harvard vs harvard med vs duke for research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyoyoyoyolee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For research, if i do about the same amount of work, what would be most favorably looked at? Is university affiliated hospital better than the university itself??????Im dying to know

Members don't see this ad.

These are all great institutions for research. They all bring in a lot of research funding and where you should do research is based more on what you want to do. Harvard's medical campus is about half an hour away from its regular campus - and mostly biomedical research goes on there. You'll have clinically-oriented basic science projects as well as purely clinical projects. If that's your pot of tea, that's where you should be. Harvard's regular campus houses the normal arts and sciences departments. If you want to work on a project that's really on the basic science end of research and want to collaborate with interdisciplinary groups, that's the place to be. In my opinion, no other institution rivals Harvard in terms of research opportunities and funding. Stanford is known to be a research powerhouse, but they have a smaller faculty and just more money per faculty member. I honestly don't know much about Duke research - I don't know which fields they excel at.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It won't matter in terms of prestige. Personally, I would choose whichever pays the most,which lab can get me on a paper the quickest and which lab has the most interesting project.

As someone who is currently sitting at a desk in a lab of the Duke Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, I can contest that research at Duke is as hardcore and productive as anywhere. Essentially this whole section of town is dedicated to the Duke Hospital system and dozens of research buildings.

As someone who is currently sitting at a desk in a lab of the Duke Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, I can contest that research at Duke is as hardcore and productive as anywhere. Essentially this whole section of town is dedicated to the Duke Hospital system and dozens of research buildings.
Yeah, I think some names are the biggest in science overall (cough Harvard cough) but once you have an area of interest in mind, things can change up. Even names not normally high on the list can have certain departments that are amazing, like for example UCSD is up there rivaling Harvard in neurosciences.

As an undergrad just trying to get some introductory research exposure though, OP's concerns should be things like location and $ and how much you like the particular lab/PI. Being concerned with the lab's location at Harvard med vs Harvard college vs Duke is ridiculous, admissions will care what you do in the lab, not where the lab is.

Yeah, I think some names are the biggest in science overall (cough Harvard cough) but once you have an area of interest in mind, things can change up. Even names not normally high on the list can have certain departments that are amazing, like for example UCSD is up there rivaling Harvard in neurosciences.

As an undergrad just trying to get some introductory research exposure though, OP's concerns should be things like location and $ and how much you like the particular lab/PI. Being concerned with the lab's location at Harvard med vs Harvard college vs Duke is ridiculous, admissions will care what you do in the lab, not where the lab is.
I completely agree. I was doing research at my regional state school before coming here for the summer.