Has anyone ever withdrawn an acceptance from a school and later asked them to take you back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SchwiftyMD

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this happening: an applicant withdraws an acceptance from school A and picks school B instead, then changes their mind, and asks school A to take them back/re-open their file

What if the applicant changes their mind due to a special circumstance?

Or if you're an adcom, has this ever happened at your institution? Is it case-by-case?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard of this happening: an applicant withdraws an acceptance from school A and picks school B instead, then changes their mind, and asks school A to take them back/re-open their file

Or if you're an adcom, has this ever happened at your institution? Is it case-by-case?
Never heard of this, but I guess I can see it happening if there are special circumstances.

Something like, oh you originally would have preferred that school, but chose a different school because it's in the city where your SO works. But your SO now has a job offer at a place near the school you prefer but withdrew from and you would rather go there. At least in that situation I don't think it would look ridiculous to ask a school if they still have a spot available for you as your situation has changed.

But chances are they probably gave that spot away already to someone on the waitlist. If the school is nice they can offer you a spot on the waitlist and you can hope for the best.

I vaguely remember some SDNer reporting that this happened with them.

Never has happened at my school, and we'd be pretty harsh on anyone who did this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I vaguely remember some SDNer reporting that this happened with them.

Never has happened at my school, and we'd be pretty harsh on anyone who did this.
Do you remember what the outcome was for them? I tried to search for a post like this on here but couldn't. What do you think your school would do that is harsh--blacklist?

Do you remember what the outcome was for them? I tried to search for a post like this on here but couldn't. What do you think your school would do that is harsh--blacklist?
If my memory is correct, that SDNer had a good outcome.

My school would not reverse the rejection. We're more in the camp of "you made your bed, now you lie in it." If some family or health emergency cause the person to withdraw, that's what deferrals are for.

Lol I wish the answer to this question was that there were no take-backsies. Still concerned with my decision and everyday forcing myself not the email the dean of the school I turned down to ask if I can change my mind.

If you regret your decision wouldn't it be better to email the dean sooner rather than later? (While things are still in flux and class rosters aren't completely set anywhere yet).

If you regret your decision wouldn't it be better to email the dean sooner rather than later? (While things are still in flux and class rosters aren't completely set anywhere yet).
I think (read: hope) it’s just “what-ifs” from having to make a tough decision.

I have the same thoughts! But in the end I know I picked how I picked for the right reasons and I'll be okay long-term.

if you're an adcom, has this ever happened at your institution? Is it case-by-case?
This hasn't happened at my school. I recall hearing of only one instance where this happened elsewhere, and the supplicant ultimately attended that school.

If you ask, what's the worst that can happen? They might say No. But what if they don't?

Just ask. The worst they can say us no. Not a big deal imo.