Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied:
33, Non-Binary, NJ/USA, Non-traditional, first-time applicant
Applied: Ohio State, Minnesota, CSU, Washington State, Cornell, Oregon State, Virginia-Maryland, Wisconsin, UGA, UPenn, Tufts, Rowan
Interview Invites: Ohio State, Minnesota, Virginia-Maryland, UPenn
--
Waiting to hear: None
Withdrew App: Tufts, UGA, Rowan
Waitlisted: CSU (Withdrew)
Accepted: Oregon State, WSU, Minnesota, Ohio State, UPenn, Wisconsin, Virginia-Maryland, Cornell
Attending: The University of Minnesota!!!!!
--
Overall GPA: 3.98
Science Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
Last 45 GPA: 4.0
GRE (Q/V/W): N/A
Degree(s): BA in Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies with Minor in History (2012)
**Completed ALL science prerequisites at either local community college or UC Berkeley Extension (upper-level biomedical courses and biochemistry).
Veterinary Experience: ~1650 hours at time of application, ~2200 for Wisconsin/Rowan (growth in SA specialty and SA oncology experience)
Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
I think my written aspects of my application were likely the strongest; I am a lifelong writer and absolutely love to write, so I leaned into this to try and create impactful essays. I had mentors, friends, and family review my personal statement and explanation statement.
Themes of my application, essays, and statements were:
For me, this was years in the making and I leaned HEAVILY on the help of others and did a ton of research ahead of time to try to perfect my school list; I also reached out to schools for help on application focus, prerequisite coursework/planning, and general application tips - this was immensely helpful. If anyone has any questions about non-traditional application stuff, or needs a second set of eyes on your writing, I'm always just a DM away!
A big weakness of my application was my prerequisites – I still had upwards of five remaining for some schools. Pre-application, I spent a lot of time talking with schools and figuring out where their “line” was for prerequisites, and if they had a hard line that would affect my application. Schools with strict prerequisite guidelines that were not reasonably attainable or flexible (e.g., UCD, NCSU, MSU) were removed from my application list. So, I think my success this year can be largely attributed to the considerable research I did in the years leading up to my application. This not only allowed me to find the “perfect” schools for my strengths and personality, but also eliminate schools that were unlikely to accept me due to different aspects of my application.
33, Non-Binary, NJ/USA, Non-traditional, first-time applicant
Applied: Ohio State, Minnesota, CSU, Washington State, Cornell, Oregon State, Virginia-Maryland, Wisconsin, UGA, UPenn, Tufts, Rowan
Interview Invites: Ohio State, Minnesota, Virginia-Maryland, UPenn
--
Waiting to hear: None
Withdrew App: Tufts, UGA, Rowan
Waitlisted: CSU (Withdrew)
Accepted: Oregon State, WSU, Minnesota, Ohio State, UPenn, Wisconsin, Virginia-Maryland, Cornell
Attending: The University of Minnesota!!!!!
--
Overall GPA: 3.98
Science Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
Last 45 GPA: 4.0
GRE (Q/V/W): N/A
Degree(s): BA in Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies with Minor in History (2012)
**Completed ALL science prerequisites at either local community college or UC Berkeley Extension (upper-level biomedical courses and biochemistry).
