Has Hospitalist and PC IM salary started to Stagnate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychMDhopefully

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems for the last 3-4 years or so, hospitalist salary has been hanging around the 230-250k range, with the trends I'd think it would be heading to the 270-280k range.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems for the last 3-4 years or so, hospitalist salary has been hanging around the 230-250k range, with the trends I'd think it would be heading to the 270-280k range.

Most of the people I know are getting offers in the 270+ range in midsize to small cities ie 100-500k pop cities.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
270k base or with bonus? The median for 2016 was 278, I am assumming that's with bonuses. That reflects an annual increase that's ahead of inflatuon.

Hospitalist salaries are far from stagnating. MGMA 2016 survey - median for hospitalists is 278k (as mentioned in the previous post). 5.3% increase from previous year.

What kind of offers are people getting in the NY tri-state area? Long island? Are offers in the low 200s possible?

No, the 270 was actually without bonus. Further bonus of 20k sign on + 90k loan forgiveness in the form of a promissory note structured as a loan to be forgiven over the course of the contract.

Its a very good contract and its available- but are you willing to live in a small town in the midwest?

What kind of offers are people getting in the NY tri-state area? Long island? Are offers in the low 200s possible?

I see offers around 200-250 for outpatient jobs internal medicine/hospitalist ones too...now whether they include bonuses, healthcare in that calculation I dont know- I just see these pop up and delete them anyway. No desire to make 250k in a city where 400k equals 178k anywhere else

I see offers around 200-250 for outpatient jobs internal medicine/hospitalist ones too...now whether they include bonuses, healthcare in that calculation I dont know- I just see these pop up and delete them anyway. No desire to make 250k in a city where 400k equals 178k anywhere else
Thanks for the response. For me its for family reasons to be in that area. Sucks the pay is less and cost of living higher.

270k may be national average but no one in my area is receiving anything close to that kind of offer. Granted, I'm in a large east coast city who historically has been on low end of range of salaries and I would say total compensation for most hospitalists ranges from 190k to 220k with a very rare exception being a little over the 220k for daytime position. This figure has improved steadily in last 5-10 years so agree that salaries are not stagnant.

Reactions: 2 users
270k may be national average but no one in my area is receiving anything close to that kind of offer. Granted, I'm in a large east coast city who historically has been on low end of range of salaries and I would say total compensation for most hospitalists ranges from 190k to 220k with a very rare exception being a little over the 220k for daytime position. This figure has improved steadily in last 5-10 years so agree that salaries are not stagnant.

I feel like salaries in general get over-estimated on here.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like salaries in general get over-estimated on here.
MGMA data is probably your best source. The full reports reportedly have regional breakdowns too, but you have to pay for them.

The ~$230-260k to start for a recent graduate in a non-academic job outside of the big cities is in line with what I've seen personally

Academics lowers that drastically, as does SF/NY/etc. Nights increases it somewhat... And a willingness to work in Wyoming or Montana damn near doubles it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
MGMA data is probably your best source. The full reports reportedly have regional breakdowns too, but you have to pay for them.

The ~$230-260k to start for a recent graduate in a non-academic job outside of the big cities is in line with what I've seen personally

Academics lowers that drastically, as does SF/NY/etc.

I think the problem is that 80% of the population lives near a major city. So people ignore the qualifier of outside of a big city, and expect to walk out of residency making 270k as a hospitalist.

I also never understood why an "academic" hospitalist makes so much less. Outside of pure altruism and joy for academia, not sure why someone would take 50k less to round and work the same hours as someone at a community hospital. Especially given the high amount of "non-teaching" services that have risen up given high clinical volume.

Reactions: 1 users

Academics lowers that drastically, as does SF/NY/etc. Nights increases it somewhat... And a willingness to work in Wyoming or Montana damn near doubles it.

I agree that MGMA tends to overestimate. Like I said, I work in a large east coast city not mentioned (not SF/NYC although usually right behind those cities in terms of high cost of living) and academic hospitalists at two universities are 150-210k and full time community hospitalists are 190-220k. There is one program I know that pays 240k out of 10-15 that I know. I think it just attests to the vairation in salaries across the country and if people expect to start at 270k a year or even 240k in my area, they will be disappointed.

Reactions: 1 users
Just because the national medians don't represent one particular region does not mean that these salaries don't represent other areas.

2 of my friends just signed hospitalist contracts in the metros of a large midwestern city for salaries that correspond well to the MGMA medians for that region.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the problem is that 80% of the population lives near a major city. So people ignore the qualifier of outside of a big city, and expect to walk out of residency making 270k as a hospitalist.

I also never understood why an "academic" hospitalist makes so much less. Outside of pure altruism and joy for academia, not sure why someone would take 50k less to round and work the same hours as someone at a community hospital. Especially given the high amount of "non-teaching" services that have risen up given high clinical volume.
There's still plenty of cities where 250+ is available. Just not the highest COL cities.

I too thought MGMA is not realistic or that 270 was too good to be true.

I am in a 100k city where the average starting is 270. I know this because I've been offered it. My friend who told me about 270 showed me his contract and he accepted the offer in another town (albeit small).

I am currently receiving offers of 230-250 for outpatient INTERNIST (not fp) positions in towns up to an hr from major metropolitan areas like indy, minneapolis etc.

I am being offered 210-230 in places like Minneapolis for outpatient internist positions, and this is just salary (sans loan, bonus etc)

In general the trend is to move towards at least 250+ for inpatient physicians in many midwestern cities. These are large regional cities that have million + in metropolitan size.

I think you can expect that the older docs who have signed on long term contracts to be locked in to the 230 areas.

If you go to nicer regions these salaries drop.
some of the nicer areas in warmer regions are offering 180-200 but Im told they're in the process of reassessing salary schedules which means they'll go up a bit

I'd say that many major cities in the midwest, texas, and west coast will pay reasonably well. The areas to expect low salaries are north east and Cali regions and really big cities, chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta etc

Furthermore many many practices are obligated to utilize compensation data like MGMA

legally they are required to pay you what is considered fair market value in keeping with the median salaries with regional adjustments. Median salary data is provided by MGMA and other groups and these datas are actually correct

for reference, if you are 1 hr or less from a major city then you can expect to be in the 25th to 50th percentil, 1-2 hrs- then 50-75 and >2 hrs 75+ % of payments

This is generally what Im being offered with competitive salaries including sign on bonuses and loan repayments that are higher than the base.

Has anyone taken a look at the Merrit Hawkins review "Physician Compensation Data: Revenue by Specialty"? Is that legit or is it like a USNWR survey? It seems that hospitalists do generate at least modest revenue compared to other specialities, but with the shift to high value care, I wonder if/how the trend will change and if the slope will rise. I guess the other variable is who the payers are for a hospital's population and what the expected insurance and reimbursement situation will be in the future.

Slightly outdated but this has a multisourced aggregate of data.

Attachments

• 2015-compilation-of-physician-compensation-surveys.pdf
    466.5 KB · Views: 230
Slightly outdated but this has a multisourced aggregate of data.

I only know the GI side. The problem with this data is it seems to leave out major academic programs, where starting GI salaries can be as low as 170-230.

Hospitalists also start at like 160-170 at my center I think.

I only know the GI side. The problem with this data is it seems to leave out major academic programs, where starting GI salaries can be as low as 170-230.

Hospitalists also start at like 160-170 at my center I think.

I thought as much. The numbers seem too overinflated to be considering all types of jobs.

Sounds like you're from a center in a supersaturated market on one of the coasts. Well..hopefully your post dissuades people to go into GI or hospital medicine for the $.

I thought as much. The numbers seem too overinflated to be considering all types of jobs.

Sounds like you're from a center in a supersaturated market on one of the coasts. Well..hopefully your post dissuades people to go into GI or hospital medicine for the $.

Well don't get me wrong, on the low end most GI folks in the real world are making 300-400, some substantially more. Again it all depends on your location and practice environment.