Has burnout ever caused you to lose passion for pursuing mediicne?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've felt that happen thiis semester with my classes and juggling work. I think the fear of getting closer to being where I've worked to be , giving up my job to go into an SMP next year and potentially coming out of that with a no acceptance to med school, no job and 100k in loan debt worries me.

What have your thoughts been during the non-trad process and how did you overcome fears of losing a stable job for uncertainty, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I've felt that happen thiis semester with my classes and juggling work. I think the fear of getting closer to being where I've worked to be , giving up my job to go into an SMP next year and potentially coming out of that with a no acceptance to med school, no job and 100k in loan debt worries me.

What have your thoughts been during the non-trad process and how did you overcome fears of losing a stable job for uncertainty, etc?

Absolutely. I prayed!:)

1) Dig deep, deeper than you ever have before in the face of your challenges.

2) Shadow with some physicians to remind yourself of why you're here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll work on that during the holiday break, sfo. I've wanted to shadow the peds in the hospital, so I'll work on that. Thanks. I'll keep digging deeper.

what has been most discouraging to me is the time spent away from my husband and daughter that could ultimately be for nothing - studying for the MCAT and working full-time in research, specifically. i just think of how many nights i have not come home for dinner because of a class or lab i had. all i have to say is, it better be worth it!!!:laugh::D

i also think time away has given me perspective. i am only 23 and was pre-med all during my undergraduate years. i decided my senior year, mostly because of my husband and (at the time) 5 year old daughter, that it was too much for me. i took between may-september (right after i graduated college) to really think about what i wanted to do while also applying for research positions. i landed a fantastic one (where i am now) and really got a fresh perspective on the situation. now i know without any doubt that this is what i want to do, and i will stop at nothing to reach my goals. long story short...sitting back and taking everything in really helps to put perspective on things. :thumbup: it helps to remind me why im here and why im suffering :laugh:

last summer i was working 5pm until 6am 5 days a week and taking organic chemistry 1 from 10am-400pm 5 days. I live about 20 minutes away from the college. I was also studying for the MCAT. This lasted 3 weeks. I have no idea how I pulled an A but it seriously took about a month and a half before I could open another book to study. my mcat definitely suffered because of it.

if you don't have a lot of stuff to get done this winter break after work, do something completely pointless. watch movies, play video games, do stuff not related to school. it may leave you refreshed for the next semester.