well in them. take your SAT as a sophmore. Get a 2400. Also, dont forget to become an EAGLE SCOUT. Join lots of club and become president of all the clubs and become varsity football captain as a sophmore. ull have mad RESPEK.

(by now, your balls will probably start to sag, so make sure to wear tighty whities UNDER your boxers so no1 can tell)

Hopefully you have MAD RESPEK, so you can apply to Harvard for undergrad. Make sure you apply early so you get in. After you get in, start volunteering at a Cancer clinic as like a filer or something. Take out their garbage, help the janitor, or something. This connnection will get you a lab research position in college.

At harvard university, double major in Biochemistry and Women's and Gender Studies. This is CRUCIAL because HMS will think you have mad diverse interests and stuff. Dont forget to graduate as a valedictorian and cure cancer. Make sure you get atleast a 44 on your mcats. I recommend getting a 45 just to be safe.

The road is long and hard, but you can do it. :thumbup: I believe in you.

Reactions: 17 users
Am I the only one for whom this is reminiscent of the infamously hilarious "Should I Wait To Go To Harvard" thread? :D

The OP from that thread:

And the blue ribbon response goes to....

Relevant?

With so many qualified applicants with 3.8+ and 36+MCAT, I think most of the tops schools resort to coin flipping.

As a matter of fact, it's a drinking game at that level...

"Alright Molly... you read three more applications and then we all do a shot and pick one of them..."

Relevant?

forever relevant

seriously though to OP, top tier schools take unique individuals who have a story. anybody can get 4.0 and 45mcats, no one can be you.
as corny as it sounds be the best you. thats something nobody else can do better. just have fun. no other time in your lifetime can you have the college experience. best years of your life are now. dont waste them thinking about tomorrow.

Pay careful attention. While nothing in life is guaranteed, if OP wants to be a serious contender for an interview at Harvard, then a 30 MCAT and 3.4 GPA won't cut it.

These things become a lot more clear when you're on the inside looking out, than the outside looking in.

Pay careful attention. While nothing in life is guaranteed, if OP wants to be a serious contender for an interview at Harvard, then a 30 MCAT and 3.4 GPA won't cut it.

These things become a lot more clear when you're on the inside looking out, than the outside looking in.

30 MCAT + 3.4 gpa is tough to swing at for MD schools in general, let alone Harvard.

Reactions: 1 user
not sure if THAT specific situation is true. i think wash u, for example, only accepts like 2% of their undergrad applicants to their med school. it is not automatic. coming from a big name/top notch undergrad gives you/your application more credibility when applying to medical school with regards to your abilites/achievements, (even though i don't necessarily mean that someone going to a harvard is better than someone going to a state school). that's just the way it is. and it works that way for medical students applying to residency as well.....dont let the those first, sescond, or third yr medical students tell you otherwise. school name DOES matter in getting top residency interviews
While undergrad name *may* matter for med school admissions, med school name matters far, far more for residency admissions. A student who attends an elite undergrad, can't stay at the top of the class, and ends up at a low-mid tier med school is at a disadvantage to a student who attends a state uni, excels, and ends up at a top med school. Just sayin'.

30 MCAT + 3.4 gpa is tough to swing at for MD schools in general, let alone Harvard.

Only on SDN. At least half the students who apply with those stats get in, even better if you're an URM.

Source: Table25

Only on SDN. At least half the students who apply with those stats get in, even better if you're an URM.

Source: Table25

Very true. I was definitely looking at the glass half empty there.

While undergrad name *may* matter for med school admissions, med school name matters far, far more for residency admissions. A student who attends an elite undergrad, can't stay at the top of the class, and ends up at a low-mid tier med school is at a disadvantage to a student who attends a state uni, excels, and ends up at a top med school. Just sayin'.

undergrad name DOES matter for med school admissions, but i agree that the name of med school is more important for residency. a student of equal class standing at an elite undergrad vs one at a state uni has an advantage. idk at what point that changes (summa vs magna vs cum laude) but it definitely makes a difference

Let's focus on avg's and not outliers. Having a 32 MCAT, and getting into Harvard is not very realistic, although not impossible.

Another outlier:
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=16779

I think the lesson to learn is that no one can will themselves into an HMS acceptance. It's just too much of a crapshoot. Some people will be normal folks who have applications that really resonate with the admissions committee, and some people will be the William Hwangs of the world. Even knowing as a freshman that you want HMS doesn't mean there is any set path you can get yourself on to nab that spot. OP, you'll be lucky if you get any acceptance to any medical school, statistically speaking.

We actually just had 2 people get into Harvard (one of which being a URM with a < 33 MCAT) from my 3rd tier state school. Odd things happen sometimes. It honestly looks like a crapshoot at the higher levels.
Another outlier:

I think the lesson to learn is that no one can will themselves into an HMS acceptance. It's just too much of a crapshoot. Some people will be normal folks who have applications that really resonate with the admissions committee, and some people will be the William Hwangs of the world. Even knowing as a freshman that you want HMS doesn't mean there is any set path you can get yourself on to nab that spot. OP, you'll be lucky if you get any acceptance to any medical school, statistically speaking.

Another outlier:

Idk if that was URM or not but regardless, that school list is so horrifyingly top heavy for a 3.4/31. The fact that he got into multiple top schools tells me there was something unique/amazing in his app that he didn't disclose on MDapps for privacy reasons.

Point being: if you have a 3.4/31 and haven't done amazing things, don't use his school list because you'll just be wasting money. He got so many interviews that it's very likely that he had something truly impactful that stood out.

Idk if that was URM or not but regardless, that school list is so horrifyingly top heavy for a 3.4/31. The fact that he got into multiple top schools tells me there was something unique/amazing in his app that he didn't disclose on MDapps for privacy reasons.

Point being: if you have a 3.4/31 and haven't done amazing things, don't use his school list because you'll just be wasting money. He got so many interviews that it's very likely that he had something truly impactful that stood out.

I don't know about an extra or amazing ECs he had (he probably had some), but he's an URM. He used to post on sdn.

undergrad name DOES matter for med school admissions, but i agree that the name of med school is more important for residency. a student of equal class standing at an elite undergrad vs one at a state uni has an advantage. idk at what point that changes (summa vs magna vs cum laude) but it definitely makes a difference
Just curious, but do you have any stats to support an absolute statement like that? Not accusatory, I have just been hearing this said a lot lately and am starting to wonder what evidence exists for it.

Just curious, but do you have any stats to support an absolute statement like that? Not accusatory, I have just been hearing this said a lot lately and am starting to wonder what evidence exists for it.
There's been mixed opinions on the topic. @LizzyM has said it matters a bit in the weighting of decisions, while @Goro and @gyngyn (I believe) said their programs were rather impartial to it. That said, LizzyM is an ad-com at a top-10 IIRC, so it would not be surprising to see that an elite school grants an advantage over "lesser" one, as practically everyone applying to her program would have similar top-of-the-line qualifications (3.9/36+ as an example, I'm unsure of the actual numbers)

are you asking with regards to reputation/name of undergrad mattering for med school or for name/reputation mattering for residency?

are you asking with regards to reputation/name of undergrad mattering for med school or for name/reputation mattering for residency?

undergrad name DOES matter for med school admissions

Undergrad reputation, any stats? I know at my med school the adcoms say virtually no weight is placed on it (it is a top tier school if it makes any difference)

Undergrad does matter. Does a Biology major with a 3.6 from the University of New Haven have the same chance as a Biology major with a 3.6 from Yale (another private university just a few miles away)? Even with identical MCATs, the name of the school will give the Yalie a little bump which could be the difference between interview or no interview. Furthermore, the opportunities available for research and other activities is often greater at the more prestigious school and the the pre-med committees are generally more skilled at "packaging" the applicants. Of course, it is not just the reputation of the school but the fact that the admission criteria for some top universities is much more stringent than it is at lower tier schools and so the quality of an applicant who was admitted and matriculated at a top school is assumed compared with someone who attended a less competitive undergrad.

Undergrad does matter. Does a Biology major with a 3.6 from the University of New Haven have the same chance as a Biology major with a 3.6 from Yale (another private university just a few miles away)? Even with identical MCATs, the name of the school will give the Yalie a little bump which could be the difference between interview or no interview. Furthermore, the opportunities available for research and other activities is often greater at the more prestigious school and the the pre-med committees are generally more skilled at "packaging" the applicants. Of course, it is not just the reputation of the school but the fact that the admission criteria for some top universities is much more stringent than it is at lower tier schools and so the quality of an applicant who was admitted and matriculated at a top school is assumed compared with someone who attended a less competitive undergrad.
Thanks! Would you say it only matters at the margin at your school (ie, similar GPA, MCAT, well rounded EC's?), or is this enough to overcome more real disparities >.1 of GPA or >1-2 points on the MCAT?

There's been mixed opinions on the topic. @LizzyM has said it matters a bit in the weighting of decisions, while @Goro and @gyngyn (I believe) said their programs were rather impartial to it. That said, LizzyM is an ad-com at a top-10 IIRC, so it would not be surprising to see that an elite school grants an advantage over "lesser" one, as practically everyone applying to her program would have similar top-of-the-line qualifications (3.9/36+ as an example, I'm unsure of the actual numbers)
In CA, we have an embarrassment of riches. We export more fine applicants than any other state! If we choose to interview applicants from OOS, they need to offer something we don't find in abundance in our own backyard. Applicants with the opportunities to enrich themselves at lofty undergraduate institutions often stand out.

Is it the school, the opportunities, the pre-selection? I don't have an answer. I choose to believe that we are (somewhat) impartial to the prestige effect. If a modest gpa candidate from a well-known grade deflating school is otherwise amazing, there is a tiny bit of wiggle room; grade inflating schools (however prestigious), not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caste system.

Getting into Harvard is more or less a crapshoot but having a solid enough application to warrant interviews at top 20 schools is not. Saying that downplays the amount of work you have to put in to get accepted. Undergrad does matter. For. Real. I know people that went to Podunk U but did Amgen/summer research at UMich/UChi/Harvard etc. So when you see the kid from Fresno State at Harvard they probably did summer research at UCLA, did SMDEP, did some study abroad program etc. Also as I said before grades matter. When looking at outliers you have to understand cGPA is misleading. Top schools don't accept students without 3.8+ level ability. A 3.4 student almost certainly looks like this (3.0, 3.4, 3.7, 3.9) AND the student has to have tough circumstances (working, poverty etc.). Even though the cGPA is low, this student still has that ability. Also, any student without a cGPA 3.8+ and 35+ MCAT almost certainly has a once in a cycle story and history. The biggest mistake anyone can make is thinking that any admitted student to a top 10 medical school doesn't deserve it.