Hashtagging Cards for quicker search

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, maybe there is an easier way to do this, but personally, I don't like adding tags for some things b/c I want to search for them within a given deck.

For some background, I'm currently on my FM rotation and I'm using the Anking step 2 deck. My preference is to create subdecks for the shelf cards that I've unsuspended, so I have an FM shelf subdeck. When I do uWorld or an OME video etc, I unsuspend the related cards that are tagged for the FM shelf and move them to the FM shelf subdeck. Then, when I study, I focus on that subdeck. The reason I do this is an entirely separate topic but if someone is truly interested in my madness, the root of it stems from the November 2020 changes to step II, which has given me a reason to also include some of the step 1 material into my studies as it pertains to step II (and not just the shelf exams).

With that said, there are a few concepts that I find myself wanting to refer to when using anki as a reference source. That is, sometimes I encounter something in clinic that I know is in my anki deck, so, rather than scramble through 17 other resources, I wanted to be able to quickly locate the info. So, I've started dropping relevant hashtags into the "lecture notes" field on the cards.

An example would be #hematuria. So, if I have a pt w/ hematuria AND I know that I've unsuspended an anki card that has the info that I want BUT I don't want to see every card that has "hematuria" contained somewhere in the card, I can just quickly browse my FM Shelf subdeck, type "#hematuria" into the search and get the results of the few relevant cards.

I typically tag these cards as I'm doing my reviews, so, for example, if I'm smashing the spacebar and see a card that would have been super helpful info for a patient that I had previously encountered, I'll drop a relevant hashtag.

So, if someone finds this useful great. If there is already an easier way to do this, I'm all ears.

Members don't see this ad.