Veterinary Experience: ~1650 hours at time of application, ~2200 for Wisconsin/Rowan (growth in SA specialty and SA oncology experience)
- 850+ SA GP, private practice
- 100+ SA Specialty, including ER, IM, ICU, and Diagnostic Imaging
- ~200 SA oncology, including paid and unpaid work (FACC shadowing externship, medical oncology VA now in private practice)
- ~450 wildlife pro bono veterinary work with heavy focus on Virginia opossums
- Virginia opossums: multifaceted work for a rehabilitation facility
- SA/Exotic Rescues: rescue, fostering, and adoption of animals from Facebook ads
- Zoo: some private zoo tours/ experiences
- Left off all personal pets, but talked about them in essays
- Education/Public Health: Five years of paid, full-time work experience as researcher in a large, urban school district, including strong experience and published works in the following:
- Public Health/Nutrition Education
- Homelessness
- Head of in-house IRB
- Early Literacy
- School Supports
- Archaeology: Three years paid, part-time Research Assistant working with data from the Stanford Skourta Plain Project (Ancient Greece)
- Education/Public Health: program manager, hiring manager, lead of outreach/writing initiatives while at school district job
- Art/Business: five years as a small business owner and artist creating client projects/collaborations
- Service Industry: jobs in retail and as a barista
- Writing: Freelance work
- TA in Classics in undergrad
- Resident Assistant in undergrad
- Education/Therapy Dog: ~1,000 hours over five years as a therapy dog team at a local elementary school
- Animal Rescue: ~600 hours through my art business, raising over $25,000 for animal rescues
- Art Workshops: Through my business, created and led free art-based workshops that focused on addressing grief
- Literacy: reading buddy while at school district job
- Soccer throughout youth and also play currently on several indoor/outdoor co-ed and women's teams
- Student advocacy groups while in undergrad
- Began learning and playing violin in last two years
- First, second, and third author on several works, published as second author on AERA poster/presentation
- Didn't count hours for hobbies, but heavily discussed hobbies including reading, writing poetry, gardening, violin, travel, and painting when able
- 2 GP veterinarians, had known each for at least one year
- 1 science (O-Chem) professor from community college
- 1 Classics professor from undergrad with whom I have a strong relationship
- 1 PhD colleague/director from time at large urban school district
- 1 supervisor from therapy dog work in elementary school
Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
I think my written aspects of my application were likely the strongest; I am a lifelong writer and absolutely love to write, so I leaned into this to try and create impactful essays. I had mentors, friends, and family review my personal statement and explanation statement.
Themes of my application, essays, and statements were:
- Connection: my soul dog Indy, who was diagnosed with Addison's disease and later a very rare cancer, and how I have learned from her loss and applied it to beloved patients; she and I were a working therapy team for five years, and her loss rearranged my life
- Oncology: leaned into my deep passion for this specialty, including not only why I love the science of it, but also why its humanity is so attractive to me; explored themes of grief, collective support, and why this speaks to me specifically; talked very specifically about my goals
- Research: tying into my past, present, and future, discussed my love of research and how it can inform practice
- Community action and support: experiences in a high-needs, low-income urban school district and what it has taught me about diversity, inclusion, equity, and medicine
- Grief and Compassionate Care: discussed disenfranchised grief within the veterinary world, my desire to provide compassionate, honest, end-of-life care
- Independent Learning/Curiosity: heavily discussed my years of special interest/reading in veterinary medicine and how it helped prepare me for in-clinic work and coursework
- Therapy dog work: connection with children and the lessons that all the kiddos I love have taught me
- Disability/Neurodivergence: discussed my late-diagnosis of autism and how it led me to finally embrace my true self, including the more scientific aspects of my interests, which led to me finally pursuing veterinary medicine
For me, this was years in the making and I leaned HEAVILY on the help of others and did a ton of research ahead of time to try to perfect my school list; I also reached out to schools for help on application focus, prerequisite coursework/planning, and general application tips - this was immensely helpful. If anyone has any questions about non-traditional application stuff, or needs a second set of eyes on your writing, I'm always just a DM away!
A big weakness of my application was my prerequisites – I still had upwards of five remaining for some schools. Pre-application, I spent a lot of time talking with schools and figuring out where their “line” was for prerequisites, and if they had a hard line that would affect my application. Schools with strict prerequisite guidelines that were not reasonably attainable or flexible (e.g., UCD, NCSU, MSU) were removed from my application list. So, I think my success this year can be largely attributed to the considerable research I did in the years leading up to my application. This not only allowed me to find the “perfect” schools for my strengths and personality, but also eliminate schools that were unlikely to accept me due to different aspects of my application.
Last edited: