Has Anyone taken UNE's Online Biochemistry Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkelton

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has taken this course, or has heard anything from somebody who has taken this course? If so did you get a lot out of the course? Would you recommend somebody else to take the course? How difficult is the final (which counts for 100% of grade)? Any info is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Im taking it right now. I like the class, ive learned alot and its pretty interesting. I havent taken the final yet i hope its not too bad. Apparently only 4% of students fail the class.

I was wondering if anyone has taken this course, or has heard anything from somebody who has taken this course? If so did you get a lot out of the course? Would you recommend somebody else to take the course? How difficult is the final (which counts for 100% of grade)? Any info is appreciated.

I am also taking it, but I haven't really gotten into it yet. From what I understand though, the section tests and practice final are very similar to the actual final, so you are well prepared. So far, it seems pretty good. It uses the same text that I will be using next year in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, they offer alot of good classes over the net. Should would be nice if Med Schools would come out of the dark ages and give online courses their due...

I am taking it now...I like the text...I take the test 5/3...

woudl this course count for the biochemistry requirement? how much is it to take?

$1100, 4 Credit Course, and it does count as fulfilling the biochem requirement for the 3 schools (UNE, DMU, KCUMB) that require it.
I thought about taking Gen Biochem at current school, but thought that medical biochemistry would be a lot more applicable. Hopefully adcoms won't view the online course as stigma in comparison to classroom course.

$1100, 4 Credit Course, and it does count as fulfilling the biochem requirement for the 3 schools (UNE, DMU, KCUMB) that require it.
I thought about taking Gen Biochem at current school, but thought that medical biochemistry would be a lot more applicable. Hopefully adcoms won't view the online course as stigma in comparison to classroom course.

wow thats great. a little pricey, but what can you do? if they dont accepte my kines biochemistry course, i think ill end up doin that online one.

do you know if it works for any MD biochem requirements?

I'm not sure about MD, since I'm not applying that route, but I assume it wouldn't be a problem.

What are the opinions of those who have taken the UNE online Biochemistry? I haven't seen any reviews by people who have completed the course! were the recorded lectures helpful?

What are the opinions of those who have taken the UNE online Biochemistry? I haven't seen any reviews by people who have completed the course! were the recorded lectures helpful?

From what I remember it was a really good course. It wasn't that time consuming and the final was easy. If you need it to complete a pre-req i highly recommend it.

For those who have completed biochem., is it possible to finish the course in about 7 weeks? I am curious if it's about the same demand as an upper level bio Summer course at a decent College.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed the course in May, got an A, itsa good course, lotta of info, its possible to do at a quicker pace if thats all your doing. Just read the wiki page.

Ill check out the Wiki page...

How long did it take you to complete it?

Ill check out the Wiki page...

How long did it take you to complete it?

The wiki is part of the course, you get access when your taking the course...it covers all the chapter objectives very well....you have to log in, so you prolly cant see it unless your in the course

I honestly cranked out the course in 2 weeks...but I wouldn't recommend it

Has anyone taken any of the other courses? Which course would be possible to finish in the shortest amount of time but not at the expense of doing well? Some of the programs I applied to want a grade for upper level science courses, which I currently do not have. I signed up for anatomy and will be enrolling in biochem today.

I am wondering how much work these courses are in comparison to the sciences I took at my undergraduate school...

I took this course in the fall of 2011 and it actually took me about 20 weeks to complete since I was taking genetics, physics II and orgo I while working full time. You can get an extension up to about 9 months (which is completely unnecessary). There is a ton of information throughout the course but the nice thing about the course is that all of the final exam questions come from the chapter objectives. For each chapter, there is a set of 20+ questions that follow along with the lecture. You simply follow that and use as your notes/study guides and all of the practice quizzes and tests are from those.

I ended up with a B+ in the course but it was more challenging than I expected. The questions for the actual final are similar to the practice tests and I spent about 3 weeks prepping for the final exam because I had the luxury of scheduling the exam when I wanted to and I also wanted to make sure that I could get a decent grade.

Also, if it takes longer than 16 weeks to complete the course, it still shows up on your transcript that you completed the course in 1 semester.

Thanks for the info. I enrolled in anatomy and plan to add biochemistry

Did anyone take this course without o-chem? Because of my time frame as a nontraditonal applicant, I'm either going to have to take biochem this fall, along with o-chem I, or this upcoming spring when I'll be much much busier. If this online course is doable, I'd certainly prefer to get it out of the way now.

For what it's worth, I did sit in on o-chem survey this past spring. I didn't take any exams and don't have reactions memorized, but I have a good general understanding of the basis concepts. What do you think?

Are any of the original posters still around? I'm curious to know how the application process went for the people who took a few of these courses. I saw at least one is now a resident so I'm assuming it went well.

I took the UNE biochem course back in 2009. Got an A. I thought it was a great class and it gave me good background knowledge prior to starting 1st year med school (I'm now M3).

Reactions: 1 user
I took the UNE biochem course back in 2009. Got an A. I thought it was a great class and it gave me good background knowledge prior to starting 1st year med school (I'm now M3).

Thanks for the response. Obviously, you got in, but did you run into any issues anywhere with having an online course on your app?

DMU isn't on this list but someone else said that DMU will take it....so would I be ok to plan on taking this class?

Yup...I emailed DMU before and they told me that they would accept it.

I took it and it was accepted by both the schools that had requirements for biochem. No problems, although I was nontrad, so likely more expected to have an online version of the course. I think it's a good course, but it's a fair amount of work!

Are any of the original posters still around? I'm curious to know how the application process went for the people who took a few of these courses. I saw at least one is now a resident so I'm assuming it went well.

I took O Chem 1 and 2 with labs from this school and had absolutely no problems from any medical school (but I called in advance and verified which schools accept online pre-requisites).

I took O Chem 1 and 2 with labs from this school and had absolutely no problems from any medical school (but I called in advance and verified which schools accept online pre-requisites).

Would you mind sharing what schools you applied to?

Would you mind sharing what schools you applied to?

I can't remember all the schools I applied to, but I do remember most of the ones I got interviews at which are:

1. LMU-DCOM (attending school here)
2. DMU
3. LECOM-Bradenton
4. AZCOM
5. TOURO California
6. University of Wisconsin (MD)

There may have been one or two more, but I cancelled my other interviews after my acceptance. Most DO schools had absolutely no problem with the online courses (although I took the majority of my classes at a traditional "brick and mortar").

However, most MD schools will not accept them, but there are about 40-50 MD schools that will. Hope this helps.

I can't remember all the schools I applied to, but I do remember most of the ones I got interviews at which are:

1. LMU-DCOM (attending school here)
2. DMU
3. LECOM-Bradenton
4. AZCOM
5. TOURO California
6. University of Wisconsin (MD)

There may have been one or two more, but I cancelled my other interviews after my acceptance. Most DO schools had absolutely no problem with the online courses (although I took the majority of my classes at a traditional "brick and mortar").

However, most MD schools will not accept them, but there are about 40-50 MD schools that will. Hope this helps.

It was a big help. I've been on these boards praising online education for a little while. I've called most DO schools and checked the MSAR for all MD schools that will accept the the classes. Now I'm just trying to find as many success stories as I can. I'm going to be anywhere between 50% and 90% online for my prereqs. Not ideal, but I have to do what I have to do.

Thanks again.

It was a big help. I've been on these boards praising online education for a little while. I've called most DO schools and checked the MSAR for all MD schools that will accept the the classes. Now I'm just trying to find as many success stories as I can. I'm going to be anywhere between 50% and 90% online for my prereqs. Not ideal, but I have to do what I have to do.

Thanks again.

:thumbup: Good luck. I felt comfortable doing classes through UNE because it was associated with a SOM and the biochem book is used at my medical school.

:thumbup: Good luck. I felt comfortable doing classes through UNE because it was associated with a SOM and the biochem book is used at my medical school.

Thanks a lot. I actually wish I could afford to take all my courses from UNE. I feel more comfortable with them for the same reason. I'm going ot take a few from them, most at CCConline, and a few at a local CC.

Did you use this course as a required prerequisite or only for preparation? I'm trying to figure out which schools will count this as fulfilling a prerequisite

Did you use this course as a required prerequisite or only for preparation? I'm trying to figure out which schools will count this as fulfilling a prerequisite
It doesn't look like he's been online in almost a year. I took is as a prereq, which I believe can work for DMU, KCUMB, or UNE. Not sure about any others.

Baylor University MD program does not accept UNE's online biochemistry course. I just found out and will post any updates.