Has anyone taken a medical terminology class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have some extra room in my schedule for next semester and was looking around for 2 credit courses when I spied this course called "Medical Terminology". It's offered in the graduate school as part of the biotechnology program. It's pretty much the only course I could take for 2 credits aside from taking some random exercise classes or more EMS certifications. Has anyone taken a course like this before? Did you find it helpful? What was covered in your class?

Members don't see this ad.

I took a medical terminology class in undergrad. It was offered by the Classics department. I really liked it, it was easy (a very easy A), and I found it interesting. We learned lots of greek and latin roots, prefixes, and suffixes and lots of different medical terms from the different systems with combinations of the different parts. I still have the book for fun.

And the longest word we learned was something to the effect of pneumopulmonvolcanoconiosis, which was (if i recall correctly) a disease of the lungs from volcanic ash, or something like that.

My recommendation, go for it.

I just finished taking it as a summer course! I absolutely LOVED it!! It was offered by the Classics Department and the female that taught it always told us about the Greek mythologies in connection to the Greek terms. I also learned about the origins of the English language and I learned about the history of medicine. Now, I get so excited when I see medical terms because I can tell you its etymology. Just rememer to use flash cards for this-it was almost pure memorization.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's funny. The longest word I learned was a type of phobia, a phobia of long words (ironic, isn't it). It was something like hippopotomontros???????phobia.

Dr. Starostik said:
That's funny. The longest word I learned was a type of phobia, a phobia of long words (ironic, isn't it). It was something like hippopotomontros???????phobia.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia :D