Has anyone taken a medical terminology class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have some extra room in my schedule for next semester and was looking around for 2 credit courses when I spied this course called "Medical Terminology". It's offered in the graduate school as part of the biotechnology program. It's pretty much the only course I could take for 2 credits aside from taking some random exercise classes or more EMS certifications. Has anyone taken a course like this before? Did you find it helpful? What was covered in your class?

Members don't see this ad.

from the title of the class, i predict much boredom ahead. you're probably better off taking a pineapple class

PineappleGirl said:
So, I have some extra room in my schedule for next semester and was looking around for 2 credit courses when I spied this course called "Medical Terminology". It's offered in the graduate school as part of the biotechnology program. It's pretty much the only course I could take for 2 credits aside from taking some random exercise classes or more EMS certifications. Has anyone taken a course like this before? Did you find it helpful? What was covered in your class?

I took a graduate level medical terminology course and found it to be very good and useful. We learned a little over 1500 word parts and watched lectures on various medical topics such as surgery, radiology, etc. to reinforce the material.

See if you school uses the software package produced by Dr. Seigfred Fagerberg of the University of Florida. That's the one I used and it was great.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan on taking time off between undergrad and med school, a course like this would probably help you when looking for a job (extra qualification). Otherwise I don't think it would be so useful. Although what bwells46 described sounds pretty interesting...

I say its a waste of time. What you will do is bottle up a huge list of words that you wont use for a while. Use your time in a more useful manner before you start med school. I know that getting into med school can turn into an obssesion (it was for me), but believe it or not there are much more interesting and useful things you can do now that you wont have time for later on.
When you get into med school you will use these words so much that they will basically become second nature so chill out and be patient. If you are applying to med school for the next year I recommend you use your time shadowing a local physician or doing something you like that will make your application stand out and more unique.
In the end, addcoms wont give a rats ass if you took medical terminology class or not, as long as you have the GPA and MCAT scores they are looking for.

Dr Who

Waste of time. You will become a walking medical dictionary after your first two semesters of med school.

Take something like basketweaving or underwater fire prevention instead.

Look at it this way:
You WILL learn some new stuff, it won't be hard and you will likely get an easy A. Why not?

You'll learn all the terminology you need in medical school. Why not take a course like golf or SCUBA for 2 credits? Have some fun while you're in college. You may actually find something to talk about in an interview.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323

Reactions: 1 user
I took an online 1 credit course through my university last year....it was just a bunch of memorizing from chapters you have to read.....not to mention it was boring.....but the upside is that I leanred alot of words that have been helpful while I am working at the hospital and now I have a better clue as to what doctors are saying when they use these words that i learned through the class.

the class is an easy A depending on where you take it.

hope this helps

D

Admissions coms know and easy A a mile away, and are not impressed. Besides what would you rather talk to your doc about, latin prefixes and suffixes, or that cool two hour art history class you took in undergrad.
My first day of Gross Anatomy in med school are prof told us we would learn 2000 new words by the end of the semester, he was more than right.

I have several friends who took med terminology at our school. It was offered as an online course, so was a way to get an easy A. I think that's why a lot of people took it in the first place.

However, that said, if it were me I'd probably take something more interesting because it will be the last chance to do something outside of the realm of medicine.

I say if you want to do it in your spare time, it will help you. But if there is something that you have always wanted to take as a fun class other than science/medical related ... go for it. I agree with Guju, its the last time you can take classes outside of science. I have a medical terminology book that I'm goign to do on my own (my sister took a med term class and I found the book online cheaper than hers :smuggrin: )

dont take it....

take ping pong 101 instead...hahaha

i wish they offered it at my school.....

I was thinking about it myself because I have heard that it is helpful once in medical school but I had no time. I opted to buy a book on ebay for 3.00; Very useful and you can check it out on your own time.