Hate medicine, but GPA is too low for grad school...

Started by jaykav07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
]I'm actually thinking of taking my undergrad again.[/B] I am not very fond of medicine, and have got a 2.7 GPA, and I'm pretty sure that's too low to even be considered for ANY non-online grad program of any field. So my options are take undergrad again in an unrelated feild, or go to an offshore medical school. What do yall think is best? Do you think there are grad schools that accept GPA's so low if they are unrelated to my major?

This is assuming of course, I have enough competency to pull my stuff together to do well in an offshore medical school.

that's one thing we have in common.

may i ask what did you major in during undergrad? and how did you end up with a 2.7? a hard major, didn't try hard, family/personal problems?

you need to know what caused you to have such a mediocre performance in order to improve in the future. figure out what went wrong in undergrad and fix it.
 
that's one thing we have in common.

may i ask what did you major in during undergrad? and how did you end up with a 2.7? a hard major, didn't try hard, family/personal problems?

you need to know what caused you to have such a mediocre performance in order to improve in the future. figure out what went wrong in undergrad and fix it.

After I realized I was screwing around too much, my GPA was so low I was kind of just aiming for an offshore school after that point, just cruising through classes.

And I don't see why offshore med schools are getting all this flak, you have to get a good STEP score to get into residency from abroad AND from America. The schools which I'm applying to have I think a 60%+ matching rate, which isn't that bad I'd say considering they let people with 2.7 GPA's walk into the door 😛
 
After I realized I was screwing around too much, my GPA was so low I was kind of just aiming for an offshore school after that point, just cruising through classes.

And I don't see why offshore med schools are getting all this flak, you have to get a good STEP score to get into residency from abroad AND from America. The schools which I'm applying to have I think a 60%+ matching rate, which isn't that bad I'd say considering they let people with 2.7 GPA's walk into the door 😛

That's a 60% match rate not taking into account attrition rate. Those who are part of that statistic of matching or not matching were not one of the many who dropped out or who were kicked out. Many of those < 3.0 GPAs might be within the statistic who did not make it to the 4th year.

Keep that in mind, and good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After I realized I was screwing around too much, my GPA was so low I was kind of just aiming for an offshore school after that point, just cruising through classes.

And I don't see why offshore med schools are getting all this flak, you have to get a good STEP score to get into residency from abroad AND from America. The schools which I'm applying to have I think a 60%+ matching rate, which isn't that bad I'd say considering they let people with 2.7 GPA's walk into the door 😛

Strong analysis; you've clearly researched this extensively.

😎
 
After I realized I was screwing around too much, my GPA was so low I was kind of just aiming for an offshore school after that point, just cruising through classes.

And I don't see why offshore med schools are getting all this flak, you have to get a good STEP score to get into residency from abroad AND from America. The schools which I'm applying to have I think a 60%+ matching rate, which isn't that bad I'd say considering they let people with 2.7 GPA's walk into the door 😛

lmao, yeah only the superstars are bringing in the great Step 1 scores (most likely not too many if they had to resort to going to a Carrib school). You have to remember that it is the students' job to stay on top of his/her game and the school only works to supplement him/her with the resources needed to achieve the scores/foundation needed. Bottom-line the way some Carrib schools are setup pale in comparison (prob big understatement for some) to schools in the states. I've heard many times about students getting rushed along and not having the adequate resources to prep well and getting sub-par board exam scores on top of already being underdogs coming from these institutions.

Anyways troll or not, I was bored and just wanted to post something....:laugh:
 
I'm actually thinking of taking my undergrad again. I am not very fond of medicine, and have got a 2.7 GPA, and I'm pretty sure that's too low to even be considered for ANY non-online grad program of any field. So my options are take undergrad again in an unrelated feild, or go to an offshore medical school. What do yall think is best? Do you think there are grad schools that accept GPA's so low if they are unrelated to my major?

This is assuming of course, I have enough competency to pull my stuff together to do well in an offshore medical school.

This is kind of why I said I "dislike the culture" of medicine, why do you have to have a passion for medicine to do it? Don't act like you guys aren't in it for the money, why else would you carefully moderate the seats available at med schools to keep your salaries high? As far as I can tell there is little upward mobility once you do become a doctor compared to other high achieving fields like law and management so where is that passion going to go?

Also back to the OP, do you think that GPA is too low for grad school in hospital admin or something?
Starting salary is sky high compared to basically every other profession, though with the downside of less upward mobility.

You don't know me or my situation but are playing armchair psychologist from the comfort of your computer, pls stick to the OP, I came here asking for help. Assuming I can do it, what would be the pros and cons of each option?

If it helps, my incentive to go into any field will be money, and that is why I'm giving medicine a double take. EDIT: @ above post, I'm pretty sure your MCAT or undergrad GPA is not a very big deal when looking for residencies >.> And to get a 200k+ salary in finance? You better be working your arse off, just b/c medicine is tough doesn't mean everything else is easy.

How many people do you know who have been working in other feilds make 200k+ after 4 years of working? The mid-career salary of a graduate from a top 15 MBA program is like 150k.


I was curios so a quick google search:

Average mid-career pay for computer science grads: $97,700

Also its good to note that I'll have to spend loads of money on schooling if changing career paths, so either option is a pretty big financial dent.

I chastised him for not sticking to the OP. Also, get at me.

Are u kidding, why would I improve that GPA? My chances of getting into any american program are 0 unless I somehow miraculously bring it up to 3.5-3.8. Better off literally getting another undergrad degree, as I stated in OP.

Last reply to comments off topic from OP, what is there to learn from all this criticism? To give up and work at a 7/11 despite everything I know about myself b/c some kid who doesn't have close to the full picture is trying to put me into a box based on where the average person with a 2.7 GPA would fall into? I know full well where the avg person in my situation would be, that's not what I came to these forums to ask.

Yeah I know you can do an MBA or something after you get an MD, but if I was destined to go into business in any case, I'm thinking why not just cut the MD part out of it? The same could be said if I was to go into writing and speaking, etc, 7 years is a lot of blood, sweat, and tears just to put that title on the end of your name.

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.
 
Last edited:
Are u kidding, why would I improve that GPA? My chances of getting into any american program are 0 unless I somehow miraculously bring it up to 3.5-3.8. Better off literally getting another undergrad degree, as I stated in OP.

I'd suggest becoming a movie start or pro basketball player. They make good money, and your odds of success in these careers is about the same as your odds of US MD.😛

Otherwise, a tech or financial career. True, the 'averages' aren't as good, but compensation for successful mid-career people can be very high.
 
After I realized I was screwing around too much, my GPA was so low I was kind of just aiming for an offshore school after that point, just cruising through classes.

And I don't see why offshore med schools are getting all this flak, you have to get a good STEP score to get into residency from abroad AND from America. The schools which I'm applying to have I think a 60%+ matching rate, which isn't that bad I'd say considering they let people with 2.7 GPA's walk into the door 😛

So after "cruising" and being lazy in undergrad, you're all of the sudden gonna turn up the heat when you get into an offshore medical school? Right.....
 
I'm actually thinking of taking my undergrad again. I am not very fond of medicine, and have got a 2.7 GPA, and I'm pretty sure that's too low to even be considered for ANY non-online grad program of any field. So my options are take undergrad again in an unrelated feild, or go to an offshore medical school. What do yall think is best? Do you think there are grad schools that accept GPA's so low if they are unrelated to my major?

This is assuming of course, I have enough competency to pull my stuff together to do well in an offshore medical school.

Your logic is air-tight.
 
I'm actually thinking of taking my undergrad again. I am not very fond of medicine, and have got a 2.7 GPA, and I'm pretty sure that's too low to even be considered for ANY non-online grad program of any field. So my options are take undergrad again in an unrelated feild, or go to an offshore medical school. What do yall think is best? Do you think there are grad schools that accept GPA's so low if they are unrelated to my major?

This is assuming of course, I have enough competency to pull my stuff together to do well in an offshore medical school.

lolwut?
 
Kids, please....do NOT feed the trolls!


:corny: The classic case of the Aggressive OP Syndrome (which sadly has no cure or treatment).

1. Post a thread asking for advice.
2. Read the advice posted by numerous members.
3. Attack them for posting unsatisfactory advice.

OP, I'm not going to bother with the redundancy, but you're not suited for medicine or any professional career with your attitude. Choose something else.
 
I'm actually thinking of taking my undergrad again. I am not very fond of medicine, and have got a 2.7 GPA, and I'm pretty sure that's too low to even be considered for ANY non-online grad program of any field. So my options are take undergrad again in an unrelated feild, or go to an offshore medical school. What do yall think is best? Do you think there are grad schools that accept GPA's so low if they are unrelated to my major?

This is assuming of course, I have enough competency to pull my stuff together to do well in an offshore medical school.

Don't worry, you don't have the grades to make it into a US medical school and you won't get a residency spot of the time you complete medical school if you do go the off shore route.

Problem solved, you won't be going into medicine. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm actually thinking of taking my undergrad again. I am not very fond of medicine, and have got a 2.7 GPA, and I'm pretty sure that's too low to even be considered for ANY non-online grad program of any field. So my options are take undergrad again in an unrelated feild, or go to an offshore medical school. What do yall think is best? Do you think there are grad schools that accept GPA's so low if they are unrelated to my major?

This is assuming of course, I have enough competency to pull my stuff together to do well in an offshore medical school.

Hating medicine + going to medical school = good way to end up on suicide watch. Seriously.

There are hundreds of careers out there find something you don't hate.
 
I'm actually thinking of taking my undergrad again. I am not very fond of medicine, and have got a 2.7 GPA, and I'm pretty sure that's too low to even be considered for ANY non-online grad program of any field. So my options are take undergrad again in an unrelated feild, or go to an offshore medical school. What do yall think is best? Do you think there are grad schools that accept GPA's so low if they are unrelated to my major?

This is assuming of course, I have enough competency to pull my stuff together to do well in an offshore medical school.

LoL@ Using medicine as a backup, even though you hate it, simply because your GPA is too low for grad school.
 
Meh April Fools attempt :/

If this kid is serious:

You BETTER have a good reason for why medicine or the ADCOMs will laugh you out of the building. Also you are gonna be miserable for the first 2 years(have fun studying for hours 6 days a week on stuff you hate), and need to fake loving your rotations(people will see through it like paper!). If you hate medicine, just don't do it, easy as pie.

And a 2.7 GPA will be an extreme battle to even get in to med school. Unless you wanna waste money in the Caribbean and fail out.

Also, if your only motive money, WHY go Carib where you will NOT make good money at all?

It's also sad that there are people with this actual mentality "I only wanna make a lot of money, therefore I deserve to be a shoo in to a high paying career!" Guess what? Most people are NOT able to accomplish that. Deal with it. Not everyone is able to make even close to six figures...or else there will be bundles of rich people everywhere. Just because you wanna be rich doesn't mean it's gonna happen.
 
Last edited: