Has anyone applied to University of Florida College of Pharmacy???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chase Pharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

Has anyone ever applied to UF College of Pharmacy??? If so, how long did it take to hear back from them? How was the interview process? Did anyone get accepted and decided not to attend??? I heard that the school is extremely hard to get into.

Members don't see this ad.

I am probably on the extreme, but it took them about 7 months from after I submitted the supp (Sept) to getting an interview (Apr). After speaking to some people who are on admissions and just seeing my entering class, they really prefer UF undergrads, which I was not. If you are a UF undergrad, your wait may be much less. Oh, and the interview is easy, if you get an interview, you are pretty much accepted.

Hi everyone!!

Has anyone ever applied to UF College of Pharmacy??? If so, how long did it take to hear back from them? How was the interview process? Did anyone get accepted and decided not to attend??? I heard that the school is extremely hard to get into.

I am probably on the extreme, but it took them about 7 months from after I submitted the supp (Sept) to getting an interview (Apr). After speaking to some people who are on admissions and just seeing my entering class, they really prefer UF undergrads, which I was not. If you are a UF undergrad, your wait may be much less. Oh, and the interview is easy, if you get an interview, you are pretty much accepted.

That's what I am worried about.....:(

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I am worried about.....:(

Don't be discouraged, you never really know what these schools are specifically looking for. If you are like me, without the stellar undergrad gpa, without the related undergrad bachelors, and without the years of pharmacy experience, find what makes you stand out and highlight that all the way from your application, personal statement, to your interview. Does it really matter in the end if it took awhile to get there? Not likely.

The program so far is great, I love it and I have yet to regret my decision to attend. Keep at it! If you have any questions, you can always PM me.

Hi,
I submitted my pharmcas application and UF's supplement app. in late Oct. Last week, I received an email from UF saying my application is complete but it has not been reviewed by the committee as yet. I'm not a UF undergrad and I was just wondering since it's already coming on to the end of the year, whether my chances are still good to get in?

UF loves florida students
doesn't really want out of state
their pcat for out of state is 90-99 and gpa is 3.7+ :/

UF has one group of interviewees notified in the Fall. I was lucky enough to be among that group. My interview is on Jan. 16 though.

UF typically does not begin their second set of interviews until the Spring semester. Using last year as the standard, they should begin notifying applicants January or February and continue into March/April to fill seats as necessary. It is NORMAL if you have not heard from UF yet. The turnaround time is very fast at UF, typically one week after your interview you are notified about your decision.

UF COP does have a bias for UF undergrads, however, as long as you're in Florida your chances are decent. On the otherhand, if you are out of state, enjoy fighting over the 2-3 seats for OOS students.

This is from a student on the admissions committee. (not me) If you did your prereqs at UF, they start to look at you if you have a 3.0 and a 70pcat. If you are a little below a 3.0 and have a superb pcat, they will look at you too. If you are instate, but not from UF, they start at 3.3 gpa and 80 pcat. (this was my bracket, but I am slightly below the 3.3 gpa with a high pcat) Didn't ask about out-of-state, sorry.

I know last year they had a nov or dec interview, but I don't know if that happened this year. If it did, I must have missed them because I haven't seen any interviewees come through campus, just pre-pharms at open house. Most of the interviews are in the spring, so don't worry about not having heard about one yet. And as the previous poster stated, UF is quick to respond after your interview, about 7 days.

I know the state only allows 10% out of state, which is about 30 students per class among all 4 campuses. I have heard through rumors that UF (the university not the college of pharmacy) is starting to accept more out of state due to budget cuts from state funding. Out of state students pay more, I am not sure about the veracity of this rumor or if it also applies to professional schools like pharmacy. Definitely something to look at if you are out-of-state.

Thank you all for your help. I had an interview at Nova Southeastern last Monday. UF is my other choice and I would love to attend there. I was just worried b/c I am not sure whether to retake the pcat. I took it in June for the first time and I got a 73. I have 4.0 gpa and I will be completing my bachelor's by next summer. I never got the chance to study for the pcat b/c at that time I was also taking another class, which heavily occupied my time.
I just wanted to hear something from them so that I would know whether or not to take the pcat again. Is that a competetive score for UF?

Thank you all for your help. I had an interview at Nova Southeastern last Monday. UF is my other choice and I would love to attend there. I was just worried b/c I am not sure whether to retake the pcat. I took it in June for the first time and I got a 73. I have 4.0 gpa and I will be completing my bachelor's by next summer. I never got the chance to study for the pcat b/c at that time I was also taking another class, which heavily occupied my time.
I just wanted to hear something from them so that I would know whether or not to take the pcat again. Is that a competetive score for UF?

Numbers alone, you are very competitive. With a bachelors and a 4.0 gpa, I really don't think retaking the pcat would make a difference.

UF is my top school of choice as well...I've heard that they rely heavily on your GPA and have at least an 80 on the PCAT. My question is:

When you have an interview, do they ask how are you going to pay for college? The reason I ask this is because I have $80,000 for college from the Montgomery GI Bill from the military and I don't have to take out any student loans, I can pay for college up front...Is that something that they would want to hear???

is nova a good school? Is it like florida's mercer?

Yes, Nova is a good school, better known for their graduate and professional programs than undergrad. I almost went there. It is a large program, too, 3 campuses. Well known in south Florida, not as much outside of Florida, unless you are updated on Pharmacy schools. I don't really know what you mean by Florida's Mercer.

UF is my top school of choice as well...I've heard that they rely heavily on your GPA and have at least an 80 on the PCAT. My question is:

When you have an interview, do they ask how are you going to pay for college? The reason I ask this is because I have $80,000 for college from the Montgomery GI Bill from the military and I don't have to take out any student loans, I can pay for college up front...Is that something that they would want to hear???

No questions on how you will finance your education. They have a sheet of questions that they ask everyone. I believe they do this so they can compare you equally with everyone else.

No questions on how you will finance your education. They have a sheet of questions that they ask everyone. I believe they do this so they can compare you equally with everyone else.

Thank you FLPharm2Be!!!!

What pharmacy school are you currently attending and how's everything going for you???

Thank you FLPharm2Be!!!!

What pharmacy school are you currently attending and how's everything going for you???

Glad to help.
Class of 2012, UF-Gainesville and it is going very well. I really like the program.

is nova a good school? Is it like florida's mercer?

Nova is a great school, but not really comparative to Mercer. They still need to develop their national reputation further.

Last edited: