Has anyone moved to get into school & been successful?!

Started by charoldy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

charoldy

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just curious if anyone had tales of moving to a particular state to obtain residency, so as to increase their chances of getting into a particular school. Did you have success in getting in? Any horror stories?

It's something that I'm considering, but moving would entail "starting over" so to speak...like finding a new job, finding new vets to work with, etc...
 
i didn't move to lafayette, in, to go to vet school; i moved here to get my phd. getting residency here was a real pain, though, despite the fact that i own a home here, am registered to vote here, have my license plates and DL here. my residency was still rejected because i was either to be 'married' to someone working here for a year (it didn't matter that i'd been here two years with a boyfriend and both of our names are on the lease--you must be religiously bound in indiana) or take a year off of school full-time to work (which i did, at a veterinary clinic). it depends on where you're moving. supposedly ohio and elsewhere have better policies. purdue is a nightmare. wow. i complain a lot about purdue. 😎
 
great thread
especially being from a state with no vet schools or contact spots, i am very interested to know!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know someone who moved here to NC to attend NCSU instate, and she got in. I know a bunch of people who have moved here for the same reason, they're finishing up their pre-reqs and are going to apply soon. I think it's a fairly common occurance here in NC, people move here after undergrad and either work for a few years and apply, or just establish residency and apply.
 
the woman who showed me around davis campus was from seattle and moved to cali to get residence, and she got into davis...
 
thanks for all the stories, everyone! One of the vets that I shadow applied in 2 cycles and got didn't get into any schools until her 3rd round of applications, when she switched residencies and got into the state school. But this was also 8-10 years ago.
 
I know a vet who decided Davis was the school for him, and moved to CA in order to get residency before applying to Davis. I think he did all his prereqs here and worked, and then applied in-state. Given the near-zero chance of getting in to Davis out of state, I guess it would be a good strategy if you know that's where you want to go.
 
One of the vets I work with moved to ohio to get and was then accepted at Ohio State. So it can be done!