Harvard or UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I am going to get flamed for this post, but I could really use some advice. I have been fortunate in the process, but could use your insight on the pros/cons of each. I would be especially grateful for any advice from current students at the schools -- do you like the curriculum, people, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on getting into these 2 great schools!!! That's awesome...you must be very proud.
I agree that you'll probably get flamed for this. And chances are, the person who will flame you will be someone deciding between Meharry and Drexel.

If I were in your position, I would totally go with Harvard. Then again, I might be biased because I want to desperately leave CA for the east coast. I think Harvard could offer a better education simply because of more research opportunities given the HUGE endowment. In addition, I think Harvard has more linkage programs for 3rd world volunteering, research, etc.

The University of California system is currently suffering budget cuts and the tuition at all UC medical schools is increasing. I recommend Harvard...but you're more likely to get a more accurate view if you ask current med students at these institutions. Best of luck to you!

What a great (and difficult) decision to have to make! I'm choosing between Stanford and Harvard, so I can relate. Are you coming from the Bay Area? I grew up near Boston. Anyway, UCSF was my dream school, but they didn't give me an interview. I would go there over Harvard just to be able to experience a new region of the country. It's not like your career opportunities will be significantly different at either of those fantastic schools. I would base my decision on location alone (unless one or the other is significantly cheaper.) Visit them both and go where you will be happy. Congrats! Oh, and I've said this before, but I beg you not to choose Harvard because it's #1 over UCSF at #3. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE! Good luck! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also in the same shoes.
Unfortunately, the second-look weekend for both schools are exactly on the same weekend.

I decided to go to HMS weekend, because coming from the bay area, I am pretty familiar w/UCSF.

PM me if you want chat.

CY.

ide stay in cali.

what are your priorities? what did you think about the two schools when you interviewed? do you want to come to cali for residency or stay/return to your hometown? there's really no way to advise you without getting more information about what you think is important. One thing I will say though, if you weren't ivy for undergrad you may want to go to Harvard just to get the whole ivy-league experience thing out of your system.