Has anyone been told that they're too intimidating/ effects on interviewers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When Texas Sen. Phil Gramm sought the Republican nomination for president in 1996, he said: "The real question is whether someone as ugly as I am can be elected." Within months, Gramm dropped out of the race

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Fritz
My advice is (from my own experience).
5) don't wear hills that are higher than 2 inches.

Hm. Not wearing hills is a good advice for anyone! ;)

Originally posted by Tofurkey

The other aspect to this equation is that I have several very unique (and unfortunately, extremely intimidating) accomplishments (not pre-med stuff, professional, job-type stuff) that make people very intimidated by themselves. In fact, in addition to the looks intimidation, I get people's intimidated reactions on these particular accomplishments all the time, and thus, I stopped telling people about them about a year ago.

OK, I gotta admit: I'm curious. Like what?

(I promise not to tell you you're an overachiever.)

On an unrelated note, I don't understand why the word "petty" keeps coming up to describe a jealous reaction to a very atrractive person. It's well documented that attractive people make more money, have more success in life, date more ... blah blah blah. Why is it petty to be jealous of such a significant advantage?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by gschl1234
Hm. Not wearing hills is a good advice for anyone! ;)
No... wearing hills are OK, you just wanna keep away from the mountains. Valleys are the best at promoting balanced arches, and riverbeds promote good circulation (or so I'm told), but... ya... just stay away from the mountains.

ok, let me clarify some of the stuff i said. first, that's an excellent point about the type of pretty. when i see someone who looks like anne hathaway/julia robert/classy pretty, i don't think anything about their intelligence. it's the slutty looking ones that i associate with low intelligence. again, i wholly admit it's not right to assume this, but i think i'm right significantly more than not, at least that's been the case in high school and college. i should also note that i make the same assumption about ugly slutty looking girls. so i suppose i need to amend my original statement to say i don't assume pretty girls are dumb, just trashy looking ones.

and i knew some of such girls (ie, trashy looking) from high school, and almost all of them proved my assumptions correct. is it fair for people to think this way? of course not. but watch 10 minutes of elimidate and you'll see why they exist. if trashy looking girls started splitting atoms, the stereotype would change. but every time some silicone-enhanced barbie is on mtv and sounding like she has 3 brain cells, the stereotype gets perpetuated.

Originally posted by Angeliqua
What a sh***y assumption to make! I am not faulting YOU personally, but really - that sucks. Hey, maybe those girls from high school *were* bright...you really cannot judge a book by its cover. This is the same as saying that every ugly person you see is a genius, is this right more than not? What a about handsome guys? Are they not very intelligent? I would never de-accentuate my positive attributes (looks-wise) to appear more intelligent, to me that is totally counter-intuitive.

I am assuming that pretty here=classy, tasteful, well-groomed (think Audrey Hepburn-esque). Not skanky short skirt, cleavage, etc. Correct me if that is not your definition of pretty.

Blah, I hate that this kind of crap gets perpetuated.

I am not attacking you, mlw03, just this kind of thinking in general.

I dont seem to understand what all this fuss about 'beauty' is. And apparently, a few of the posters dont seem to get why they're being blown off.

Here's a simple algorithm: :D

A. Do you look like Halle Berry?
B. OK. If not, do you look like Beyonce?
C. OK. Again! Do you look like Paris Hilton?
D. Naw? Let's try Sophia Marcieux....Alicia keys...Salma Hayek...
Now if have yes to any of the above,
E. Do you wear $10,000 Donna Karan suits to your interview?
F No? Do you wear $5,000 DOnna Karan suits...?
G. No? Do you wear $2,500 Donna Kar.....
F. $1,000 anyone?

If your answers to all the above are no, you aint threatening no one! Please!

Now as to your qualifications that blow people away...

A. Are you European royalty or married to...?
B. Are you middle eatern royalty or married to..?
C. Have you ever worked in the White House? On Downing street? With the UN secretary-general?
D. Do you have an olympic gold medal? Been a Guggenheim fellow? A Ford fellow?
E. Did you help develop a new vaccine? A cure for AIDS? Raise a million bucks for the polio drive in Nigeria, and while at it convince the Muslim clergy and traditional monarchs that polio is good for these kids, hence solving the biggest present diplomatic issue related to health? Save Amina Lawal single handedly?

If the answers to all the above are no, you aint that impressive to make your interviewers quake!

I bet that there are other girls on this forum that are pretty enough to blow any guy off his sucks. I notice that they arent being obnoxious about it. Or may be all two of you are.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All this energy could be better spent worrying about things that will make you better people...Like building the type of karma that Mother Theresa had by the time she died. And if you already are doing this, do it more. How does that go as far as something to worry about?

Originally posted by mosoriire
I dont seem to understand what all this fuss about 'beauty' is. And apparently, a few of the posters dont seem to get why they're being blown off.

Here's a simple algorithm: :D

A. Do you look like Halle Berry?
B. OK. If not, do you look like Beyonce?
C. OK. Again! Do you look like Paris Hilton?
D. Naw? Let's try Sophia Marcieux....Alicia keys...Salma Hayek...
Now if have yes to any of the above,
E. Do you wear $10,000 Donna Karan suits to your interview?
F No? Do you wear $5,000 DOnna Karan suits...?
G. No? Do you wear $2,500 Donna Kar.....
F. $1,000 anyone?

If your answers to all the above are no, you aint threatening no one! Please!

Now as to your qualifications that blow people away...

A. Are you European royalty or married to...?
B. Are you middle eatern royalty or married to..?
C. Have you ever worked in the White House? On Downing street? With the UN secretary-general?
D. Do you have an olympic gold medal? Been a Guggenheim fellow? A Ford fellow?
E. Did you help develop a new vaccine? A cure for AIDS? Raise a million bucks for the polio drive in Nigeria, and while at it convince the Muslim clergy and traditional monarchs that polio is good for these kids, hence solving the biggest present diplomatic issue related to health? Save Amina Lawal single handedly?

If the answers to all the above are no, you aint that impressive to make your interviewers quake!

I bet that there are other girls on this forum that are pretty enough to blow any guy off his sucks. I notice that they arent being obnoxious about it. Or may be all two of you are.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All this energy could be better spent worrying about things that will make you better people...Like building the type of karma that Mother Theresa had by the time she died. And if you already are doing this, do it more. How does that go as far as something to worry about?

:thumbup:
common sense lives!

Ok I think this is one of the most ridiculous threads I have ever read......
First off, if you truly have a quality (intelligence, beauty, etc) I dont see why you need to brag about it and discuss it to such an extent unless you are 1) extremely insecure 2) need attention 3) troll.

Here's an example: One of my family members (who is mixed and very exotic looking) is very beautiful (this just does not come from me but everyone) and she gets complemented on it all the time. However when you talk to her she is the most modest person when it comes to her looks. She always denies the fact that she is so beautiful. I have never once seen her brag or even mention her looks. In addition, her attitude puts everyone that might be intimidated by her looks at ease. Amazingly everytime I comment on her beauty she always responds by a complement and then mentioning how beauty fades within a short time...its only the personality and your charm that lasts! And for your information I have yet to meet anyone (including girls) who get jelous of her.

2)beauty is relative. What is considered extremely beautiful for me might not necessarily be beautiful for you.

3) The fact that you keep mentioning how every girl gets jelous of your 'thin" body sounds to me a bit exagerated. First of all, you are promoting the idea that only rail thin is "beautiful". I personally prefer to be full-figured and more like a woman rather than a pre-pubertal (if that is even a word) girl. I love my curves and I would never want to be "thin". So don't make it look like every girl dies to have that thin body.

