Has the Michigan secondary changed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandflea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
am i a *****? i just happened to log on to the online michigan secondary to check my status, and decided to take a look at the app itself. first, there's a message in red at the top of the app that i KNOW wasn't there before regarding saving your changes to the app....but then i scroll down and i see a question asking if i have any brothers or sisters. was that always there? i *swear* it wasn't before. was i totally blind the 192384 times i checked the app before i submitted it?!

Members don't see this ad.

are you talking about univ of michigan ann arbor?

if so, I have no clue what you are talking about .... :D

yes, ann arbor.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes sandflea, it changed

What is your current status on there?

i'm currently 'undergoing review'--or however they word it. they just received my fee a few days ago so i'm not expecting to hear from them soon. they're a reach school anyway so the only thing i ever hear may be a rejection anyway.

glad to hear that i'm not the only one who saw the change to the app!

what do you mean it changed?

it gives status updates...they received everything from me 8/20/01 somethin...and it is also "under review" :D

They updated the app to add in a question about how many bros/sis you have and their ages. Once you submit though, its too late, you can't update it.

Yeah...that question was NOT there before! It won't let us do anything about re-submitting, so I'm going to just assume that they are aware that many of us didn't have that question on our secondary at the time we filled it out.

i emailed the director of admissions a while back about something else. she was extremely nice and told me that they weren't going to hold minor things (presumably stuff like this) against us because *their* web app, like AMCAS, is new too and they're working out the bugs.

My status still says....

"We have received your application fee or waiver. Your application is being considered for further action. This process may take several months. We will notify you if we need additional information. We thank you for your patience."

Does anyone else still have this?

I emailed the director of admission there, waiting for an answer.

Mossjoh

I had a question on the Michigan secondary. I remember seeing a link before on this topic but can't find it anymore...are we only allowed to submit the secondary after we hear from Michigan? If not...does anyone have the website available for the Michigan secondary?

michigan sends out an email once they've received your info from AMCAS. nothing personal, but there's no point in listing the link because it's secure--you can't log into it until they have your info and contact you with the password, etc. once you log in, the app has all of your coursework and AMCAS info already listed, so you'll need to wait until michigan gets in touch with you.

is your AMCAS app verified? i got the email several weeks after my app appeared to have been processed. it was quite a while after others on this forum got emails from michigan.

good luck!

Univ of Michigan does this:

1) They send out an email to everyone when they receive your primary information. They then store it in their computer system and send EVERYONE a secondary.

2) If you submit your secondary AND they think you are qualified...they will send you ANOTHER EMAIL asking for your letters of recommendation and a picture. They only do this for 25 PERCENT of the applicants who turn in the secondary!!!! SO remember this....if they haven't asked for your letters or picture...that probably is not the best sign...

3) Once your online status says "under review"....just wait patiently. Unless you are from Michigan, it's going to take them at least 2 weeks to sort out your file and then they will call you or email you...just relax. My file was complete with them on 8/01, and I still had to wait about 2 or 3 weeks to hear anything from them. Now they probably have many more applications...they have one of the nicest faculty I have spoken to at many different medical schools...so don't email them and bug them if you only recently submitted...If it says under review..then it is....if it says "when all items are checked, your file is under review", and all your items are checked...then it's under review!

Relax...go to a movie...they'll let you know when they are ready.

I still haven't heard word from them even though I've heard from all the other schools who have sent out secondaries after receiving the preliminary primary info from AMCAS. I certified and submitted the primary 7/5 and so far looks like no processing on my primary. Does anyone know of other students who submitted around those dates that haven't receieved the secondary? Should i call Michigan and ask them directly?

i think michigan wants more than just the preliminary stuff from AMCAS, which is just a one-page summary of your GPA and MCAT--my impression is that they're waiting to receive the entire application, because when you log into the app, all of your coursework is already listed, and there is no way michigan would know any of that unless they had a copy of your entire AMCAS app. michigan is one of the few schools that is able to receive applications electronically. i submitted my AMCAS app in june and i just got the email from michigan about 2 weeks ago.

but it wouldn't hurt to call them if you want.

Actually, I just got an email from Michigan today asking me to fill out their secondary. I have not been processed yet and my coursework does not appear in the secondary. It looks like they may have gotten tired of waiting for the verification. They did tell me it could be a couple of months before they reach a decision on whether or not to continue considering ones application. I'm sure others not yet verified will begin to receive this email as well.

yup, i just the email from U.Mich. too, and i'm unverified, unprocessed, the whole shabang.