Have Fun & Procrastinate Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At home today with the infant because day care is closed for some all staff training. Anyone else here keenly aware are of how boring infants are?
You haven't mastered the "take your kid for some kid activity for two hours then go to the brewery for lunch" routine yet? There is no minimum age for this strategy, and there can also be napping involved.

Members don't see this ad.

Can one truly have fun when procrastinating?

I just end up anxious, and if procrastination goes on too long it has a carry over effect on times when all my work is complete.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Because I am bored, the other conversation got me curious, and it is not Friday....How old is everyone here?

I'm 36

Wow- I may be the oldest one around these parts! I’m 25 times older than the average age of my clients. Been spinning around this star for half a century!
If I was 25 x the average age of my clients, I'd be 2,125 years old. I look good for 2,125.

Wow- I may be the oldest one around these parts! I’m 25 times older than the average age of my clients. Been spinning around this star for half a century!
47 here. I be old too :)

• Wow
People often say to me, “what are you, 12?!“.

Ditto. I've had patients request to see another therapist because they're uncomfortable with how young I look, lol.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Also 36.

On another note, I stumbled across this the other day. I don't think it was intended as such, but this is possibly the best depiction of what its like to be a therapist that I have ever seen.

Kidding. Sorta.

Would I be out of line posting it on my clinic door?

1572008996879.png

Reactions: 4 users
Also 36.

On another note, I stumbled across this the other day. I don't think it was intended as such, but this is possibly the best depiction of what its like to be a therapist that I have ever seen.

Kidding. Sorta.

Would I be out of line posting it on my clinic door?

View attachment 284523
So true. And it's also understandable that people tend to experience tremendous resistance to and difficulty accepting responsibility for contributing to the 'tragedy' of their lives. I think some of the 'art' of psychotherapy consists of learning--often through trial-and-error--how to help an individual open up to that possibility in a manner that is tolerable rather than overwhelming and that leads to increased (rather than decreased) engagement with the psychotherapeutic process. And I don't mean 'art' in terms of 'woo woo' or some mystical unknowable process...I mean art in terms of skill that develops through experience in the form of implicit rulesets that may be difficult to articulate verbally or to operationalize.

Reactions: 2 users
Ditto. I've had patients request to see another therapist because they're uncomfortable with how young I look, lol.

I actually meant my sense of humor. Thankfully, a high stress diet has prematurely greyed my temples which has eliminated the comments about my babyface.

I think look a bit younger, but do have some first greys in my beard. All of my students are traditionally aged undergrads and most of my clients are younger than me also. Depending on the student/client I think I get "older brother" or "dad" projected onto me.

• Haha
I actually meant my sense of humor. Thankfully, a high stress diet has prematurely greyed my temples which has eliminated the comments about my babyface.

12 year old you say, grey hair you say... I will now picture you like this:

05621e92570594ce88d5c5cf152002ed.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

I think look a bit younger, but do have some first greys in my beard. All of my students are traditionally aged undergrads and most of my clients are younger than me also. Depending on the student/client I think I get "older brother" or "dad" projected onto me.
Age twin! How about that 1976, eh? Quite a year.

@Fan_of_Meehl it’s the compete set of the works of Harry Stack Sullivan, thankyouverymuch.

@Sanman you joined sdn when you were 21?! Pleas tell me you hope to make it to retirement on this board.

@Fan_of_Meehl it’s the compete set of the works of Harry Stack Sullivan, thankyouverymuch.

@Sanman you joined sdn when you were 21?! Pleas tell me you hope to make it to retirement on this board.

Lol, I joined this place around 17 or 18 in preparation for starting college as a pre-med. This is my 19th year here. By 21 I was in grad school already. This account pre-dates the psychology forum by a number of years.

EDIT: We'll see if this place is around when I retire.

Lol, I joined this place around 17 or 18 in preparation for starting college as a pre-med. This is my 19th year here. By 21 I was in grad school already. This account pre-dates the psychology forum by a number of years.

EDIT: We'll see if this place is around when I retire.
@Sanman are you happy with your choice for choosing clinical psych? I’m also trying to decide between med school and clinical psych and find it hard to decide

@Sanman are you happy with your choice for choosing clinical psych? I’m also trying to decide between med school and clinical psych and find it hard to decide

That's a complicated question. Overall, I am fairly happy with my decision. Having gotten into a funded program, the debt was manageable on the other side and I am fairly comfortable financially without having to work a crazy schedule. However, that is with my wife working a good job as well. I opted against med school for personal reasons as I felt working very long hours would be unmanageable for me in the later years of med school and in residency. Grad school offered more flexibility.

That said, I think I could be equally happy in psychiatry or neurology and there are more job options in major metro areas. If I were to go back, I would likely opt for a Psych NP degree. Seems like the best bang for the buck to me.

No show this morning, though it was sorely needed as I need to catch up on reports. 3 down so far today, 6 to go this week, along with a smattering of feedbacks. Other than that, contacting some colleagues to test the waters on possible openings over the next year.

No show this morning, though it was sorely needed as I need to catch up on reports. 3 down so far today, 6 to go this week, along with a smattering of feedbacks. Other than that, contacting some colleagues to test the waters on possible openings over the next year.
Openings for them or for you?

Openings for me.
Keep us in mind. I can offer three different versions of a bubble gun, plus unlimited access to play-doh and kush balls. You can also eat the goldfish crackers we use for the ADOS. You must be able to juggle at least 3 balls at a time to be considered for the position.

Keep us in mind. I can offer three different versions of a bubble gun, plus unlimited access to play-doh and kush balls. You can also eat the goldfish crackers we use for the ADOS. You must be able to juggle at least 3 balls at a time to be considered for the position.

I haven't done kid work in a good decade. But, I can juggle. Auto-didacted that ****

Good question, I need to use all of my vacation time and exhaust my several thousand dollars in 2020 CME funds before I leave this place. I'll have to do some math and get back to you.

Welcome aboard! I’ll order the bubble fluid. If we start the MA licensure and insurance paneling processes now, we should be able to bill for you by 2025. As long as you don’t have more than 10000 hours of vacation time accrued, you should be alright.

Welcome aboard! I’ll order the bubble fluid. If we start the MA licensure and insurance paneling processes now, we should be able to bill for you by 2025. As long as you don’t have more than 10000 hours of vacation time accrued, you should be alright.

I'm ABPP boarded, does your state have a fast track lane for licensure for that?

Aww, that's no fun. My salary requirements are at a good level, that may have been a sticking point anyway :(
Surprisingly, there’s a fair bit of scratch to be earned making play-doh birthday cakes and hiding things from toddlers under wash cloths. It’s not trail making money, but it keeps me livin’ hard the Honda CRV lifestyle!

Surprisingly, there’s a fair bit of scratch to be earned making play-doh birthday cakes and hiding things from toddlers under wash cloths. It’s not trail making money, but it keeps me livin’ hard the Honda CRV lifestyle!

Woop woop! Well, luckily I have a physician spouse, but, I also like having a high relative salary. Plus, they are only 2.5 years out of residency, so my technical net worth is so much higher at the moment. But, with her loans almost done, that gap will be bridged pretty quick.

I haven’t seen a kush ball (a real one) in forever :( Do you hire mock toddlers to practice on?:laugh:

Depends. How good are you at mocking toddlers? :thinking:
I can mock with the best of ‘em! Need a tantrum? :thumbup: Need non-edible objects shoved in the mouth?:sick::thumbup: Need mispronunciations and extra -ed or -s to words like mices?:thumbup: Hop on one foot and spin in a circle?:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Want true, unfiltered honesty that only young children can provide? Got it covered!:thumbup:

Just let me know where to send the resume :laugh:

We haven't had a "tone" argument on the board in a while. I'm kind of getting some withdrawal...

I don't like the way you said that, Wis.

EDIT: Your use of "tone" is offensive to me on mondays, wednesdays, and the second Friday of months that end in -ER. Please refrain from using such language on those days. Thank you.

Last edited: