Has anyone received an interview invitation at DCG with a lower-than-average GPA (e.g., 3.41)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAtoPharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying to the DCG's DMD program in GA, but according to the applicant/matriculant statistics posted on their website, they had a very competitive admissions cycle last year (the average accepted GPA was a 3.63 cumulative, 3.5 science). Unfortunately, my cumulative GPA is only a 3.419, and my science GPA is somewhere in the range of 3.2-3.3.

So I'm just curious -- has anyone else received an invitation to interview at the DCG, despite having significantly lower than average stats? If someone has a higher than average DAT score, do they consider that to help make up for a lower GPA? I'm just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and plan on doing a post-bac in order to be competitive.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the average mean some people will have higher stats and some will have lower stats. i'm sure people with lower than the average stats get interview invite too.

They love suggesting masters programs to students.

You should be able to find the range of GPA's from accepted students somewhere....
Do you have ~300 hours of shadowing?

Thanks for the advice. At this point, I don't have 300 hours of shadowing (probably more like 100+), but I can definitely start doing more shadowing in the near future. Just out of curiosity, how did you pick the number 300? Is DCG known for emphasizing a high number of shadowing hours?

Also, that is a good idea regarding finding the range of GPAs of students who have been accepted in the past. I'll try to find that....

Members don't see this ad :)
the average mean some people will have higher stats and some will have lower stats. i'm sure people with lower than the average stats get interview invite too.

That's a good point, but the question is.... even though there have been people with lower than average stats who have received interview invites & acceptances in the past, how low of a GPA is DCG willing to consider? Don't most schools have GPA cut-offs at some point?

i would say it depend on your state of resident. if you are oos then obviously you will need higher stats to get their attention vs if you are instate.

just for reference, my stats in every categories is below the average stats for my state school, yet i received a interview there. i say you might have a chance if you are from ga, but if you are oos, you looking at a long shot.

just for reference, my stats in every categories is below the average stats for my state school, yet i received a interview there. i say you might have a chance if you are from ga, but if you are oos, you looking at a long shot.

Luckily for me, I'm from GA. But still... my GPA is way below the average of 3.63. It's gotten so high over the last few years.

the average for my state school is 3.61 sgpa and 3.66 ogpa, and my gpa is lower than your yet i got an interview at my state school. i say you still have a chance just because you are instate.

the average for my state school is 3.61 sgpa and 3.66 ogpa, and my gpa is lower than your yet i got an interview at my state school. i say you still have a chance just because you are instate.

I hope so! I guess I'll need to do really well on the DAT. I know I can score highly on Reading and Bio, but Gen Chem is going to take a bit of work, and Organic Chem is going to take a LOT of work...

I was told by admissions this is the amount they are looking for. DCG is so competitive

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wow, that's insane. Can I ask what your GPA and DAT scores are? Did they say that all applicants (even those with competitive GPA/DAT scores) are expected to apply with that many shadowing hours?

BTW, have you applied to DCG and received an interview invitation yet?

Last edited:
Admissions came to my school and told everyone 300 hours is the "magic number"; meaning, that is what you should have if you want to get in.

I have a 4.33 GPA, taking my DAT in a week! :eek: I already submitted everything and filled out my supplemental application! So, hopefully I'll receive one!

Wow, that is an incredible GPA. Are you a GA resident (I'm assuming DCG is your #1 choice)? I just browsed over the thread that was made for people applying during the current cycle, and it seems like there are a lot of applicants who are applying with 3.6-3.7+ GPAs.

In all honesty, if the applicant pool is this competitive, I'm probably better off not applying during the current admissions cycle and spending the next few semesters raising my GPA instead. I might even be better off applying as an OOS applicant to UAB.

Don't worry about it. Every applicant is different, that's why the app is so long. With a 3.41, you will get a good look from adcoms. Either they're interested of their not. Plus your situation is unique, so it might garner additional attention.
Smoke your DAT, write an awesome PS (adcoms love a Cinderella story), and i'm confident you will find success in the admissions process.
Good luck!

Thanks! Yup :)

A little tip, if you do decide to just wait to apply go ahead and apply this cycle too. If you don't get in they will talk with you about why you were rejected (which you can correct and fix for next cycle). Also, they take reapplicants more seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Good idea... because after all, the only thing I could lose by applying during the current admissions cycle is the cost of applying, right?

I don't know how they view GPAs but they're super flexible with DAT scores. I've talked to people who claimed their scores were super low but they got in. I've also talked to people who had a 24AA and 26 TS, 3.5 GPA, instate who didn't get in (he thinks it's because he had only 100 shadowing hours by the time they interviewed him). I was at their impressions program this year and they said they want 300 hours of shadowing but won't "turn away" people with 200 loll. I think keeping in contact with them will help. Don't annoy them though because I've heard from the dental students there that the admission committee don't like constantly receiving emails and calls from the same person.

By the way, they're trying to fill up to 100 seats this year! In the past it's always been about 85-90 I think.

Hmmm, so in other words, they are more adamant about interviewing/accepting applicants who have a high GPA, but they're not that concerned about DAT scores? I guess that's a good thing for someone with a really high GPA who didn't do so well on the DAT, but the downside is that an applicant with a lower GPA can't "make up" for the lower GPA by scoring really high on the DAT (like they can do for some schools). In other words, it looks like the only way someone with a lower GPA can improve their chances of getting accepted is to take more classes and raise their GPA. Maybe this is an inaccurate inference, but it seems to be the case. :/

Dont get discouraged, I've seen some people on this forum with lower GPAs than yours! You'll get an interview if you do well on your DAT. And then it comes down to the interview. The students there told me that they really pay attention to every thing you do at the interview and the dinner the night before. I think if the committee and the students part of the committee likes you, you'll have a high chance even if your gpa is not their "average".

I appreciate the words of encouragement, but isn't it likely that the students with low GPAs who were interviewed had dental (or other health professions) experience already? Would you happen to know anything about the specifics of their applications?

Thanks ....

I appreciate the words of encouragement, but isn't it likely that the students with low GPAs who were interviewed had dental (or other health professions) experience already? Would you happen to know anything about the specifics of their applications?

Thanks ....

If by experience you mean shadowing, then yes. Just try to get close to their 300 magic number.

If by experience you mean shadowing, then yes. Just try to get close to their 300 magic number.

Yeah, I definitely will. I was also just wondering if those applicants you mentioned who received interview invitations with lower than average stats had other things going for them (for example -- extensive research experience, M.S. degree in another science discipline, etc.).

Also, I figured I should add another detail, just in case people missed my other thread. Even though I mentioned this in my other thread, I was actually previously enrolled in an anesthesiology PA program but failed a lab course at the end of the second semester, so I ended up not being able to complete the program and had to leave. Does anyone know if DCG looks down on applicants who were previously enrolled in another health professions program they didn't finish because of failing a class? This probably has to be a deal breaker for certain schools.....