has anyone else noticed this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osler Penfield

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friends and I have noticed this for a long time but don't usually voice our opinions in public for the fear of being hated by all our classmates. We have noticed time and time again that the students in the arts are infinitely better looking than the students in hard core science courses. I think it is extremely obvious. For example, I am taking this upper-level microbiology class now and the students are frighteningly ugly. They are clearly well below average looking. But in my History of Roman Architecture class, the students are clearly beautiful (and this theory applies to both males and females), the women dress impeccably, so do the men, and their faces and bodies are very nice. I have noticed this time and time again. Has anyone noticed this? I am sure my friends and I are not the only ones. I would appreciate if some of you could share your theories on why this is so.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would concur. I thinki that prettier people have better things to do with their time than study, therefore they tend to end up in the easier less studying intensive classes. That also explains why, in my opinion, girls in college are less attractive than girls in high school.

You just haven't had class with me! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be a hata jalbrekt :)

You know the Raiders are going all the way :)

You really think that better looking people study less? My micro class was stacked this summer. man, all those PT, PA, pre-meds and nursing students, oh god the nursing students.

I actually started dating a PT major from one of my upper level biochem classes too.(have no idea why my school makes physical therapy students take a 400 level biochem course though)

I'd hate to think that i'm one of the ugly ones. !! j/k ;)

actually at my school, since it's so science and engineering oriented....quite a lot of good-looking people are in the sciences...and engineering. A lot of really handsome guys in engineering, but stunning girls in sciences (and social sciences). The ones in arts actually tend to be the not-so-great ones, especially the hoity-toity theater majors (not knocking theater majors, but man, they're annoying). Some good-looking people in the business school too. Keep in mind however, that I go to a school of socially inept nerds so the good-looking population is rather small.

Oh yeah at Arizona there are definitely better looking people in the Arts and Business than in the Sciences. I don't know why I capitalized all of those. Oh well. Anyway, I was a microbiology and veterinary science double major with a minor in chemistry, and there was never more than one hot guy or really pretty girl in anything above the 100-level sciences. I took a 400-level history class my last semester and I never missed a class because of all the wonderful eye candy. And aside from the fewer "beautiful people" in the sciences, a lot of the people just don't take care of themselves. There was a guy in several of my micro classes that had those mutton chop things growing ont he sides of his face, and I think he wore the same shirt every day for the entire year. A lot of the girls in my classes looks kinda frumpy and the guys in general... We just won't go there.

but it's not true about the less beautiful people studying more than the beautiful people. Mutton chop boy was my lab partner for one section of the lab and caused our group to fail a group lab report because he didn't do his share. And one of the really hot guys in the class did nothing but study. I guess it probably depends on the person.

I have to disagree. There are quite a few cute girls in my class... oh gawd... I'm attracted to my classmates

Originally posted by jase133:
•I have to disagree. There are quite a few cute girls in my class... oh gawd... I'm attracted to my classmates•••

Yea..but that's in Canada..everything is screwy in Canada!

:p :p

Here's my sad story: Calc today, and there was all guys but 2 girls. Neither attractive at all. The guys, save a couple, were the typical nerdy sci-fi, freaks. Maybe this should tell me something about me being in there? I don't really hang out with people at school anyway. I work, go to class, and spend time with my wife and best friend. And I'm a hottie!

I gotta say at my school beautiful girls are just swarming around. It's amazing. they are some of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen. In fact, there are usually about 3-10 great looking girls in my science classes (40-150 people). Maybe its a florida thing? 10 months out of the year girls can wear skimmpy clothes :)

I think there's ugly people everywhere, at least everywhere I go. ;)

And speaking of going, this thread is going to the Lounge.