Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
21, F, VA, Traditional, First time applicant.
Applied: VMCVM, NCSU, Illinois, Purdue, Cornell, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia
Rejected (before interview/doesn't interview): Cornell, Illinois, NCSU, Georgia
Interview Invites: VMCVM, Purdue, UF, Tennessee
Waitlisted: Purdue
Accepted: UF, VMCVM, Tennessee
Attending: VMCVM, go Hokies!!! 🧡❤️
Overall GPA: 3.97
science GPA: 4.00
last 45: 4.00
Degree(s): Spring 2025 - B.S. Chemistry with a concentration in biochemistry, minor in biology
Note: I think my major being Chemistry helped me stand out. I had interviewers ask why I choose it, and I was able to talk about how my major makes me a good problem solver/critical thinker.
Veterinary Experience:
- Small animal GP assistant ~200 hours
- Small animal Urgent Care assistant ~1000 hours
- Assistant at small animal free clinic ~25 hours
- Shadowing a lab animal vet (exotics) ~100 hours
- Shadowing at an equine hospital ~50 hours
- Small animal ER assistant (not on application, but talked about in interviews!) ~150 hours
Animal Experience:
- Kennel Assistant at small animal GP ~400 hours
- Yard Assistant at a Doggy Daycare ~100 hours
- Shelter Volunteer at local SPCA ~25 hours
- Zoo Intern in the herpetology department ~135 hours
Research Experience:
- Presented a poster of a paper I wrote at a large national conference - Paper was about how pet insurance can change/improve the vet-client-patient relationship. Never published it, just presented!!! ~8 hours presenting, ~50 hours of research
- Volunteer research assistant for a biology lab focused on the genetic development of plants - I mostly just worked on plant upkeep ~10 hours
- Directed study under my biochem professor (not on application, but talked about in interviews!) ~50 hours
Awards/scholarships:
- Local merit scholarship from my high school
- Dean's scholarship at my university
- Endowed honors merit scholarship
- ACS organic chemistry Student Award
- A bunch of awards from science fair in HS
Extracurriculars:
- President of my HS environmental club
- Honors College at my university
- Honors Student Board service chair (Spring 2022 - Spring 2024)
--- Bunch of volunteer hours through my service chair position: Sponsored Red Cross blood drive a few times, helped make blankets & build furniture for those in need, organized and volunteered at local 10k/marathon races = totals ~200 hours
- Honors Student Board President (Fall 2025 - present)
- Genetics Teaching Laboratory Preceptor (Spring 2024 - Fall 2024)
- LGBTQ STEM org Treasurer (Fall 2022 - present)
- Pre-vet club member (Spring 2023 - present)
- Dean's list (all years)
- Various awards in 5k/10k races
Employment (non-veterinary):
- Lifeguard & Pool supervisor in HS ~1540 hours
- Barista in HS ~100 hours
- Algebra TA ~200 hours
LORs:
- DVM: lab animal veterinarian I shadowed
- DVM: urgent care veterinarian I worked with
- Employer: Manager (LVT) at urgent care clinic
- Professor: Biochemistry (PhD), taught me biochem 1 and 2, did research for him too
Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
PS: Wrote about how each of my veterinary experiences connects to my development as a well-rounded professional. Focused on the human interactions I've had while working in vet med, and how I want to help people through my work helping animals. Story based with multiple small stories about my experiences. Had close friends read it, including a current medical student and a english graduate student who helped me edit.
Applied: VMCVM, NCSU, Illinois, Purdue, Cornell, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia
Rejected (before interview/doesn't interview): Cornell, Illinois, NCSU, Georgia
Interview Invites: VMCVM, Purdue, UF, Tennessee
Waitlisted: Purdue
Accepted: UF, VMCVM, Tennessee
Attending: VMCVM, go Hokies!!! 🧡❤️
Overall GPA: 3.97
science GPA: 4.00
last 45: 4.00
Degree(s): Spring 2025 - B.S. Chemistry with a concentration in biochemistry, minor in biology
Note: I think my major being Chemistry helped me stand out. I had interviewers ask why I choose it, and I was able to talk about how my major makes me a good problem solver/critical thinker.
Veterinary Experience:
- Small animal GP assistant ~200 hours
- Small animal Urgent Care assistant ~1000 hours
- Assistant at small animal free clinic ~25 hours
- Shadowing a lab animal vet (exotics) ~100 hours
- Shadowing at an equine hospital ~50 hours
- Small animal ER assistant (not on application, but talked about in interviews!) ~150 hours
Animal Experience:
- Kennel Assistant at small animal GP ~400 hours
- Yard Assistant at a Doggy Daycare ~100 hours
- Shelter Volunteer at local SPCA ~25 hours
- Zoo Intern in the herpetology department ~135 hours
Research Experience:
- Presented a poster of a paper I wrote at a large national conference - Paper was about how pet insurance can change/improve the vet-client-patient relationship. Never published it, just presented!!! ~8 hours presenting, ~50 hours of research
- Volunteer research assistant for a biology lab focused on the genetic development of plants - I mostly just worked on plant upkeep ~10 hours
- Directed study under my biochem professor (not on application, but talked about in interviews!) ~50 hours
Awards/scholarships:
- Local merit scholarship from my high school
- Dean's scholarship at my university
- Endowed honors merit scholarship
- ACS organic chemistry Student Award
- A bunch of awards from science fair in HS
Extracurriculars:
- President of my HS environmental club
- Honors College at my university
- Honors Student Board service chair (Spring 2022 - Spring 2024)
--- Bunch of volunteer hours through my service chair position: Sponsored Red Cross blood drive a few times, helped make blankets & build furniture for those in need, organized and volunteered at local 10k/marathon races = totals ~200 hours
- Honors Student Board President (Fall 2025 - present)
- Genetics Teaching Laboratory Preceptor (Spring 2024 - Fall 2024)
- LGBTQ STEM org Treasurer (Fall 2022 - present)
- Pre-vet club member (Spring 2023 - present)
- Dean's list (all years)
- Various awards in 5k/10k races
Employment (non-veterinary):
- Lifeguard & Pool supervisor in HS ~1540 hours
- Barista in HS ~100 hours
- Algebra TA ~200 hours
LORs:
- DVM: lab animal veterinarian I shadowed
- DVM: urgent care veterinarian I worked with
- Employer: Manager (LVT) at urgent care clinic
- Professor: Biochemistry (PhD), taught me biochem 1 and 2, did research for him too
Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
PS: Wrote about how each of my veterinary experiences connects to my development as a well-rounded professional. Focused on the human interactions I've had while working in vet med, and how I want to help people through my work helping animals. Story based with multiple small stories about my experiences. Had close friends read it, including a current medical student and a english graduate student who helped me edit.
Last edited: