Have I reinvented myself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baruch_Spinoza

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It would greatly benefit you if you continue taking classes to raise your sGPA above a 3.0. Have you calculated how many credits that might take? If it’s 1-2 more semesters of class, I would consider it before concentrating on the MCAT.

It is not necessary to retake a calculus-based physics for premed prerequisites, so feel free to choose the easier series.

@Goro would be a good person to ask.

It's an upward trend for sure, but the course load is very light. I'm assuming that you're working full time as well?

College physics (as opposed University physics) is fine.

Don't forget about shadowing and volunteer hours. (Obviously difficult because of COVID.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Just looking for advice. Graduated back in 2014 with a B.S. in Biochemistry/Chemistry from a UC. Decided to do a DYI Postbacc:

CourseSemester unitsTermGrade
Hematology2Spring 2017A
Molecular Cell Bio3Spring 2019A
Mammalian Phys3Spring 2019A
Microbiology
Psychology
Winter 2020
Winter 2020
A
A
Human Anatomy4Winter 2020A
Pulmonary Physiology2.67Spring 2020A
Pathophysiology2.67Spring 2020B
Intro to Virology2.67Fall 2020A+
Dev. Bio3.33Fall 2020A

I end up with a 2.97cGPA and a 2.87sGPA; Post-bacc (3.91 cGPA, 30 units) . Should I continue taking courses or should I stop and study for the MCAT?

I'm also planning on retaking prereqs in which I received a C- on: Ochem II and Physics II. I originally took calc-based Physics for engineers; when I retake it, can I take an algebra-based life science physics course instead?
I'd keep going until your cGPA is over 3.0 and if possible also your sGPA. These can prevent your application from being autoscreened at some institutions. The only minor concern would be rigor since it looks like you're only taking 2-3 classes per period.

It would greatly benefit you if you continue taking classes to raise your sGPA above a 3.0. Have you calculated how many credits that might take? If it’s 1-2 more semesters of class, I would consider it before concentrating on the MCAT.

It is not necessary to retake a calculus-based physics for premed prerequisites, so feel free to choose the easier series.
I concur

That looks pretty good. California is a tough state to find a spot in due to its having too many qualified applicants. Plan to apply broadly.

I crunched the numbers and I'd have to take 25 units (and get straight As) to get that sGPA above a 3.0. Think it's worth a shot applying this coming cycle?

It really depends on your MCAT score. If you score above 80th percentile, I think it's worth sending apps to DO schools this cycle. Above 90th percentile, MD might be worth it too if your list is good.

That said I think you should still take more classes during the cycle for Fall 2021 semester, so you can update schools with more grades.

Reactions: 1 user