4) From your posts it just seems like you are looking either for attention because you keep bringing up the same issue over and over again without listening to the advice of those who repeadetly mention looks are irrelevant to med school.....trust me a woman or a man in their 40's or 50's who has a PhD or an MD would not start drooling or burning in "petty" jeoulesy (based on their sex) upon seeing a beautiful person simply because they have been around the block and their age and wisdom (unless they are either pervs or stuck in high school) would not allow them to perceive you as such. As mentioned before these indivduals who you will interview with are highly intellectual and I do not think that they will be intimidated by much of anything. And as for that 40 year old female....trust me at that stage in life your concern would be your children not jealousy over some 20 year old applicant. These are people who deal with issues of life and death not some superficial matters like looks.

5) There are a lot of girls that I see that are beautiful so its not just you with the "model" looks.....however what makes them so attractive half the time is that they dont keep mentioning their beauty every 2 seconds

6) and Bottom line medical school is about proving yourself and about your merits not looks....therefore, the whole topic of beauty as mentioned before is completely irrelevant. I do agree with people that in general looks help to the extent of first impression but from then on if your personality sux you are screwed.

To the OP, sorry to be harsh but that is just my opinion. I am a female too and yes I do consider myself to my own degree attractive but I dont feel the need to brag about it. In my eyes everyone has their own special beauty and we are all going to get old in the end anyway so that beauty is if anything transient. To be honest with you, you come across as arrogant, shallow, and too stuck up with your own beauty. Everyone including girls love beautiful people and things....i think it might be your attitude that is throwing everyone off. Cause if you were absolutely dead drop gorgeous but modest I would have no problem and if anything in my eyes you will even look more beautiful. So if I were you I would get over myself and start focusing on the real issues concerning acceptance into med school.

You have put my exact thoughts into writing perfectly! I also get the impression that the OP is either a troll or vying for shameless attention. Pleaaze get over yourself and move the **** on. Nobody gives an excrement about your "exotic beauty" you are way to self-absorbed and may *assume* that people are in awe of you NOT. I am in my late thirties and have friends that are drop dead gorgeous, intelligent, and caring and never ever gave their beauty a second thought, to me they are just people. Me thinks that you are not so self-assured and humble...

Originally posted by Disenchanted 1
Ok I think this is one of the most ridiculous threads I have ever read......
First off, if you truly have a quality (intelligence, beauty, etc) I dont see why you need to brag about it and discuss it to such an extent unless you are 1) extremely insecure 2) need attention 3) troll.

:clap: thank you!

note that scenarios 1), 2) and 3) are not mutually exclusive.

wow this thread is a ******ed trainwreck.

if you're intimidated by someone because they're attractive, you're a *****.

if you think that you're intimidating to someone else because you think you're more attractive, you're a *****.

the only person that it would be intimidating to interview would be a large angry person with knives who likes cutting.

if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.

LOL....this is so ridiculous!! I can't believe people are actually sympathizing with her!! give me a damn break....she is obviously a troll.

here goes to you melt--:clap:

I am really disappointed with the posts on this topic today. I was hoping you guys could help me shed some light on a genuine problem I've been having, but instead I get, "she's a troll." I am not a troll--you can see from some of the responses here that other women have experienced the same thing--this is a legitimate problem as it related to potential med school intervierers, particularly student interviewers and particularly female interviewers.

I wouldn't even be bringing this up if I had not experienced these things FIRST HAND when interviewing for lawyer jobs--you'd think female lawyers would be above this since they'd be so "accomplished already" but they are clearly not, as I and many of my law school classmates can attest to. Being given dirty looks when you order dessert and being asked about your weight during a lawyer job lunch interview is clearly inappropriate, and I'm simply trying to ask people on this board what it could be about me that's eliciting such comments on a regular basis.

I have given specific examples of the cruel remarks people have said to me (i.e. the thinness comments), in hopes to get some helpful responses from readers on this board. The reason I posted this question on an anonymous board in the first place is so that I wouldn't have to ask my friends their opinions on this and draw attention to myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't even be bringing this up if I had not experienced these things FIRST HAND when interviewing for lawyer jobs--you'd think female lawyers would be above this since they'd be so "accomplished already" but they are clearly not, as I and many of my law school classmates can attest to. Being given dirty looks when you order dessert and being asked about your weight during a lawyer job lunch interview is clearly inappropriate, and I'm simply trying to ask people on this board what it could be about me that's eliciting such comments on a regular basis.

Your supporting arguments to your supposedly very real problem are all based on your subjective interpretation of the intentions or facial expressions of other people.

I am really disappointed with the posts on this topic today. I was hoping you guys could help me shed some light on a genuine problem I've been having, but instead I get, "she's a troll." I am not a troll--you can see from some of the responses here that other women have experienced the same thing--this is a legitimate problem as it related to potential med school intervierers, particularly student interviewers and particularly female interviewers.

I have given specific examples of the cruel remarks people have said to me (i.e. the thinness comments), in hopes to get some helpful responses from readers on this board. The reason I posted this question on an anonymous board in the first place is so that I wouldn't have to ask my friends their opinions on this and draw attention to myself.

there could be many reasons why they'd comment on your thinness and eating habits so why would you automatically assume they're jealous or intimidated? I know so many people who are thin, beautiful, smart, etc. but don't go around wondering if everyone of the female gender is intimidated/jealous of her looks. Pullease...

Also, I think people tend to overrate their own looks (especially on messageboards).

Tofurkey, I truly don't mean to be snide, but self-desriptions like this are not going to get you a sympathetic or thoughtful response at SDN:
Another aspect of the problem may be that I have a great body and also dress extremely fashionably all the time--once a friend called me a "triple threat"--brains, looks, and great fashion sense.
You end up sounding unpalatably arrogant, though that may not be your intent. For the sake of argument, I'll assume that you're just trying to be honest about your situation and you don't see the point of false modesty on an anonymous forum. So here's what I think is going on:

It's true that beautiful, impeccably dressed women -- especially smart ones -- are intimidating. But that can vanish as soon as the woman in question reveals herself to be friendly, approachable and down-to-earth. Then she becomes (in the eyes of other women anyway) a potential friend rather than a rival.

If your manner is reserved, serious and introverted, however, you may never get the opportunity to reverse that first intimidating impression that you make. Reserve, seriousness and introversion can come across as haughtiness, as coldness, as superiority -- even if you're none of those things. And a beautiful woman who seems haughty would definitely not be high on my list of job candidates -- not because of jealousy, because I might assume that she's horribly conceited and wouldn't be any fun to work with.

So I'd think about that. The woman who asked you about how you stay so thin while eating dessert may have just been trying to be friendly rather than trying to needle you (or maybe she wasn't -- after all, I wasn't there). But in general, even though such questions are less formal than a "professional" interview manner would seem to merit, in my experience woman-to-woman interviews often take on an informal tone -- I just think of it as a way of establishing a bond. That's pretty characteristic of the way woman communicate.

You were also concerned about the effects of your accomplishments. As others have suggested in this thread, many pre-meds and medical students are overachievers. Impressive-sounding experience and credentials are common currency. Your accomplishments (what are they? I'm curious!) really shouldn't be a stumbling block to you in this process -- they'll only enhance your application.

Anyway, best of luck to you in this process. I hope you find it to be less petty than the job market.

Hey I have a solution.....I think you should volunteer to be a crash test dummy and hit your face to the brickwall going at 60 mph....that should definitely fix any intimidation factors in the interview!
And please spare us and stay in law school.

Hi Tofurkey,

I'm also a woman who's been told she's intimidating to others, and I think you should ignore all the idiots who've been posting on this thread telling you you're a troll.

This phenomenon is very real, I've experienced it, and I know it can be upsetting when no one can tell you why you seem intimiditing.

Like you, I also have a nice body and dress really well. My nickname in college was "the model" although that really made me uncomfortable because I try to be unobtrusive. In the same vein, I, myself, have also experienced intitial feelings of jealousy when I see a woman who looks amazingly good. I think it's just female human nature, I guess.

The thing to do would be to do what someone above suggested: just try extra hard to be friendly and approachable. That's what I attempt to do, and I think it works. My particular problem, though, is that a lot of people don't approach me first because they're intimidated. If that's your problem, too, then you have to also work hard to approach them.

I sympathize with you, I really do. People--try to have some respect on this board when someone is posting a sincere question. Would you like people to make snide remarks about your question?

Peace out.

It's true that beautiful, impeccably dressed women -- especially smart ones -- are intimidating. But that can vanish as soon as the woman in question reveals herself to be friendly, approachable and down-to-earth. Then she becomes (in the eyes of other women anyway) a potential friend rather than a rival.

EXACTLY. It's not that women don't like other attractive women. Women don't like women who say things like this...

Another aspect of the problem may be that I have a great body and also dress extremely fashionably all the time--once a friend called me a "triple threat"--brains, looks, and great fashion sense.

What is that??? Who says things like this?? I promise you it won't be your fantastic good looks that will hinder you come interview time.

Yeah, a better way to say this is "I work hard to stay in shape and Jimmy Choo is my "best friend".:laugh:

I don't think you are a troll but are either thinking too much or are insecure for no reason or both.

..... But as for looks, I've unfortunately seen how jealous other females can get of an attractive female, even good friends. Women can get very petty over things like that, such as saying, "man, you've lost weight" to show their disapproval of one's naturally slim and shapely body type. It really sucks--these people's attitudes, and I'm starting to worry about the implications come interview time, which is why I wonder if I should "uglify" and/ or perhaps ask my pre-med advisor point-blank when doing a mock interview what he/she thinks of my overall presentation/ demeanor and going from there.

My past experience with being judged on appearance has been for female interviewers to get quite petty and nasty even--for instance making comments about body type during a business interview lunch--not professional at all.

Thanks,

Tofurkey

:clap: :clap: :clap: well, if what you say is true, I will have no problem getting in and I won't be a threat to anyone. :laugh:

Let me call Mom and Dad and tell them I'm headed to Medschool!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Eraserhead
I don't think you are a troll but are either thinking too much or are insecure for no reason or both.

Okay, *sigh* your answer was nicer.......:p

Maybe Tofurkey and Nemofish can wear "Please don't hate me cause I have a nice body" namebadges (instead of their names) to interviews. :smuggrin: yup, I think that will help.

Wow, I luv modest girls!

I have a feeling that "hotpremed" is back in disguise!! Didn't she also keep posting about her dashing good looks. :idea:

hmmm....non-traditional, business, law school...great accomplishments.

i think you might have the Omarosa affect.....you aren't really 'da bomb' you just think you are. people are not really intimidated by your looks, they are more intimidated by your broad shoulders and scowling demeanor...

Originally posted by cache20033
hmmm....non-traditional, business, law school...great accomplishments.

i think you might have the Omarosa affect.....you aren't really 'da bomb' you just think you are. people are not really intimidated by your looks, they are more intimidated by your broad shoulders and scowling demeanor...

is it just me or is SDN really bitter and jaded lately.

must be the post-waitlist lull.

Originally posted by mlw03
i admit that when i see a pretty girl, one of the first things i assume is that she isn't very intelligent. this is probably because most of the pretty girls from high school weren't very bright.

Weird. When I see a classmate, fellow med student, resident or attending that's attractive, I think, "wow, smart AND attractive!" :)

what's even funnier than miss personality, are the genuine posters (wha happin'?) who've responded with "helpful" comments on what she can do for her big problem. genius. the sympathy is cracking me up. "oh, you're also too beautiful for people to handle. oh, me too. here's what i do..." at least you can channel that empathy into your practice as a doctor. i mean, but only if people aren't so intimidated by your looks that they can't actually look at you. b/c maybe then you can just communicate in writing, like via a giant dry-erase board that you carry from room to room. or by walkie-talkie.

