Has anyone ever taken

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
instrumental analysis and/or physical chem?

Im taking them this semester and am wondering what to expect...although i've heard some bad things about p-chem and am a bit scared :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

vixen said:

Im taking them this semester and am wondering what to expect...although i've heard some bad things about p-chem and am a bit scared :scared:

Hey Chica- Haven't seen you here in a log time. Anyway, my girlfriend took them both last semester in her Master's program. P. Chem was all calculus and Intrumental Analysis was a lot of work. I'll talk to you more and PM you with more info if you want.

if you have time, i'd love a PM about them...

im taking them for my masters too

it was a long hiatus, but i think ill be back to sdn for a bit :D

Members don't see this ad :)
vixen said:

My fiance graduated last year with a degree in chem and now he is working on his master's in p-chem. From what I understand here at our school (smaller state school), instrumental anal wasn't so bad, but p-chem was horrible.

The lady that teaches here is a mathematical genius and puts them through a lot...I'd say it depends on the school and the teacher, but p-chem is just a very hard class.

I was once told though that you should really know the basic principles of Gen Chem to do well....most people forget the basics by 4 years later. I'd say give it a shot and work hard...don't ever not do something b/c you are scared!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!

I did both last semester (actually pchem part 2 and instrumental analysis), not bad. Instrumental, especially if it has a lab, is just a lot of work, but not hard. Pchem stinks depending on the teacher.

I *liked* P-chem. It does help, however, if your math background is VERY strong. I'm a math major (actually after PChem I fell into a double major with chemistry, too), and I was about the only one that didn't have problems with the math stuff in P-Chem. Through Calc III is, I think, the bare minimum. Complex Variables is EXTREMELY helpful. Especially in P-Chem II.

The one thing I wish we spent more time on was group theory to predict spectral analysis. We didn't get to group theory until late in the course and didn't have time for that.

Don't be scared of P-Chem. It explains a lot of stuff, and was actually rather fun. Especially symmetry groups. :)

ShyRem said:
I *liked* P-chem.

I applaud you!

I hated p-chem. Out of all my chem courses that was by far the most....well you get my drift.