Has anyone taken a class at another school, but it was viewed as a retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Strange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a gen chem 2 course at one school, and my home institution says it is"duplicative". This is not a huge deal since I am more concerned with AACOMAS saying it is like a retake, when i simply meant to take an additional 4 semester hours of inorganic chemistry. What metric does AACOMAS use? Both courses are in chemistry, and is a 100 vs 2000 level system. The course description online is quite similar admittedly, but the names are different (Princples of Chemistry vs. General Chemistry II)....

Thanks

Edit: Wow my title was really poorly worded, I meant to take just a chemistry course somewhere else and now it could be viewed as a retake.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took a gen chem 2 course at one school, and my home institution says it is"duplicative". This is not a huge deal since I am more concerned with AACOMAS saying it is like a retake, when i simply meant to take an additional 4 semester hours of inorganic chemistry. What metric does AACOMAS use? Both courses are in chemistry, and is a 100 vs 2000 level system. The course description online is quite similar admittedly, but the names are different (Princples of Chemistry vs. General Chemistry II)....

Thanks

Edit: Wow my title was really poorly worded, I meant to take just a chemistry course somewhere else and now it could be viewed as a retake.

I had a course I took at a comm college and got a B, then I took a similar course when I transferred to a 4 year university. I marked it as a retake on AACOMAS because why not? It worked. It probably would have also worked if I had left it as not a retake. They had the same name, but different credit value and different schools.

If you took a course at another school, I do not think it should be counted as a retake.