...something about the truest of beauty starting from the inside and working it's way out...

Originally posted by fre****y
what's even funnier than miss personality, are the genuine posters (wha happin'?) who've responded with "helpful" comments on what she can do for her big problem. genius. the sympathy is cracking me up. "oh, you're also too beautiful for people to handle. oh, me too. here's what i do..." at least you can channel that empathy into your practice as a doctor. i mean, but only if people aren't so intimidated by your looks that they can't actually look at you. b/c maybe then you can just communicate in writing, like via a giant dry-erase board that you carry from room to room. or by walkie-talkie.

...something about the truest of beauty starting from the inside and working it's way out...

yeah, but I really think the op thinks this is a legitimate problem. I dunno, maybe we are being too hard on her. :confused: I mean just the other day, Paris...poor, poor child - I break up when I hear this....really brings tears to my eyes.

Anyway, just the other day, Paris Hilton was telling the media how hard it is to be taken seriously because she's rich and (so she thinks) she's beautiful. Poor, poor, Paris. *sniffle.*

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LOL:laugh: :laugh: That's really funny.....as you mentioned what I actually find more humorous than the OP's posts are the people who sympathize...this is really ridiculous:D :laugh:

I won't comment on the physical thing, but in terms of being called "intimidating," I can relate. Most of my friends told me after we became friends that they thought I was intimidating at first. I always think this is funny because I'm really a genuinely nice (and pretty goofy) person once people get to know me, but still, I know where that impression comes from. I'm generally very quiet, especially around people I don't know well. I'm pretty shy in social situations, but I'm vocal and more confident in a classroom, at work, or when I'm leading a group or organization. I think the result is that people see an aloof person who thinks she's too smart or wahtever to talk to people, when really what I am is a reserved person who has to be relaxed enough in a situation to lighten up and start crackin jokes. People tell me to smile more. Strangers do all of the time. It's hard... I'm actually a very happy person, but I feel like a dope walking around smiling all of the time. So, anyway, my only advice is make sure that your kindness, compassion, openness, or whatever good traits you have come across when you do ineract with people, and you'll put them at ease pretty quickly.

in general, i think that most people are not intimidated by good looks alone, particularly interviewers who are much more accomplished and successful than most of us here on the board. i know many extraordinarily beautiful women (and men!) who are warm, kind, genuine AND smart to boot that do not have this problem. you say that you are "reserved" but perhaps others are reading your body language as being standoffish or just plain cold. its possible that you are unintentionally giving off unconscious signals that others interpret as threatening. only ten percent of communication is actually verbal! instead of focusing on your looks, which are an asset, i would work on practicing sincere nonverbal communication. try video taping yourself or chatting it up with randoms at the supermarket. good luck!

Originally posted by Eraserhead
is it just me or is SDN really bitter and jaded lately.

must be the post-waitlist lull.

Not only bitter and jaded but apparently VERY "average" looking too!:laugh: Maybe "average" looking applicants ARE more likely to be put on a waitlist. Does anyone have any data on this?:laugh: :laugh:

As to the "Omarosa affect", looks like the media can't get enough of her (I saw her on the DC local news just the other day). Not bad for as "unattractive, dummy, with a bad attitude".

I think this thread is insignificant. On the brighter side, it's hilarious that this dude's name get's censored whenever someone quotes him.

You guys, obviously the reason Tofurky can't provide a picture or tell us what her incredible accomplishments are is BECAUSE SHE'S PARIS HILTON!

....or a troll.

This is ridiculous; obviously if someone is competing with you for a position (eg fellow med school applicants) they will be jealous. If someone is in a position of authority and judging you--um, no. Definitely not.