I hate PBL. I need tips to get through this.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paggarwal

Reaction score
I hate USC PBL curriculum. I need some tips to study. We only take a midterm and a final. COMBOT is just labeling pictures. Multiple choice is the hardest because they can test you on everything. It is hard to get an A and a C. B are fine if you want to be a general dentist but if you want to specialize you are screwed. Not to mention there have been complaints about the Dean changing grades for some students. I got a 25 on the DAT. A 28 on the Biology section and a 3.9 GPA. Im not a nutcase here. PBL has been the worst decision for my academic career. I made an A in the one lecture class we had but it is only 2 credits. So now I have a 3.0 GPA. I want to do oral surgery too so it looks like thats out of reach. So now Im 600k in debt and I can't learn from my dental school. I study for the CBSE alongside my classes. I have mass amounts of knowledge going in for the exam. But the questions are written by a PhD instead of an actual dentist. What do I do? I need some real advice here not some cold hearted stuff that I always see on this site.

Learn my lesson. Only go to USC if your parents own a dental practice or you are a donor/ rich because it seems like from the article below you will be taken care of.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone in the school you can reach out for help? any faculty or tutoring resources? I sent you a message as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had PBL at my school, but we are also pass/fail so I can see how stressful that is if you're being graded. Where do your test questions come from? I used to do practice questions from textbooks that were assigned for readings and the various books on access med which was provided by our school. Not entirely identical to the questions on exams, but enough that I would understand the material in the way the professor teaching it wanted us to understand. Talk to upperclassmen who were successful and see what they did. Throughout dental school PBL or not I found it essential to adapt my study habits constantly based on what the assessments were going to be and how much material there was. Step 1 is to re-strategize and seems like youre already there. goodluck